The Student Room Group

290 million spent since 2013..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
You can be a non-local and be on the same level as the locals though. An Indian guy that travels to see United once every 5 years is putting in more effort than a guy who lives down the road from Old Trafford.

Makes no sense.

If you're going once every five years it's basically tourism, any **** can do that. There are posters on here going to the Clasico, or have visited the Nou Camp - are they making more effort than the locals who go every week?

Original post by billydisco
If "getting" disagreeing with foreign fans watching football matches distances me further from yourself, then thank ****ing god!ps Never put "not gonna bother explaining" as its pretty much the same as "erm...... well.... because I said so"

Where did I say they couldn't watch matches. You are from Kidderminster and support a team from Lancashire. Why?
Original post by difeo
You can be a non-local and be on the same level as the locals though. An Indian guy that travels to see United once every 5 years is putting in more effort than a guy who lives down the road from Old Trafford and goes to every home game.

Well, of course you can have locals that don't really care, but for the locals that do care, they are a cut above the rest. I'm sorry, they just are. I know that's a ****ty reason to give you but honestly, if you are a local fan & have always been you'll get it.
Reply 82
Original post by Wilfred Little
Makes no sense.

If you're going once every five years it's basically tourism, any **** can do that. There are posters on here going to the Clasico, or have visited the Nou Camp - are they making more effort than the locals who go every week?

Where did I say they couldn't watch matches. You are from Kidderminster and support a team from Lancashire. Why?

A rich student flying for 2 hours from London to Barcelona and going to the Nou Camp as part of a holiday isn't quite the same as what I had in mind.
Makes no sense.

I've been to watch Real Madrid within the last 2 years, just to back up your point.
Original post by difeo
A rich student flying for 2 hours from London to Barcelona and going to the Nou Camp as part of a holiday isn't quite the same as what I had in mind.

Well it is tourism and it is a holiday. Do you think they are not going to take 500 pics on their 50mp camera phone and visit the city centre or stop the night?

It's tourism plain and simple.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Well, of course you can have locals that don't really care, but for the locals that do care, they are a cut above the rest. I'm sorry, they just are. I know that's a ****ty reason to give you but honestly, if you are a local fan & have always been you'll get it.

It was Zurich, I apologise.
Reply 86

Well it is tourism and it is a holiday. Do you think they are not going to take 500 pics on their 50mp camera phone and visit the city centre or stop the night?It's tourism plain and simple.
Point is if there's people that care hugely about how their team's doing, and save up to go to games as often as possible, they're as big a fan as anyone. The only difference between that person and the local guy is the luck of where they were born.
Original post by difeo
Point is if there's people that care hugely about how their team's doing, and save up to go to games as often as possible, they're as big a fan as anyone. The only difference between that person and the local guy is the luck of where they were born.

This would be true if these guys were supporting Palace, Norwich and Bradford as often as Utd but they are clearly just bandaggon glory hunters who wouldnt stick around a day if that success came to an end. And they're not as big a fan. They hype themselves up with replica shirts and cringe catchphrases but end of the day in their heart of hearts they dont truly belong.

The English language is a curse too as everything is so accessible. I know a proper Bayern fan who resents the new fans they get but just says they'll never be able to camouflage themselves like in England because proper Bayern fans will just discuss things in Bavarian-German :laugh:

Incidentally I saw some far-east Bayern 'fan' going nuts over Scheinsteiger being a local Munich boy on twitter. Why even pretend to relate to that? It's ludicrous
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo

But why is this fan based hundreds of miles away investing in Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea instead of their local team which most likely isn't doing well?

Why are they going through the effort to fund these superclubs when there's probably a decent football league club within spitting distance? (For argument sake we'll just talk about England residing fans)
Reply 89
But why is this fan based hundreds of miles away investing in Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea instead of their local team which most likely isn't doing well?

Why are they going through the effort to fund these superclubs when there's probably a decent football league club within spitting distance? (For argument sake we'll just talk about England residing fans)

Maybe when they were choosing their team as a kid they weren't able to go to games of their local club, so their only way of having any involvement in a team was through TV, so they chose one of the big clubs that are on TV more. And by the time they're old enough to go to local games without needing money/transport/permission from their parents, they've been supporting a club for 10 years and they're meant to just switch?

Or, ignoring the issue of getting to games, it's understandable that an 8 year old picking a club just picks one of the better teams, then develops an attachment to them.

And for the Asian fans, a lot of them won't even have a local club.
Original post by difeo
Maybe when they were choosing their team as a kid they weren't able to go to games of their local club, so their only way of having any involvement in a team was through TV, so they chose one of the big clubs that are on TV more. And by the time they're old enough to go to local games without needing money/transport/permission from their parents, they've been supporting a club for 10 years and they're meant to just switch?

