Jaanu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
With a patient who has acute GI bleeding, why do they get hypotension by a blood transfusion?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jaanu)
With a patient who has acute GI bleeding, why do they get hypotension by a blood transfusion?
They would get hypotension due to the blood loss, as the cardiac output would fall, but why would they get it after a blood transfusion?
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jaanu)
Acute hypotensive transfusion reaction is where the patient goes hypotensive during a blood transfusion, though this resolves on stopping the transfusion.

It is a result of bradykinin production from activation of Factor XII due to contact with negatively charged surfaces e.g. the plastic tubing or dialysis filters.
It is seen more so now with patients who take ACE inhibitors, since angiotensin converting enzyme metabolises bradykinin.
Jaanu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Joshalos)
Acute hypotensive transfusion reaction is where the patient goes hypotensive during a blood transfusion, though this resolves on stopping the transfusion.

It is a result of bradykinin production from activation of Factor XII due to contact with negatively charged surfaces e.g. the plastic tubing or dialysis filters.
It is seen more so now with patients who take ACE inhibitors, since angiotensin converting enzyme metabolises bradykinin.
Thanks so much for replying! I was just wondering, while a patient is undergoing a blood transfusion,don't they come to a normal state from the hypotensive state as the blood volume is increasing?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jaanu)
Thanks so much for replying! I was just wondering, while a patient is undergoing a blood transfusion,don't they come to a normal state from the hypotensive state as the blood volume is increasing?
Yes, that would make sense, as BP = CO x TPR, CO = cardiac output, TPR = total peripheral resistance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads