The Student Room Group

Top 5 composers! 🎵

Just wondering who everybody else's favourite composers are - baring in mind its a subjective matter. List your top 5 (descending order) favourite music composers (can be modern day ones too).
Personally;
1) Beethoven
2)Liszt
3) Chopin
4)Mozart
5)Vivaldi

My views many be slightly biased as a pianist taking favour of those with more complex piano sonatas 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ridwan1473
Just wondering who everybody else's favourite composers are - baring in mind its a subjective matter. List your top 5 (descending order) favourite music composers (can be modern day ones too).
Personally;
1) Beethoven
2)Liszt
3) Chopin
4)Mozart
5)Vivaldi

My views many be slightly biased as a pianist taking favour of those with more complex piano sonatas 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhhh I have lots of favourite composers, in no particular order (except Bach- he's the best)

1)Bach
2)Beethoven
3)Brahms
4)Schumann
5)Sibelius
Reply 2
Original post by Omni Vanitas
Ohhhh I have lots of favourite composers, in no particular order (except Bach- he's the best)

1)Bach
2)Beethoven
3)Brahms
4)Schumann
5)Sibelius

Yes i agree! Bachs Cello suites are the best😂 especially the unaccompanied cello suites by Yo-Yo Ma, perfectly played, expressed a great deal of emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dvorak
Rachmaninoff
Paganini
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven
Yes i agree! Bachs Cello suites are the best😂 especially the unaccompanied cello suites by Yo-Yo Ma, perfectly played, expressed a great deal of emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, he plays them really well! Though, have to say, Bach's keyboard works are very complex and amazing! If you have time, listen to them played by Trevor Pinnock :smile:
Reply 5
Beethoven
Shostakovich
Bach
Philip Glass

not sure about #5, probably one of Reich/Dvorak/Bartok/Vivaldi
Original post by poohat
Beethoven
Shostakovich
Bach
Philip Glass

not sure about #5, probably one of Reich/Dvorak/Bartok/Vivaldi

Philip Glass? An unusual choice! What do you like about his pieces?
Reply 7
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Dvorak
Rachmaninoff
Paganini
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven

Ahhh i completely forgot Rachmaninoff! He is definitely one of the best pianists who ever lived, his skill is unrivalled 😎

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah, he plays them really well! Though, have to say, Bach's keyboard works are very complex and amazing! If you have time, listen to them played by Trevor Pinnock :smile:

I had no idea he composed keyboard pieces! & thanks, I'll listen to them later on tonight 😎

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strauss II
Chopin
Bizet
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven.

I just love waltzes.
I had no idea he composed keyboard pieces! & thanks, I'll listen to them later on tonight 😎

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Toccata in D minor bwv 565 is the most famous- I'm sure you've heard it :smile:. Have to say tho, the BWV 912 is great
Reply 11
The Toccata in D minor bwv 565 is the most famous- I'm sure you've heard it :smile:. Have to say tho, the BWV 912 is great

Ahh Toccata and fugue! My bad, i couldn't remember 😫 hahaha Classic composition, always associated with horror films 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a massive Liszt fan.

After that:

2) Shostakovitch
3) Rachmaninoff
4) Schumann
5) Dvorak/Ravel
Reply 13
Original post by battycatlady
I'm a massive Liszt fan.

After that:

2) Shostakovitch
3) Rachmaninoff
4) Schumann
5) Dvorak/Ravel

Hmmmm, are you a pianist by any chance?? & i agree, all of them are amazing composers that composed very complex piano pieces

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Dvorak
Rachmaninoff
Paganini
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven

Ditto on the Dvorak, his symphonies are some of my favourite pieces of music that I've ever heard.

So (as a pianist)...
Dvorak
Debussy
Beethoven
Chopin
Vaughn-Williams/Gershwin
Bach, Mozart, Beethoven...need I say more?

Very difficult. Currently enjoying Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, also love Faure's Requiem, but wouldn't rate either as consistently great composers.

Beethoven's Emperor Piano concerto mvt 2 and 'Shepherds give thanks' from his 6th symphony are ethereal. But Bach's 'jesu, son of man's desiring' is heaven elevator music, as is 'Liebster Gott' and so many others. And Mozart is just...perfection. Watch Amadeus.
1/Wagner
2/Beethoven
3/Mozart
4/Brahms
5/J S Bach
Original post by BloodandThunder
1/Wagner
2/Beethoven
3/Mozart
4/Brahms
5/J S Bach

Blasphemy! How dare you rate Wagner higher than Bach :laugh:
Blasphemy! How dare you rate Wagner higher than Bach :laugh:

I do consider myself a Wagnerian. Der Pilger Chor is my favourite. He inspired me to learn German
Hmmmm, are you a pianist by any chance?? & i agree, all of them are amazing composers that composed very complex piano pieces

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish. I have absolutely zero musical talents; I just love classical music!

Quick Reply

Latest