The Student Room Group

do looks really matter?

Nowadays everybody judges each other on appearance and people can easily fall for others on social media e.g. "#wcw" & "mcm". i'd just like to know where others stand on this topic.

do looks matter or does having a good personality or good vibes around someone matter more

Scroll to see replies

Looks don't matter to me the slightest
I'm not sure why

Posted from TSR Mobile
i dont give a sh1t about looks. why? because its the inside what matters <3
No once can say they dont care about looks at all? Surely? Like there is a difference between being judgemental and shallow and first impressions totally don't get me wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Proxenus
i dont give a sh1t about looks. why? because its the inside what matters <3

Spare me the bull**** please. Yes of course looks matter.
I don't think they matter that much. Once you actually bond with someone you open up another side to them and you're able to see past their looks
(edited 8 years ago)
Obviously personality matters way more but that doesn't mean looks at not important - unless someone is really trying to get close to you for some reason (they're lonely/they think you'de make a good friend/they are forced to due to work/education placements/anything similar) then they will never get to know your personality and so your good personality won't make you look attractive.

So for the vast majority of people your looks are all that counts and that's why it is so important to look as good as you can.
Original post by JessicaSarhx_96
No once can say they dont care about looks at all? Surely? Like there is a difference between being judgemental and shallow and first impressions totally don't get me wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true!
Reply 8
Looks matter more than personality
Original post by Stefano93
Spare me the bull**** please. Yes of course looks matter.

prsom

looks do matter :lol: how will you pluck up the courage to approach them/respond if you don't find them attractive?
Reply 10
Original post by missaxo
I don't think they matter that much. Once you actually bond with someone you open up another side to them and you're able to see past their looks

I know but I've been in situations where people dismiss others and have done so to me without getting to know me
Original post by xs4
I know but I've been in situations where people dismiss others and have done so to me without getting to know me

It's really ****ty that people do that, and I'm sorry you've experienced it! I have too, it's horrible but they're horrible people that you don't need to get to know if they do that to you.
Of course they do,why would they not? but personality should count more.
Personality matters more..
idc...just respect me and you can be my friend
for me looks account for 0% because a real smile is obtained from ones personality <3

its the inside that matters and thats how you get attached <3 :smile:
Yes, it matters to a certain extent - when you initially see someone and have that attraction. But it won't take you far without a good personality.
Reply 17
Looks matter, at least for the initial attraction. When you then get to know them, it loses its importance..
What the hell is #wcw? Last I heard, WCW were getting bought over by WWF.

On seeing someone in the street:
It's not so much the looks that people judge others on as it is the stereotypes that looking the part brings into play. If someone dresses like a chav, you may immediately associate them with activities that are typically "chav", if someone dresses like a goth then you might immediately associate them with metal/emo and alternative culture in general, etc etc. As explained further below, this doesn't hold true for everyone.

On relationships:
Looks matter a hell of a lot because the very first thing you notice about someone is what they look like. As you'll find out sooner or later whether that person is suited to you or not anyway, I don't see this as a problem.

On friendships:
There are some people who don't immediately label others based on something as arbitrary as clothing. I'd like to think that this is the majority, but split-second judgement seems to be socially inherent, and some of us aren't willing to overlook it.
For those of us who have chosen to overlook it, we're blessed with a wide variety of friends who enjoy many different pastimes, films, music, etc.
They matter when you're first getting to know someone but I think they become less and less important as time goes on. For a relationship to really work there needs to be more than mutual physical attraction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending