Claireestelle's summer bucket list Watch

claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
1. Finish relearning of all the human biology i did at a level.
Spoiler:
Show
So far I ve gotten through the integumentary system,muscular, nervous system, the endocrine system, the cardiovascular system and the lympathic system
Only 4 Left to do:
digestive system
urinary system
reproductive system
respiratory system
2. Learn to bake some new things, rather than sticking to sponge cake all the time
Spoiler:
Show
So far I have baked:
Blueberry Muffins
3. Read as many nursing related books as possible
Spoiler:
Show
So far I am reading:
Principles of Care, 80 pages into this book, should be done in a couple of days
4. Finally get myself back into the gym after over a year
Spoiler:
Show
No progress on this yet
5. Finally start trying to gain some weight healthily and amybe even get myself some muscles
Spoiler:
Show
Gained: 1lb so far
6. Try and learn some British Sign Language using youtube videos
Spoiler:
Show
So far I ve done some fingerspelling and family signs and made a start of learning numbers.
7. Post more often in my nursing journey blog
Spoiler:
Show
Only one post since the challenge started and I m in the middle of a redesign and improving all of the content I ve written so far.
Here it is for anyone who wants to read it: (feedback is extremely welcome)
http://studentmentalhealthnursejourney.blogspot.co.uk/
8. Learn the names of as many illnesses as is possible
Spoiler:
Show
So far I m up to illnesses beginning with C and know a grand total of 40 so far
9. Do more online surveys to knock off a bit of my gradually increasing overdraft
Spoiler:
Show
Made £5 so far, decided my target will be £20
10. Manage more than one sit up.
Spoiler:
Show
No progress yet
11. Visit at least one Zoo
Spoiler:
Show
No progress yet
12. Visit blackpool
Spoiler:
Show
No progress yet
13. Sign up to and actually finish an MOOC rather than giving up after week 2
Spoiler:
Show
Completed week one and two so far
14. Have at least two picnics with my boyfriend whilst theres weather for it.
Spoiler:
Show
No progress yet
15. Teach my boyfriend how to bake a cake (hes never baked one at 24 )
Spoiler:
Show
No progress yet
So thats my list, should all be pretty achievable if i put my mind to it really
Emily.97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You sound very ambitious and enthusiastic. I like it.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily.97)
You sound very ambitious and enthusiastic. I like it.
Thank you this summers the last bit of decent free time i ll have in a while might as well try and do as much as possible with it
mogwai98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's quite a bit there, good for you I'm a bit lazy to do anything like this much in holidays. Can I ask, do you want to learn the sign language for anything in particular or just for the fun of it? A relative of mine used to teach it and I've considered learning but it seems hard.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by mogwai98)
There's quite a bit there, good for you I'm a bit lazy to do anything like this much in holidays. Can I ask, do you want to learn the sign language for anything in particular or just for the fun of it? A relative of mine used to teach it and I've considered learning but it seems hard.
I want to learn as it would be very useful to know as a nurse and also there's a woman who will be in my cohort who is deaf and i d like to be able to do more than just communicate my own name to her.
mogwai98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I want to learn as it would be very useful to know as a nurse and also there's a woman who will be in my cohort who is deaf and i d like to be able to do more than just communicate my own name to her.
Ah yes, I imagine it'd be very useful. Good luck
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by mogwai98)
Ah yes, I imagine it'd be very useful. Good luck
thank you
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 1:
1. Finish relearning of all the human biology i did at a level.
Have read a chapter in my book on the nervous system, surprisingly after over 2 years I remember that system pretty well
5. Finally start trying to gain some weight healthily and amybe even get myself some muscles
Tonight I m cooking my favourite, spaghetti bolognese, healthy and full of protein and will be putting much more on my plate than last time.

9. Do more online surveys to knock off a bit of my gradually increasing overdraft

So far, completed 2 online surveys for a grand total of 20 pence, better than nothing though

13. Sign up to and actually finish an MOOC rather than giving up after week 2

Today, I have signed up to an MOOC on coursera on psychological first aid which starts on the 20th(https://www.coursera.org/course/psychfirstaid) its a 6 week course so will take me until the end of the challenge and intend on seeing it through until the end It s something pretty relevant to mental health nursing so all the more reason to finish the mooc course
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
14. Have at least two picnics with my boyfriend whilst theres weather for it.
15. Teach my boyfriend how to bake a cake (hes never baked one at 24 )
No. 8 sounds... scary, by itself. Creative, refreshing & most original aim though. xDD
Those last two sound really cool. (I can't put my finger on the right words for both.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by XcitingStuart)
No. 8 sounds... scary, by itself. Creative, refreshing & most original aim though. xDD
Those last two sound really cool. (I can't put my finger on the right words for both.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I kept it to as many as possible rather than a specific number to make it a little easier
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 2:
Had my foundation degree graduation ceremony so haven't made any progress at all off my list.
There was a BSL interpreter there so tried to watch her sign rather than the speeches themselves but her signing was too fast for inexperienced me.
Have the boyfriends graduation in the morning so get to do it all again
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 3 ( post for yesterday)
I didnt get through much of my list yesterday except read a nursing related book for number 3.
Today will be a more productive day though.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 4
Tried to be pretty productive today and so am working on a good few of the things on my list.
Firstly, i m working on number 6

