The Student Room Group

What is the subject you most regret taking?

For me, it would probably be Art for GCSE and Economics for A levels.
The workload for GCSE Art is insane compared to all the other GCSE subjects and (opinion) was one of the hardest subject to get a good grade in, and Economics at a level just seems rather pointless, since all it does is test your ability to regurgitate definitions, models and fairly obvious lines of logic. (And it also has the worst mark schemes ever, you get penalized ridiculously hard for non-economics mistakes, like if you labeled your graph PL instead of 'Price level' you would be awarded zero marks for the whole graph even if everything else is correct)

Scroll to see replies

ancient history for A level
(edited 8 years ago)
Biology for my AS level.

Guess I'm not so sciency after all.
Reply 3
chemistry at A level. that was just painful
Original post by quentinhamilton
ancient history for A level

Didn't even know they had that

Original post by k3ro
chemistry at A level. that was just painful

That is the subject I wish I picked instead of economics. Why is it painful?
Defo Economics at A-Level. I might have avoided doing a degree in it otherwise.
Reply 6
Geography GCSE. Hated the subject with a passion, and only took it cos my form tutor persuaded me into taking it :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by Raven of the Sun
That is the subject I wish I picked instead of economics. Why is it painful?

it's a tough subject, my teacher was sucky, and i struggled to get interested in a lot of the syllabus. just my personal opinion. if i could've swapped it out, i think i'd have done computing/comp sci instead.
Media at A Level..thought it would be way more interesting. Plus the workload was just insane and way too much stress
Reply 9
ICT for GCSE (well, "DiDA"). Did nothing most lessons and was pretty useless.
Not sure on A Level. I would say Physics as I have very drastically underperformed in all A2 exams, but I really like the subject. I don't really regret anything therefore but English Lit is the closest.
Psychology at A level.
Chemistry AS
, like if you labeled your graph PL instead of 'Price level' you would be awarded zero marks for the whole graph even if everything else is correct)

Since when? :eek:
Economics at degree level. Let's make some assumptions about the real world to make our theories work, sprinkle on a bit of calculus to give it legitimacy and hey presto. It just seemed like the emperor's new clothes to me. Then the financial crisis came along.
Original post by yelllowribbon
Since when? :eek:

Since like 2013
The worst is that if you don't explicitly say something like 'X policy shifts demand/supply curve in this direction causing a contraction changing quantity and blah blah blah ... therefore this corrects the market failure your mark gets capped at 50% for the essay. Which means you lose 9 out of 60 marks just for missing the bolded bit
Since like 2013
The worst is that if you don't explicitly say something like 'X policy shifts demand/supply curve in this direction causing a contraction changing quantity and blah blah blah ... therefore this corrects the market failure your mark gets capped at 50% for the essay. Which means you lose 9 out of 60 marks just for missing the bolded bit

Any proof of the thing you said about the graph axis?
BTEC Art for GCSE, it was so soul destroying. And Physics for AS, good fun but I was useless at it.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
ICT for GCSE (well, "DiDA":wink:. Did nothing most lessons and was pretty useless.

I can sympathise, I had to do AiDA, which is like half of the DiDA (forced to because I did triple science). An absolute waste of time, I finished all my work in half a year and spent the rest of it helping everyone else. My teacher disappeared suddenly near the end as well, ugh.
chemistry - I had a terrible teacher so that didn't help
Physics AS
Took up so much of my time making sure I knew the theory of it that I started to do really badly in other subjects where I wasn't as strong as I thought e.g. chemistry
Chemistry was also a b****
Psychology - I thought it would be about serial killers and how their mind works rather than the bizarre Oedipus and Electra complex

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest