Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    here are some questions i gatrherd up from revising unit 1 today. if anyone can help ill be very thankfull!

The syllabus says:

Compare between Insulin and Collagen in terms of roles of Disulphide and ionic bonds/ and fibrous and Globular structures! How do we compare between the 2 proteins>
    Question:

What is the role of mRNA and tRNA in the transcription/translation of protiens?

Whats is the structure of the RIBOSOME?

Spercificatio says:

appreciate the human genome project in the light of the structure and roles of nucliec acids; consider the spiritual,moral,ethical,socail. and cultural issues of this project!
    What should i know about that>?

Immobilised Lactose:

Question: as we increase the flow rate of lactose soln, throght a tube of immobilised lactase, the concerntration of glucos increase, up to a Maximum, then begins todrop, as flow rate continoues to rise...... Explain
    !

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    here are some questions i gatrherd up from revising unit 1 today. if anyone can help ill be very thankfull!

The syllabus says:

Question:

Spercificatio says:

What should i know about that>?

Immobilised Lactose:

!

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Insulin is globular, collagen is fibrous.

mRNA is complementary to the DNA segment containing the gene (with the introns removed) and tRNA transports the amino acid molecules based on its anticodon sequence.

Ribosomes in eukaryotes are made of a 50s and a 30s sub-unit (total 80s) and of a 50s and a 20s sub-unit in prokaryotes (total 70s).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)

mRNA is complementary to the DNA segment containing the gene (with the introns removed) and tRNA transports the amino acid molecules based on its anticodon sequence.

Ribosomes in eukaryotes are made of a 50s and a 30s sub-unit (total 80s) and of a 50s and a 20s sub-unit in prokaryotes (total 70s).

What are the ribosomes made up from?

and the question about comapring between insulin, collagen with 4-5 marks....

could you be of any more help, plz?

and are you doin AS bio this year as well, and if so what book are you using????

ReputationRep:
    Ribosomes are made from ribosomal RNA and protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)

More specifically, ribosomes are actually "made" of rRNA, basically a type of RNA chain of nucleotides like in mRNA and tRNA. I forget exactly what the structure of rRNA is, because mRNA is single strands and tRNA is a clover-leaf shape with hydrogen bonding between nucleotides in the "straight" bits of the molecule.

Can anyone clarify please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    What are the ribosomes made up from?

and the question about comapring between insulin, collagen with 4-5 marks....

could you be of any more help, plz?

and are you doin AS bio this year as well, and if so what book are you using????
    ribosomal RNA (rRNA)

collagen has a triple helix, a regular sequence of amino acids and is insoluble.
    insulin has a highly specific primary structure (does not vary amonsgt 2 insulin molecules), is spherical in shape and is soluble.

I'm doing A2 biology this year, I don't know what book I used last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahir)
    More specifically, ribosomes are actually "made" of rRNA, basically a type of RNA chain of nucleotides like in mRNA and tRNA. I forget exactly what the structure of rRNA is, because mRNA is single strands and tRNA is a clover-leaf shape with hydrogen bonding between nucleotides in the "straight" bits of the molecule.

Can anyone clarify please?
    yeah that's correct. and ribosomes are made up 2 subunits, and ribosomes are where the mRNA is translated, and proteins produced from amino acids which are brough to the ribosomes by tRNA.

ReputationRep:
    Thnx guys, know this may sound wierd, but if any of you need help, ill be more than happy to give it,....

Cheers!!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.