The Student Room Group

private school

i went to a low achieving state school for secondary and i achieved quite some good grades. so i had a chat with a headteacher at a private school and he gave me a place as long as i get good alevels(which i would try) im going to yr13 but was wondering would unversities take in to consideration i went to a state school for gcse and not think my good gcse's was due, to me maybe going provate at sixth form(it sounds weird what im saying) and also going to a sith form with excellent alevel results will it make me look average or they wont take this into account as its all about what you know?
Reply 1
Progressing from a state school to a private school is a good step and shows that you are a hard worker, universities would respect that :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dd1234
Progressing from a state school to aprivate school is a good step and shows that you are a hard worker, universities would respect that :smile:

yh but anyone can go private, u just need to pay. i went private as the headteacher thinks everyone should have a good education regardless of how rich ur parents are. so i persuaded hin to give me a shot and he agreed... (im very fortunate). but i want them to take into consideration that my hard work is due to me working hard and not my school and the fact that i went state school for secondary
Reply 3
Original post by justthatboy
yh but anyone can go private, u just need to pay. i went private as the headteacher thinks everyone should have a good education regardless of how rich ur parents are. so i persuaded hin to give me a shot and he agreed... (im very fortunate). but i want them to take into consideration that my hard work is due to me working hard and not my school and the fact that i went state school for secondary

That's not necessarily true, it depends- how competitive is the school you got into?

Are you on a scholarship then? If so, your sixth form should mention it on your reference, so unis will know you aren't going just because you're a rich kid.

Mind you, since going to a good sixth form will improve your chances of getting good grades you probably won't be considered as coming from the same educational background as 'disadvantaged' students, but don't let that put you off - getting better grades is generally much more useful than getting mediocre grades from a worse school, most unis look for grades before they consider your background.
Reply 5
Original post by dd1234
That's not necessarily true, it depends- how competitive is the school you got into?

educationally it is really good. they achieve amazing results as the students are really smart
Reply 6
You have to put every school you took qualifications at on your UCAS form - they will know where you got your GCSEs from
Reply 7
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Are you on a scholarship then? If so, your sixth form should mention it on your reference, so unis will know you aren't going just because you're a rich kid.

Mind you, since going to a good sixth form will improve your chances of getting good grades you probably won't be considered as coming from the same educational background as 'disadvantaged' students, but don't let that put you off - getting better grades is generally much more useful than getting mediocre grades from a worse school, most unis look for grades before they consider your background.

Yep, totally agree with this from experience- better grades and a scholarship shouldn't disadvantage you.
Reply 8
Original post by dragonkeeper999

that makes sense yh im on a scholarship, i could never afford it otherwise. would they take into conssideration i got good grades at a low achieving state school
Reply 9
that makes sense yh im on a scholarship, i could never afford it otherwise. would they take into conssideration i got good grades at a low achieving state school

Yes, it will be on your UCAS form, so they can see the progression and as you said the school is very good, it's all the better for you
yh thats true thanks for the reply. last thing i did triple science and igcse science and in one of my igcse exams( igcse chem) i fell ill on the day and got a U in that exam (overall got a C) and retook in yr 12 got A*. does this look bad
I assume the 'good grades' you achieved weren't in written examinations/assessments. :smile:
May I ask what private school this is? Not all private schools get outstanding results, and you may be have been better off just going to a outstanding state sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't go private personally because when applying for uni you'll be in a better position coming from a low achieving state school providing you still get excellent grades. However, I'm not sure what the added value of private education is post-16. It may be great for all I know.
Original post by Argentinababy
I assume the 'good grades' you achieved weren't in written examinations/assessments. :smile:

what do you mean?? can you clarify.
I doubt they will take into account where you got your GCSEs or A Levels unless it was mentioned in your reference as a reason for your grades
what do you mean by "unless it was mentioned in your reference as a reason for your grades" can you clarify please
what do you mean?? can you clarify.

he's taking the piss because you can't be bothered to use perfect grammar on an internet forum, just ignore him
Original post by Smug Life
he's taking the piss because you can't be bothered to use perfect grammar on an internet forum, just ignore him

woow what was achieved by him/her doing that is beyond me.If my grammer is poor i apologise now
what do you mean by "unless it was mentioned in your reference as a reason for your grades" can you clarify please

I meant that it would be irrelevant unless you had had poor grades at GCSE and that was written as part of the reason. It will be in your educational background, so the admissions tutors will see it, but they probably won't place any importance on it unless your referee does for some reason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending