The Student Room Group

Collage or sixth form??

I have no idea on what is the better option, college or sixth form. Suggestions would be great. ( just finished year 11
suffer from anxiety which unfourtently worries me about choosing to attend a college however I do not want this to affect my choice and If college is the better option I would
Love your opinions) kind regards.
(edited 8 years ago)
College and sixth form are really similar but to me the difference is you can get a bit more help from a sixth form while a college expects you to be more independent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dat spelling....
I would defiantly go with "collage" since your spelling is on point.
Reply 4
Original post by RoundTrip
Dat spelling....

I apologise for my spelling however, surely 'Dat' isn't a word?
Reply 5
Original post by Jaxter2k8

I spotted my mistake hahah thank you!
I have anxiety problems and choosing to go to college was the best option for me. College is a lot more relaxed, which was perfect for me as I stress out if I'm in a tense environment and end up not getting any work done! The teachers treat you like equals and adults, but revision and coursework is less structured too. At sixth form, if you don't do something, the teachers are on your back. At college if you don't do something, then that's your problem. Obviously there's good and bad points for each, just work out which is good for you ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming you spelt definitely wrong on purpose? 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Punk_Rock_Socks
I'm assuming you spelt definitely wrong on purpose? 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

You go to college :smile:.
Collage
The difference between sixth form and college in my eyes is that sixth form is a little bit more like school, in the way that courses are taken in a school or a school-like environment. For some students, being at a sixth form might be better if you need the extra kick up the back side to get your work completed and to get a better grade. Sixth forms usually only enrol school leavers aged 16-18 and usually they are known as years 12 and 13.

At a college they enrol all ages over 16, and there is a likelihood of being in a course with people who are older than you. Everyone at college is treated as an adult individual and they do not accept bullying or bad behaviour for a minute. At college you are completely responsible for every piece of work that you do. There is a lot of support available, and it may be offered to you if they see that you are struggling, but it will not be forced upon you like in sixth form.

The quality of teaching and the courses should be the same in both sixth form and college.

Whichever you choose, there will always be support available for your anxiety and anything else which troubles you. My college have been really good to me and have supported me through the past academic year, and in my opinion, college would be the better option. Sixth form was not for me, as I felt that I was being forced to do work and such, instead of completing it in my own time.
Depends on the sixth form and depends on the college. I personally chose the former. The difference is fairly negligible generally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You go to college :smile:.

I know I do, why do you feel the need to point it out?

Quick Reply

Latest