Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    whey we agree on something at last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fly005)
    Scientist develop cure for whatever i.e. AIDS blablabla. You steal it and find out that it is in fact not a cure for AIDS after having giving it to patients instead it is an enhanced for of the virus that works quicker and can spread in the air.

Not always good to steal even if you think it is for a good cause.
    I have never heard of anything so pedantic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    I could think of a thousand scenarios. Here's one.

A rat does a poo, in this poo contains the cure for cancer, the rat likes his poo and does not want it taken away.

Should we steal the poo? Yes!
    lol genius!

ReputationRep:
    I would gladly steal to save someones life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fly005)
    Scientist develop cure for whatever i.e. AIDS blablabla. You steal it and find out that it is in fact not a cure for AIDS after having giving it to patients instead it is an enhanced for of the virus that works quicker and can spread in the air.

Not always good to steal even if you think it is for a good cause.
    That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    Isn't it just? It is Ignorant, Pedantic, Plain Stupid and it simply misses any point that was originally intended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Isn't it just? It is Ignorant, Pedantic, Plain Stupid and it simply misses any point that was originally intended.
    It just isn't relevant, at all. It also makes little sense.

ReputationRep:
    I think stealing is only justified for example, if you or someone you love and care about is starving etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    It is no more pedantic then the original example trying to prove stealing can be justified. The point being stressed is that only actions that are innately good are good actions because they will always insure a good outcome whereas the outcome of something that is not in itself good is not reliable.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, only if you are stealing because its something you really need like food or water.

ReputationRep:
    Ok here's a senario, a true one. I don't think it would happen now because denefit rules have changed.

A couple have been married 10+ years, he leaves and she has to claim benefits. She is just completing an OU degree, her ex husband won't pay any child support until he is told to by the CSA. This takes two years to sort out. In the meantime she gets benefits. When her ex finally pays some child support she has to pay the benefits back.

The woman finishes her degree and applies for a PGCE to become a teacher. As a full time student she gets a student loan and because she has children she gets a larger amount. At the end of her course she re applies for benefit. Although she is now a teacher she can't start work until the new term in September and is entitled to benefits. At this point she finds out that although her student loan for herself was to cover the period September - June, the loan for her children was suposed to cover them September - September. She has no money left.

If she claims her true benefit entitlement, she and her children will have £48.00 per week to live on for 3 months. If she lies on the form she will be stealling from the DSS but she will be able to feed and clothe her children and pay the gas and electricity bills.

Do you think it is wrong for her to steal in this way? What would you do in her situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Ok here's a senario, a true one. I don't think it would happen now because denefit rules have changed.

A couple have been married 10+ years, he leaves and she has to claim benefits. She is just completing an OU degree, her ex husband won't pay any child support until he is told to by the CSA. This takes two years to sort out. In the meantime she gets benefits. When her ex finally pays some child support she has to pay the benefits back.

The woman finishes her degree and applies for a PGCE to become a teacher. As a full time student she gets a student loan and because she has children she gets a larger amount. At the end of her course she re applies for benefit. Although she is now a teacher she can't start work until the new term in September and is entitled to benefits. At this point she finds out that although her student loan for herself was to cover the period September - June, the loan for her children was suposed to cover them September - September. She has no money left.

If she claims her true benefit entitlement, she and her children will have £48.00 per week to live on for 3 months. If she lies on the form she will be stealling from the DSS but she will be able to feed and clothe her children and pay the gas and electricity bills.

Do you think it is wrong for her to steal in this way? What would you do in her situation?
    No it's still not justified to steal, she should seek advice and come to an arrangement for either more funding or look for part-time summer work.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.