The Student Room Group

Claireestelle's summer bucket list

1. Finish relearning of all the human biology i did at a level.

Spoiler

2. Learn to bake some new things, rather than sticking to sponge cake all the time

Spoiler

3. Read as many nursing related books as possible

Spoiler

4. Finally get myself back into the gym after over a year

Spoiler

5. Finally start trying to gain some weight healthily and amybe even get myself some muscles

Spoiler

6. Try and learn some British Sign Language using youtube videos

Spoiler

7. Post more often in my nursing journey blog

Spoiler

8. Learn the names of as many illnesses as is possible

Spoiler

9. Do more online surveys to knock off a bit of my gradually increasing overdraft

Spoiler

10. Manage more than one sit up.

Spoiler

11. Visit at least one Zoo

Spoiler

12. Visit blackpool

Spoiler

13. Sign up to and actually finish an MOOC rather than giving up after week 2

Spoiler

14. Have at least two picnics with my boyfriend whilst theres weather for it.

Spoiler

15. Teach my boyfriend how to bake a cake (hes never baked one at 24:frown: )

Spoiler

So thats my list, should all be pretty achievable if i put my mind to it really:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You sound very ambitious and enthusiastic. I like it.
Original post by Emily.97
You sound very ambitious and enthusiastic. I like it.

Thank you:smile: this summers the last bit of decent free time i ll have in a while might as well try and do as much as possible with it:smile:
There's quite a bit there, good for you :smile: I'm a bit lazy to do anything like this much in holidays. Can I ask, do you want to learn the sign language for anything in particular or just for the fun of it? A relative of mine used to teach it and I've considered learning but it seems hard.
Original post by mogwai98
There's quite a bit there, good for you :smile: I'm a bit lazy to do anything like this much in holidays. Can I ask, do you want to learn the sign language for anything in particular or just for the fun of it? A relative of mine used to teach it and I've considered learning but it seems hard.

I want to learn as it would be very useful to know as a nurse and also there's a woman who will be in my cohort who is deaf and i d like to be able to do more than just communicate my own name to her.
Original post by claireestelle
I want to learn as it would be very useful to know as a nurse and also there's a woman who will be in my cohort who is deaf and i d like to be able to do more than just communicate my own name to her.

Ah yes, I imagine it'd be very useful. Good luck :smile:
Original post by mogwai98
Ah yes, I imagine it'd be very useful. Good luck :smile:

thank you:smile:
Day 1:
1. Finish relearning of all the human biology i did at a level.
Have read a chapter in my book on the nervous system, surprisingly after over 2 years I remember that system pretty well:smile:
5. Finally start trying to gain some weight healthily and amybe even get myself some muscles
Tonight I m cooking my favourite, spaghetti bolognese, healthy and full of protein and will be putting much more on my plate than last time.

9. Do more online surveys to knock off a bit of my gradually increasing overdraft

So far, completed 2 online surveys for a grand total of 20 pence, better than nothing though:smile:

13. Sign up to and actually finish an MOOC rather than giving up after week 2

Today, I have signed up to an MOOC on coursera on psychological first aid which starts on the 20th(https://www.coursera.org/course/psychfirstaid) its a 6 week course so will take me until the end of the challenge and intend on seeing it through until the end:smile: It s something pretty relevant to mental health nursing so all the more reason to finish the mooc course:smile:
14. Have at least two picnics with my boyfriend whilst theres weather for it.
15. Teach my boyfriend how to bake a cake (hes never baked one at 24:frown: )

No. 8 sounds... scary, by itself. Creative, refreshing & most original aim though. xDD
Those last two sound really cool. (I can't put my finger on the right words for both.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
No. 8 sounds... scary, by itself. Creative, refreshing & most original aim though. xDD
Those last two sound really cool. (I can't put my finger on the right words for both.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kept it to as many as possible rather than a specific number to make it a little easier
Day 2:
Had my foundation degree graduation ceremony so haven't made any progress at all off my list.
There was a BSL interpreter there so tried to watch her sign rather than the speeches themselves but her signing was too fast for inexperienced me.
Have the boyfriends graduation in the morning so get to do it all again :smile:
Day 3 ( post for yesterday)
I didnt get through much of my list yesterday except read a nursing related book for number 3.
Today will be a more productive day though.
Day 4
Tried to be pretty productive today and so am working on a good few of the things on my list.
Firstly, i m working on number 6:smile:

