A2 Biology Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What is a protoplast? I think it's the equivalent of a cytoplasm in some organisms? Also, what is the difference between a tonoplast (yeasts) and a normal cytoplasm?
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
What is a protoplast? I think it's the equivalent of a cytoplasm in some organisms? Also, what is the difference between a tonoplast (yeasts) and a normal cytoplasm?

The tonoplast is the membrane surrounding the vacuole if I remember correctly.

Protoplast is the living material of a plant or bacterial cell.
hihihihi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
The tonoplast is the membrane surrounding the vacuole if I remember correctly.

Protoplast is the living material of a plant or bacterial cell.
yea a tonoplast is the vacuole membrane.

about protoplast- i cant find a definition because it's mentioned in the cell membranes part of Foundation Biology and im unsure how it works. from what my book says, i think when a plant cell becomes plasmolysed solutes can actually enter the cell through the freely permeable cell wall into the cell but not past the 'protoplast' which is still the partially permeable membrane i think.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hihihihi)
yea a tonoplast is the vacuole membrane.

about protoplast- i cant find a definition because it's mentioned in the cell membranes part of Foundation Biology and im unsure how it works. from what my book says, i think when a plant cell becomes plasmolysed solutes can actually enter the cell through the freely permeable cell wall into the cell but not past the 'protoplast' which is still the partially permeable membrane i think.

Yes, because the protoplast includes the cell membrane and cytoplasm but not the cell wall.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Protoplast basically means the cell and it's contents minus the wall.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (144)
45.57%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.43%