Access to Science Watch

LindaAChester
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I've applied to start an access to HE diploma in science this September. Has anyone done access to Science? What was it like? What type of background reading would be useful before the start?

Thanks
Lakura225
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there,

I didn't do access to science but I did do access to engineering which shared a lot of similar units.

Things I would brush up on are;
Basic maths (addition, subtraction, division, algebra)
Biology (Cellular mitosis, osmosis, respertory system, nervous system etc)
Chemistry (basic reactions and how the periodic table will help immensely)
Physics (re-familiarise yourself with netowns laws of motion and the basics of electricity)
NewAged
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Great help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kaeden
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently studying Access to Science that I started in January, so we're already halfway through the course (currently sitting on 24/24 credits at Distinction)

Some of the modules that we've covered:

Biology: Nutrition, Digestion and Excretion, Genetics (DNA Replication, Mitosis, Meiosis, Monohybrid/Dihybrid crosses), Skeletal structure/system, Cardiovascular system/structure, Respiratory system, Infectious disease.

Chemistry: Moles of substances, Atomic Structures, Bonding - Ionic, Covalent, Metallic, and Crystal Structures, Periodic table, Oxidation and Reduction.

Physics: Physical quantities and forces, Properties of matter.

Maths: Algebra, Logarithms and Functions, Polynomials, Probability, Statistics.

You should e-mail or ring your college and ask for the list of units that your Access to Science course covers a lot of them are structured differently. Invest in AS and A2 revision books as they have helped me tremendously since I started, and take advantage of the library at your college.
LindaAChester
Rep:
?
Thanks so much. I'll definitely look into those subjects. Best of luck in your Access to Engineering course.
(Original post by Lakura225)
Hi there,

I didn't do access to science but I did do access to engineering which shared a lot of similar units.

Things I would brush up on are;
Basic maths (addition, subtraction, division, algebra)
Biology (Cellular mitosis, osmosis, respertory system, nervous system etc)
Chemistry (basic reactions and how the periodic table will help immensely)
Physics (re-familiarise yourself with netowns laws of motion and the basics of electricity)
LindaAChester
Rep:
?
Thanks Kaeden, this is very helpful and I'll be looking at these. I will email my college about which units they are doing and I'll get a few AS and A2 revision guides.

Well done on your achievement so far and all the best for the future!

Kind regards, Linda
(Original post by Kaeden)
I'm currently studying Access to Science that I started in January, so we're already halfway through the course (currently sitting on 24/24 credits at Distinction)

Some of the modules that we've covered:

Biology: Nutrition, Digestion and Excretion, Genetics (DNA Replication, Mitosis, Meiosis, Monohybrid/Dihybrid crosses), Skeletal structure/system, Cardiovascular system/structure, Respiratory system, Infectious disease.

Chemistry: Moles of substances, Atomic Structures, Bonding - Ionic, Covalent, Metallic, and Crystal Structures, Periodic table, Oxidation and Reduction.

Physics: Physical quantities and forces, Properties of matter.

Maths: Algebra, Logarithms and Functions, Polynomials, Probability, Statistics.

You should e-mail or ring your college and ask for the list of units that your Access to Science course covers a lot of them are structured differently. Invest in AS and A2 revision books as they have helped me tremendously since I started, and take advantage of the library at your college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.25%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.62%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.78%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.04%
No, I chose not to (168)
29.32%