So today I ve started searching for good videos of British Sign Language lessons and I found this video on fingerspelling,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJu1I0mN5ME&index=3&list=UUVBqw-WuAN6AS21mK_qL8AQ&feature=iv&src_vid=STo-D0ERYUM&annotation_id=annotation_147953
so i m going to focus on getting my finger spelling right before I try learning some specific signs for certain words. I think this is the best way for me as, as a dyspraxic person learning any new movements or gestures correctly can take a little longer than average in some cases and when i m having a bad day I ll mix my left and right hands up so at least if i get my fingerspelling right I could spell a word I haven't yet learnt to sort of stumble my way through a sentence if needs be.
(edited 8 years ago)
Day 4

So today I ve started searching for good videos of British Sign Language lessons and I found this video on fingerspelling,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJu1I0mN5ME&index=3&list=UUVBqw-WuAN6AS21mK_qL8AQ&feature=iv&src_vid=STo-D0ERYUM&annotation_id=annotation_147953
so i m going to focus on getting my finger spelling right before I try learning some specific signs for certain words. I think this is the best way for me as, as a dyspraxic person learning any new movements or gestures correctly can take a little longer than average in some cases and when i m having a bad day I ll mix my left and right hands up so at least if i get my fingerspelling right I could spell a word I haven't yet learnt to sort of stumble my way through a sentence if needs be.

Well done on learning British Sign Language, I'm fluent because my parents are deaf and it's a great skill to have especially if you're going into nursing. Have fun learning!:biggrin:
Original post by melissadawson
Well done on learning British Sign Language, I'm fluent because my parents are deaf and it's a great skill to have especially if you're going into nursing. Have fun learning!:biggrin:

Thank you:smile: I m hoping I can get at least get some simple conversation phrases learnt by the time I start in september and maybe pick up on some words to do with various illnesses. I m not sure if I ll ever be anywhere near as fluent as you are but hopefully the more I learn the better patient care I could give any hard of hearing or deaf patients:smile:
Day 4
Carrying on with being productive Its on to working on
8.Learn the names of as many illnesses as is possible
Now this is pretty difficult for me to decide how to do this challenge, so after googling for ages I ve decided I m just going to try and work through a letter of the Alphabet at a Time by working thourgh lists on wikipedia. As illness is pretty subjective, in this I m including anything defined as an illness, condition or disorder, both for physical illnesses and mental illness.

As part as my prep for starting nursing in September I bought a workbook that teaches you medicial terminology, by using activities to learn prefixes and suffixes so when I see the name of an illness I can break it down into parts making it easier to learn words and guess on i ve never seen before so I m not quite working from square one.

So today I m starting on illness beginning with the Letter A:
So firstly, here are the one I already know of the top of my head and I ve decided my aim will be to hopefully double the number of the ones I know.
A- Illnesses I already Know (Apologises in advance for any misspellings, I am mildly dyslexic, which according to the ed psych who diagnosed me, miraculously my spelling is apparently average but still not the best with some words that have different spellings to what you d logically expect)

Spoiler

A grand total of : 17 of the top of my head

Today's A letter 17 illnesses that I ve decided to learn about

Spoiler

I think this is one of my more difficult challenges I ve set myself but definitely one I want to keep doing:smile:
Day 5
So today I m being extra ambitious and trying to work on multiple things off my list.
3. Read as many nursing related books as possible
Today, I m reading my nursing calculations book so to brush up on my maths. Once I ve finished reading it, I m going to review it for my nursing blog so as to get to birds with one stone:P

5. Finally start trying to gain some weight healthily and maybe even get myself some muscles
So far since starting the challenge I ve not made any gains. It's date night tonight,I normally really struggle to finish a whole 3 courses in a meal so tonight's goal will be to finish all 3 courses of a meal at Prezzo:smile:

Today, I ve downloaded a BSL fingerspelling app for my iphone so am going to keep working on my finger spelling today, with the aim of knowing how to spell out at least my name and middle name by the end of the week (I d say be able to fingerspell my whole name but as it's 29 letters I would hope I wouldn't ever need to do so)

So far today, I ve attempted 5 surveys and hoping to get the total up to 10 before I go out tonight.
Day 6( didnt do anything off my list) so onto:
Day 7
So first thing today is
8.Learn the names of as many illnesses as is possible
Running total: 34
Now onto letter B
What I know off the top of my head:

Spoiler

Pretty poor with only 3 illness for B :/
So now today's 3 I aim to learn:

Spoiler

(Posts playing up today)
Makes my running total: 40
Thinking my overall aim will be to hit around 200 by the end of the challenge:smile:
Day 7 Part 2
7. Post more often in my nursing journey blog
Wrote an FAQ post in my blog today
http://studentmentalhealthnursejourney.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/applying-for-nursing-frequently-asked.html

Quick Reply

Latest