The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pencil Queen
My other half works from home one day a week and I'm working on getting it standard for me too.

But you don't do any work PQ - except for helping peeps like us :biggrin:
shiny
But you don't do any work PQ - except for helping peeps like us :biggrin:

Cheek!

I work very hard most of the time...I only come on here as an alternative to mucking about with the photocopier instead of doing the few jobs I don't like :tongue:
Reply 22
Weejimmie
The supposed "right" for quick and easy travel and cheap fuel is only a very recent development. Even compared with twenty years ago the price of fuel is comparatively low. Given that motorists do more damage and kill more people than drug addicts I have no oibjection to squeezing the pipsqueaks till their pips squeak. They've got legs, so they can use them to walk, instead of pressing pedals in cars.

Recent development my arse. Back when a horse was a viable method of transport those who had the means to own one had the "right" to (comparably) "quick and easy travel" just as anyone who owns a car does today.

Comparing motorists to drug addicts is just daft. The average motorist is a thousand times less dangerous and likely to cause harm to others than the average drug addict.
Reply 23
Pencil Queen
Cheek!

I work very hard most of the time...I only come on here as an alternative to mucking about with the photocopier instead of doing the few jobs I don't like :tongue:

You do seem to work very quickly :smile:

On topic ... I am stocking up on biscuits and other readies just in case they decide to blockade the roads again.
shiny
You do seem to work very quickly :smile:

On topic ... I am stocking up on biscuits and other readies just in case they decide to blockade the roads again.

I've made sure I've got enough fuel to get to pilton on the 23rd of June....other than that I can cope without a car :cool:
randdom
People will reduce their consumption if it costs them a fortune to drive.

Raising the price of petrol has little effect on consumption. The huge taxes on fuel are there primarily to raise money. Raising income tax is now regarded as political suicide, so governments have to find subtler ways of raising tax.
Harry Potter
Raising the price of petrol has little effect on consumption.

Well the increases in the last month have made my weekly spend on petrol increase from £35 to £45...hence my decision to try to work from home more often and bring the weekly costs back down again.

An average trip to see my parents in Liverpool costs around £70 in petrol (or did before the prices rose), by train in December we paid £36 return for 2 of us...we're never driving up again, not only was it cheaper but the journey was far more enjoyable.

Petrol prices *do* affect consumption...although they have less effect on the wealthy than they do on the poor.
Reply 27
I hate protesting. I never got the protesting bug.
shiny

I love protesting - but blockades and pickets aren't the way to protest.
Reply 29
Pencil Queen
I love protesting - but blockades and pickets aren't the way to protest.

I can tell you are the protesting type :wink:

I prefer to get into positions of power and then affect change from within! :smile: That is much more my style.
Reply 30
shiny

Some people get obsessed by it, and it becomes quite sad. One of the teachers wives from my old school was fanatically "green", and use to think she'd "won" if she got arrested. Um, no, getting arrested isn't going to make anyone listen to you, it's their way of telling you to shut up and be a bit more realistic.
shiny
I can tell you are the protesting type :wink:

Who me?

I'm more into putting my money where my mouth is and letter writing than marching around with placards...:smile:

http://www.stopesso.com
Reply 32
I would have thought that if freight is moved onto the rails it would be better fro cars as well. Less damage to roads by heavy lorries, fewer vehrcles on the roads causing congestion and less fule being used, thus reducing prices by lowering demand. i would have some sympathy for lowering petrol prices, but only if the cost of desile to hauliers goes up to make up for lost revenue.
Btw, thinck of what the 47p tx per litre pays for - even the Tories said oit was worth it.
Reply 33
Pencil Queen
Employers - if they want staff and base their businesses in inner city areas or in areas inaccessible by public transport employers will have to start funding either higher wages to pay for workers to live near by or for them to pay for petrol/public transport costs.

They do have a right to protest - they do not have a right to disrupt petrol stations/refinaries - that's the equivalent of secondary pickoting and illegal...they also do not have the right to purposely obstruct a public highway through the use of go-slows - that's also illegal.

You don't seem to be looking at the larger picture here. If companies raise staff wages to cover petrol costs, the consumer will then be held responsible to pay for the higher petrol costs and higher wages resulting in an economy break down.

The protesters don't block the refineries they just park outside protesting, it's the oil refinery staff who don't wish to drive past the protesters. This is not illegal, this is classed as a peaceful protest.
Reply 34
ToshTrent
You don't seem to be looking at the larger picture here. If companies raise staff wages to cover petrol costs, the consumer will then be held responsible to pay for the higher petrol costs and higher wages resulting in an economy break down.

The protesters don't block the refineries they just park outside protesting, it's the oil refinery staff who don't wish to drive past the protesters. This is not illegal, this is classed as a peaceful protest.

What about their go slows. They bring major ateries to a crawling pace. This costs the economy millions, sends ordinary people mad, and does nothng but harm. They did not just stand outside, they blocked roads and there was talk, last tiem round about getting the army in to move their tractors etc. out of the way.
Reply 35
InterCity125
What about their go slows. They bring major ateries to a crawling pace. This costs the economy millions, sends ordinary people mad, and does nothng but harm. They did not just stand outside, they blocked roads and there was talk, last tiem round about getting the army in to move their tractors etc. out of the way.

Hmm, I don't see any use of the go slows, but this may be away of making the government work alittle faster of resolving the situation.

The government works for us, not us for them.
ToshTrent
Hmm, I don't see any use of the go slows, but this may be away of making the government work alittle faster of resolving the situation.

The government works for us, not us for them.

how exactly are we working for the gov at the moment?
so the gov. is getting extra tax = more money for schools/NHS
Reply 37
Speciez99
how exactly are we working for the gov at the moment?
so the gov. is getting extra tax = more money for schools/NHS

They're just taking us all for rides. The NHS get funding mainly for our National Insurance. If they need all this tax they should just charge one tax, not all the stealth taxes, on savings, vat etc.

Perhaps we should just say no to brussels and then have the money for schools and new hospitals.
ToshTrent
They're just taking us all for rides. The NHS get funding mainly for our National Insurance. If they need all this tax they should just charge one tax, not all the stealth taxes, on savings, vat etc.

Perhaps we should just say no to brussels and then have the money for schools and new hospitals.

you making no sense what so ever, you are at the end of the day going to see the benifits of extra tax in terms of the prosperity of the country, as the money isn't being sneaked off into someone's bank account and out of the system.

How has europe got anything to do with the Fuel prices?

and please actually explain why you feel the government is taking us for a ride rather than putting an acusation down and then relying on half truths and avoiding the question to substainate your claims.
I think that tax on petrol is a good way for the government to obtain revenue -- the money for public services has to come from somewhere! Petrol consumption inarguably damages the environment, so high petrol prices are a good way of discouraging excessive consumption e.g. by encouraging people to live near where they work, and looking at public transport, cycling, and walking. And although people moan about petrol prices, they obviously aren't high enough to have a significant effect on people's habits -- look at the number of 4x4s and other high-consumption cars that are about. Although I definitely feel that public transport and cycling should have money put into it.

Latest