So today I ve started searching for good videos of British Sign Language lessons and I found this video on fingerspelling,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJu1...otation_147953
so i m going to focus on getting my finger spelling right before I try learning some specific signs for certain words. I think this is the best way for me as, as a dyspraxic person learning any new movements or gestures correctly can take a little longer than average in some cases and when i m having a bad day I ll mix my left and right hands up so at least if i get my fingerspelling right I could spell a word I haven't yet learnt to sort of stumble my way through a sentence if needs be.
melissadawson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Day 4

So today I ve started searching for good videos of British Sign Language lessons and I found this video on fingerspelling,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJu1...otation_147953
so i m going to focus on getting my finger spelling right before I try learning some specific signs for certain words. I think this is the best way for me as, as a dyspraxic person learning any new movements or gestures correctly can take a little longer than average in some cases and when i m having a bad day I ll mix my left and right hands up so at least if i get my fingerspelling right I could spell a word I haven't yet learnt to sort of stumble my way through a sentence if needs be.

Well done on learning British Sign Language, I'm fluent because my parents are deaf and it's a great skill to have especially if you're going into nursing. Have fun learning!
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by melissadawson)
Well done on learning British Sign Language, I'm fluent because my parents are deaf and it's a great skill to have especially if you're going into nursing. Have fun learning!
Thank you I m hoping I can get at least get some simple conversation phrases learnt by the time I start in september and maybe pick up on some words to do with various illnesses. I m not sure if I ll ever be anywhere near as fluent as you are but hopefully the more I learn the better patient care I could give any hard of hearing or deaf patients
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 4
Carrying on with being productive Its on to working on
8.Learn the names of as many illnesses as is possible
Now this is pretty difficult for me to decide how to do this challenge, so after googling for ages I ve decided I m just going to try and work through a letter of the Alphabet at a Time by working thourgh lists on wikipedia. As illness is pretty subjective, in this I m including anything defined as an illness, condition or disorder, both for physical illnesses and mental illness.

As part as my prep for starting nursing in September I bought a workbook that teaches you medicial terminology, by using activities to learn prefixes and suffixes so when I see the name of an illness I can break it down into parts making it easier to learn words and guess on i ve never seen before so I m not quite working from square one.

So today I m starting on illness beginning with the Letter A:
So firstly, here are the one I already know of the top of my head and I ve decided my aim will be to hopefully double the number of the ones I know.
A- Illnesses I already Know (Apologises in advance for any misspellings, I am mildly dyslexic, which according to the ed psych who diagnosed me, miraculously my spelling is apparently average but still not the best with some words that have different spellings to what you d logically expect)
Spoiler:
Show
Asthma( got it myself:P)ApraxiaAmnesiaAcolcepia AneurysmAchondroplasitc dwarfism AnxietyAngiodemaAdrenal disorderAttention deficit disorder and Attention deficit hyperactivity disorderAlbinismAlziehmisers diseaseAvoidant personality disorder
Anaphylaxsis
Ancephaly
Alexia
Anorexia nervosa

A grand total of : 17 of the top of my head

Today's A letter 17 illnesses that I ve decided to learn about
Spoiler:
Show
1. Adenomyosis
2. Addinson's disease
3.Advanced sleep phase
4. Angiosacroma
5.Ansomia
6. Alexander disease
7. Anotia
8. Arthogryposis
9. Ataxia
10. Auditory Processing disorder
11. Autoimmune Peripheral Neuropathy
12. Axial Osteomalacia
13. Aphonia
14. Apert's syndrome
15. Arteriosclerosis
16. Absence epilepsy
17. Antisocial personality disorder

I think this is one of my more difficult challenges I ve set myself but definitely one I want to keep doing
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 5
So today I m being extra ambitious and trying to work on multiple things off my list.
3. Read as many nursing related books as possible
Today, I m reading my nursing calculations book so to brush up on my maths. Once I ve finished reading it, I m going to review it for my nursing blog so as to get to birds with one stone:P

5. Finally start trying to gain some weight healthily and maybe even get myself some muscles
So far since starting the challenge I ve not made any gains. It's date night tonight,I normally really struggle to finish a whole 3 courses in a meal so tonight's goal will be to finish all 3 courses of a meal at Prezzo

Today, I ve downloaded a BSL fingerspelling app for my iphone so am going to keep working on my finger spelling today, with the aim of knowing how to spell out at least my name and middle name by the end of the week (I d say be able to fingerspell my whole name but as it's 29 letters I would hope I wouldn't ever need to do so)

So far today, I ve attempted 5 surveys and hoping to get the total up to 10 before I go out tonight.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 6( didnt do anything off my list) so onto:
Day 7
So first thing today is
8.Learn the names of as many illnesses as is possible
Running total: 34
Now onto letter B
What I know off the top of my head:
Spoiler:
Show
Bulimia Nervosa
Body Dysmorphric disorder
Bardycardia

Pretty poor with only 3 illness for B :/
So now today's 3 I aim to learn:
Spoiler:
Show
Borderline Personality Disorder
Bardykinesia
Borderline personality disorder
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Posts playing up today)
Makes my running total: 40
Thinking my overall aim will be to hit around 200 by the end of the challenge
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Day 7 Part 2
7. Post more often in my nursing journey blog
Wrote an FAQ post in my blog today
http://studentmentalhealthnursejourn...tly-asked.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
32.85%
The paper was reasonable (306)
48.8%
Not feeling great about that exam... (71)
11.32%
It was TERRIBLE (44)
7.02%

Watched Threads