Or, ignoring the issue of getting to games, it's understandable that an 8 year old picking a club just picks one of the better teams, then develops an attachment to them.

I, and no one else, is struggling to understand why people support top clubs, I even get how people can be 'locked in' by supporting a team when they were a kid and can't switch and I respect that. I've met a fair few Leeds fans who have no real tie to Leeds, but we were a dominant force when they were kids and they got stuck with us. And credit to those fans for sticking with us through our implosion. But I still don't put them on the same pedestal as the local fan who has always & always will support his hometown team regardless of league position and size
Original post by difeo

Sorry to get all high and mighty but you can't replicate the feeling of having a club "in your blood" so to speak. I'm not denying these guys aren't big fans but they just aren't on the same level and probably won't ever understand.

One of my earliest memories is sitting watching the FA Cup draw, the only photo I have of my Grandad is with Joe Harvey and the Fairs Cup, my family holiday in 98 was cancelled for the FA cup final ffs and I could go on and on. You just can't replicate those sort of feelings and attachments.
Reply 92
I, and no one else, is struggling to understand why people support top clubs, I even get how people can be 'locked in' by supporting a team when they were a kid and can't switch and I respect that. I've met a fair few Leeds fans who have no real tie to Leeds, but we were a dominant force when they were kids and they got stuck with us. And credit to those fans for sticking with us through our implosion. But I still don't put them on the same pedestal as the local fan who has always & always will support his hometown team regardless of league position and size

That's my point though, there's plenty of non locals who will do that too. Not as high a proportion as the locals but they exist, and when they do, I'd consider them equal. I can see why a lot of the locals don't though.
Reply 93
Of course, local audiences are a football club's lifeblood. Too much is made of what constitutes a 'real fan' or not, though. I support Liverpool. My family are Manchester United or Manchester City fans, having grown up in Salford. I chose Liverpool as a five or six year old upon seeing Robbie Fowler with that streak of blonde hair completely dismantle United at Old Trafford.

I'm not a glory hunter, because Liverpool weren't winning anything. I was too young to give a **** about success. I loved Fowler, and then Owen, and Liverpool became my team because I completely adored everything about them during the 90s: the Scouse charm, the away kits, the red nets at Anfield, Fowler and Owen and Redknapp etc.

I go to Anfield half a dozen times a season: usually all the League Cup and FA Cup matches, because I have a membership card which guarantees me a seat for every home tie, and a handful of PL matches against bottom half opposition or mid-table outfits.

I never had that emotional connection to any other club, and I moved to Milton Keynes as a youngster so the only 'local' clubs were Northampton (20 miles away) and Luton Town (30 miles away), both of which I had no connection to.
Im with Mackay. I've had the misfortune of growing up as a Leeds United supporter, yet I live in South Wales. I didn't even know Cardiff and Swansea had football teams until I was too far in with Leeds (plus I've met Cardiff fans and Im glad I didn't become one of those). Does Leeds run in my blood? Probably not. Do I go to as many Leeds games as someone in Leeds? Highly doubt it. But I'll give everything I can to support them, through thick and thin, and that hasn't always been easy.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Im with Mackay. I've had the misfortune of growing up as a Leeds United supporter, yet I live in South Wales. I didn't even know Cardiff and Swansea had football teams until I was too far in with Leeds (plus I've met Cardiff fans and Im glad I didn't become one of those). Does Leeds run in my blood? Probably not. Do I go to as many Leeds games as someone in Leeds? Highly doubt it. But I'll give everything I can to support them, through thick and thin, and that hasn't always been easy.

You're a bit different I guess, as you could've switched to either Cardiff or Swans recently. Especially Swans.
You're a bit different I guess, as you could've switched to either Cardiff or Swans recently. Especially Swans.

Switching is never ok under any circumstances.

I'll always take an interest in the team local to where I live (e.g the team where I live now are in the Championship, and were very recently in the Premier League) and attend the odd game, but i'll never actually support them.
Original post by sr90
Switching is never ok under any circumstances.

I'll always take an interest in the team local to where I live (e.g the team where I live now are in the Championship, and were very recently in the Premier League) and attend the odd game, but i'll never actually support them.

I disagree.

Have to disagree with you there, Wilf. Switching teams is the biggest sin a person can make in my opinion. If Leeds folded I don't think I'd bother supporting another club.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Have to disagree with you there, Wilf. Switching teams is the biggest sin a person can make in my opinion. If Leeds folded I don't think I'd bother supporting another club.

It's not tbh, I'd probably put murder, rape and wearing Huaraches before that.

I've openly said I've got my line that I don't want my club to ever cross and if they do I'll go and support Shrewsbury or Walsall or summut.

One of them was being taken over by Red Bull and completely changing our identity. There was another but I've forgot what it was.

Quick Reply

Latest