couruthim
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not very confident about speaking French (in Year 12 btw), and I really want to improve my French speaking this summer- any suggestions?
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Speak out loud to yourself.

Think in French.

Find someone to speak to if you can (I've never had anyone though)

Watch some videos, and repeat some stuff
couruthim
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How can I find someone to speak to? I don't know if I can afford to go to France for this...
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by couruthim)
How can I find someone to speak to? I don't know if I can afford to go to France for this...

I've never been to France
Musie Suzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Record yourself speaking French and play it back - will help you to analyse your pronunciation and get used to hearing yourself speak French. Feels a bit silly at first but is very helpful! Find French news to watch and books to read, and do look at your reading and writing too - you need to learn any language as holistically as possible. There are probably websites where you can find other language learners and arrange to meet up if they're local, or Skype if they're abroad - swap your English skills for their French
razzor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
www.francaisfacile.com is a very good website to meet different French people
Shadesofgrey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by couruthim)
I'm not very confident about speaking French (in Year 12 btw), and I really want to improve my French speaking this summer- any suggestions?
Listening to French and prompting yourself to think in French (as mentioned above) helps a lot.

The next best thing to conversation with Frenchies or French speakers is to the read the dictionary. A good one...Not one of the pissy small pocket-book type, but the fully fledged Collins-Robert monster. It includes tons of colloquial and everyday phrases. Everything you need, i.e. eady-made, pre-fab phrases.

Why not get tutoring online? That's the beauty of the web... I got lots of speaking and listening practice, with a real native speaker- tutor; my parents paid and it was definitely worth every penny .
pickup
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Write down a list of questions in French for each topic you want to cover. Then try and answer them orally. You'll make a hash of it the first few times but will gradually get more fluent.

Write down the answers and then see if you can remember them and say them out loud from memory. Then start from the beginning again . Say the questions out loud and pretend to be the other person replying, but this time try and give a slightly different or more complex answer. Write the answers down again.

Listen to a native speaker and repeat what they say exactly. As many times as it takes for you to be perfect. Yes, that's right , perfect. Sing along in French.

You must have a French text book which will help you. Some have questions ready made for you.

Most people find speaking French difficult just because they've never really spent any time saying it out loud. Try half an hour in the morning, in the afternoon and then in the evening. The idea is to brain wash you!

Take particular care with words which English people find difficult. So, any word which begins with or has an R, any word which looks like an English word ( France, station ), any word with 'ar' in it, ( it doesn't sound like car, a in French sounds like a in at.) any word ending in 'ille', except for ville, most sound like the y at the start of you eg bouteille.
Sophie507
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Alliance Francaise might have a class near you, they mainly focus on conversation and all the teachers are native. Here in Scotland they have exam support classes so I would think they would offer them in England too.
Student_Sophie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know this is an old thread, but listening to French songs really helped with my pronunciation. Stromae was one of my particular favorites. Singing it in the shower got me a lot more confident when it came to actually speaking french
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads