The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Speciez99
you making no sense what so ever, you are at the end of the day going to see the benifits of extra tax in terms of the prosperity of the country, as the money isn't being sneaked off into someone's bank account and out of the system.

How has europe got anything to do with the Fuel prices?

and please actually explain why you feel the government is taking us for a ride rather than putting an acusation down and then relying on half truths and avoiding the question to substainate your claims.

I'd personal benefit alot more from having the money for myself, so I can a steady life style than funding every Tom, Dick and Harry who needs to go into hospital or have a filling at the dentist due to self abuse.

People say we need to tax the petrol so the Government has money to supply to Schools and Hospitals. If Britain stopped giving something like 50million a day to Brussels then we would have the money for these services resulting in the tax on petrol being reduced.

I believe the Government are taking us for a ride, as they charge ridiculous levels of Tax from the workers and splash out on ridiculous ventures like the Millennium Dome, Posh Lunches for the MPs in the commons, (they should bring a packed lunch like the rest of us), give money to the pointless monarchy. We pay for hospital treatment which we must wait months for, and then it's done a crap level. Unless we pay an addition £££'s on the treatment, then we can jump this list and be treated correctly. Need I go on...
ToshTrent -- you are going off the point. This debate has to assume that taxation is necessary, and the point which is being debated is whether it is a good or bad thing to have high taxes on petrol (as opposed to raising income tax, for example, or gaining the revenue through taxing something else).
ToshTrent
I'd personal benefit alot more from having the money for myself, so I can a steady life style than funding every Tom, Dick and Harry who needs to go into hospital or have a filling at the dentist due to self abuse.

People say we need to tax the petrol so the Government has money to supply to Schools and Hospitals. If Britain stopped giving something like 50million a day to Brussels then we would have the money for these services resulting in the tax on petrol being reduced.

I believe the Government are taking us for a ride, as they charge ridiculous levels of Tax from the workers and splash out on ridiculous ventures like the Millennium Dome, Posh Lunches for the MPs in the commons, (they should bring a packed lunch like the rest of us), give money to the pointless monarchy. We pay for hospital treatment which we must wait months for, and then it's done a crap level. Unless we pay an addition £££'s on the treatment, then we can jump this list and be treated correctly. Need I go on...

as alexander has already pointed you are going off the point. The EU is another part of the budget and has nothing to do with the price of petrol. You have failed to identify why on the issue of taxation of petrol the gov. is taking us for a rid.
Reply 43
Speciez99
as alexander has already pointed you are going off the point. The EU is another part of the budget and has nothing to do with the price of petrol. You have failed to identify why on the issue of taxation of petrol the gov. is taking us for a rid.

Rite, paying more money on TAX than the product, is outrageous.
ToshTrent
Rite, paying more money on TAX than the product, is outrageous.

Why? I think it would be outrageous if the tax were any lower, considering how high the environmental costs are.
Reply 45
Alexander
Why? I think it would be outrageous if the tax were any lower, considering how high the environmental costs are.

Yeh but the creation of concrete caused 1 tonne of carbon dioxide for every tonne of concrete. They don't crame a huge tax on that.

But my point being is, America don't charge this outrageous amount, something like 29 pence at the moment and they are windging. A small country like England isn't going to cause enough pollution to destroy the world, unlike America.
Reply 46
ToshTrent
But my point being is, America don't charge this outrageous amount, something like 29 pence at the moment and they are windging. A small country like England isn't going to cause enough pollution to destroy the world, unlike America.

Good point.
ToshTrent
Yeh but the creation of concrete caused 1 tonne of carbon dioxide for every tonne of concrete. They don't crame a huge tax on that.

yeah but concrete is used less than cars are

America is very different is condemmed by the world by its over use of oil, just because someone murders someone it does not make it right for everyone to
ToshTrent

Well perhaps there should be a tax on concrete then? However it is a different situation, as there isn't usually an alternative to the use of concrete, and overall it produces less carbon dioxide, plus it doesn't make cities smell or force people to breath in all the nasty chemicals that are in car fumes.

ToshTrent

Just because America is acting so irresponsibly doesn't mean we should -- and every little helps.
Personally, I am fed up of the certain variety of motorist that is always complaining about fuel prices, speed cameras etc. Streets are for people with a bit for cars in the middle, not motorways with shops on the side. And even if a rise in fuel prices doesn't change the attitude of drivers, it could change those of people who don't drive - I for example have no intention of learning to drive and that decision is partly based on the high cost of fuel.

And as for concrete - concrete is a solid and is actually useful after its production whereas fuel, once consumed, does only bad for the environment. To put them together is silly.
Quite a large proportion of people could cut their fuel bills dramatically atm by removing those bloody stupid tacky little england flags...
Reply 51
As for concrete, the roads are made out of it.
I look forard eagerly to the lorry-drivers, 4WD maniacs and white van idiots heading off to take on al- Qaida.
Reply 52
Alexander
Well perhaps there should be a tax on concrete then? However it is a different situation, as there isn't usually an alternative to the use of concrete, and overall it produces less carbon dioxide, plus it doesn't make cities smell or force people to breath in all the nasty chemicals that are in car fumes.

TAX isn't the answer though, the government need to help the people change their life styles to work around this problem, not just charge more and not provide an alternative.
Reply 53
ToshTrent
TAX isn't the answer though, the government need to help the people change their life styles to work around this problem, not just charge more and not provide an alternative.
Petrol incurs a cost outside its basic private cost - that of social cost, negative externalitys; namely pollution.
If tax isn't charged then this extra cost to society is not paid for, thus meaning more petrol used, and therefore more pollution and congestion (which I may add is the biggest cost to the UK each year...and partly the reason America have lower taxes is that congestion is nowhere as near as much as a added cost of motoring due to the vast space). Tax manages to control this social cost inside the market mechanism..making the polluter pay for his pollution.

Make the user of petrol pay the true cost of it, tax does that. What is the problem?
Reply 54
corey
Petrol incurs a cost outside its basic private cost - that of social cost, negative externalitys; namely pollution.
If tax isn't charged then this extra cost to society is not paid for, thus meaning more petrol used, and therefore more pollution and congestion (which I may add is the biggest cost to the UK each year...and partly the reason America have lower taxes is that congestion is nowhere as near as much as a added cost of motoring due to the vast space). Tax manages to control this social cost inside the market mechanism..making the polluter pay for his pollution.

Make the user of petrol pay the true cost of it, tax does that. What is the problem?

You don't/haven't driven have you.
Reply 55
ToshTrent
You don't/haven't driven have you.

I do/have driven a car.
Reply 56
corey
I do/have driven a car.

So you drive and you agree to pay extortionate rates for fuel?
Reply 57
ToshTrent

I drive and agree about having to pay the true cost of petrol.
ToshTrent

There are quite a lot of drivers who have a social conscience and don't object to paying a reasonable price for being partly responsible for 2 large problems (emissions and congestion).

Latest