Muslims on freshers week 2015 - what is everyone thinking of doing? Watch

perksofbeingme
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As we all know freshers week is a lot about going clubbing and meeting new people. So are you guys going to clubs but not drinking or do you have any other ideas? Just curious to know how everyone's thinking of tackling this
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by perksofbeingme)
As we all know freshers week is a lot about going clubbing and meeting new people. So are you guys going to clubs but not drinking or do you have any other ideas? Just curious to know how everyone's thinking of tackling this
Islamic Society exists, they have gotten better with providing alternative events
perksofbeingme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Islamic Society exists, they have gotten better with providing alternative events
Really? I know about Islamic societies but didn't know about what they offered for freshers. I know a lot of Muslims to go clubbing but without drinking as I've read on some of the forums here so was just wondering
Jubz1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't mind going to the clubs so long as the atmosphere is cool. I'll plan on going to every fresher's event that relates to me
AngelaMckenzie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go clubbing listening to music, dancing, surrounding yourself around alcohol and people acting dirty?
Don't think that's the place for Muslims to be honest.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really? I know about Islamic societies but didn't know about what they offered for freshers. I know a lot of Muslims to go clubbing but without drinking as I've read on some of the forums here so was just wondering
Some are great, in my opinion Imperial ISOC leads the way, with a alternative freshers week activity, just loads of events. Many of the other big ISOC's are following, UCL, Kings and QM definitely offer a lot.

QM had a little get together as a way to eat together and meet and greet...football tournament and a talk on surviving uni life with all the haraam stuff. After that it is usually Charity Week related planning, events, dinner, etc
perksofbeingme
Rep:
?
Some are great, in my opinion Imperial ISOC leads the way, with a alternative freshers week activity, just loads of events. Many of the other big ISOC's are following, UCL, Kings and QM definitely offer a lot.

QM had a little get together as a way to eat together and meet and greet...football tournament and a talk on surviving uni life with all the haraam stuff. After that it is usually Charity Week related planning, events, dinner, etc
Wow that actually sounds really good. I never realised because that isn't something that is advertised or talked about often it's usually just the clubbing. But yh if QM do hold such events then I'm definitely taking part 😃
perksofbeingme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jubz1)
I don't mind going to the clubs so long as the atmosphere is cool. I'll plan on going to every fresher's event that relates to me
Yh this seems to be the popular answer from most Muslims on here to be honest but to each their own 😊
perksofbeingme
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngelaMckenzie)
Go clubbing listening to music, dancing, surrounding yourself around alcohol and people acting dirty?
So what do you plan on doing?
And are you Muslim? (Just curious to know)
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was sooo depressed in my first week of uni, freshers week, I completely disappeared, remember very little of it.

EDIT: Although religion didn't make this happen to me, i did have a spiritual crisis when i first started uni, completely ruined any fresher activities for me.
derma2019
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yh this seems to be the popular answer from most Muslims on here to be honest but to each their own 😊
For many its the first time they'll have freedom. I just hope people don't do anything they'll regret. First year is about finding your feet.
I have some friends who have gone completely wild aha and others who did but now regret the clubbing, partying and in some cases drinking. Then theres the minority who didn't need to go to the clubs to fit in. It can be difficult being isolated from the majority, but you'll find your own group...
Anyway my advice: do what you want just remember don't do anything for anyone else because when they leave you, you'll have to deal with the regret/consequences.
derma2019
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MJlover)
I was sooo depressed in my first week of uni, freshers week, I completely disappeared, remember very little of it.

EDIT: Although religion didn't make this happen to me, i did have a spiritual crisis when i first started uni, completely ruined any fresher activities for me.

I understand you! However, religion has become a bigger part of my life since Uni. Seeing many others go astray really scared me.
I'm not particularly religious nor from a religious family :/
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I also met a lot of people in ISOC and made instant friends in the week after freshers week.

Can't even imagine a muslim going clubbing in these London unis, the level of commitment to the deen is high amongst our student population in London.

Maybe in the unis outside of the city/regional unis.
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow that actually sounds really good. I never realised because that isn't something that is advertised or talked about often it's usually just the clubbing. But yh if QM do hold such events then I'm definitely taking part 😃
Are you starting QM this September?
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You gotta like all the relevant society pages like the ISOCs to stay informed about it and go pray in the prayer room and jummah.
Jubz1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AngelaMckenzie)
Generally, theres nothing wrong with dancing and the sort. Besides, not everyone goes there for those reasons and i dont think the average Muslim will take part in anything not allowed
The.Joker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll definitely be avoiding clubs/pubs/bars. I don't see how any practicing Muslims can justify spending time in any of those places tbh. I'm sure there'll be like minded individuals who we can spend time with during freshers. I'll definitely join the ISOC and take part in any events they run during freshers.
perksofbeingme
Rep:
?
(Original post by HAnwar)
Are you starting QM this September?
Yep I am
perksofbeingme
Rep:
?
(Original post by MJlover)
I also met a lot of people in ISOC and made instant friends in the week after freshers week.

Can't even imagine a muslim going clubbing in these London unis, the level of commitment to the deen is high amongst our student population in London.

Maybe in the unis outside of the city/regional unis.
You are really lucky. I'm really hoping to make some friends that aren't all about partying and can actually keep me close to my seen instead of leading me astray
perksofbeingme
Rep:
?
You gotta like all the relevant society pages like the ISOCs to stay informed about it and go pray in the prayer room and jummah.
Yh I do intent on being involved in these sort of things but I thought that would be through freshers fair
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Queen Mary University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads