Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a silly question, but as it is possible to polarise the electric field vector of light waves, is it possible to polarise the magnetic field vector of electromagnetic radiation? In all my notes it says that polarisation is only concerned with the electric field, but how come it doesn't involve the magnetic field?

Thanks

(Original post by Hoofbeat)
    This is probably a silly question, but as it is possible to polarise the electric field vector of light waves, is it possible to polarise the magnetic field vector of electromagnetic radiation? In all my notes it says that polarisation is only concerned with the electric field, but how come it doesn't involve the magnetic field?

Thanks
    we havent actually done or mentioned this at all, but wouldnt polarising the electric field sort of automatically polarise the magnetic field?

i may be compleeeeeeeeeeeeeetely wrong here though!

rosie

ReputationRep:
    http://scholar.hw.ac.uk/site/physics...asp?outline=no useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    we havent actually done or mentioned this at all, but wouldnt polarising the electric field sort of automatically polarise the magnetic field?

i may be compleeeeeeeeeeeeeetely wrong here though!

rosie
    of course it would since they are at right angles to each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    of course it would since they are at right angles to each other.
    I agree as that seems logical, it's just in the notes we were given on Polarisation it says "Polarisation is only concerned with the electric field vector" which implies to me that magnetic fields are not polarisable, but then that didn't make sense considering electromagnetic radiation consists of the interaction between electric fields and magnetic fields at right angles to one another! :s

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.