The Student Room Group

I'm an Evolutionary Biologist...AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Laomedeia
So whats with the myth that humans evolved from monkeys? Or apes etc.

Its a stupid idea because of that picture of a monkey turning into a human. Humans are a group of apes that had a common ancestor with a chimpanzee and the two groups diverged from this.

Original post by h3isenberg
It's just what stupid people say when they try and strawman evolution

Exactly
So whats with the myth that humans evolved from monkeys? Or apes etc.

As if you need to ask an Evolutionary Biologist! This should be covered in GCSE. You've got a misconception there, the point is we evolved from a common ancestor and followed different evolutionary pathways, thereby living amongst each other but having some sort of an ancestor from which we and the apes evolved
Reply 22
Oh.
Do you class trees, viruses and germans as living things?

Trees and germans...100% yes.

Viruses are highly debated.
Can you explain coalescent theory to people without sending them to sleep?
Original post by RonnieRJ
As if you need to ask an Evolutionary Biologist! This should be covered in GCSE. You've got a misconception there, the point is we evolved from a common ancestor and followed different evolutionary pathways, thereby living amongst each other but having some sort of an ancestor from which we and the apes evolved

I dont have any GSCEs. School was not my thing and I probably couldnt even spell GSCE back then. I figured learning about Isaac Einstein and that famous english writer that I cant remember the name of wasnt going to make me able to repair aeroplane engines or operate a forklift. So I quit school and ended up working in various factories and warehouses to earn some money.

Original post by Munrot07
Trees and germans...100% yes.

Viruses are highly debated.

Meant germs lol! Dam auto correction thing on my web browser.
Reply 25
I dont have any GSCEs. School was not my thing and I probably couldnt even spell GSCE back then. I figured learning about Isaac Einstein and that famous english writer that I cant remember the name of wasnt going to make me able to repair aeroplane engines or operate a forklift. So I quit school and ended up working in various factories and warehouses to earn some money.

Meant germs lol! Dam auto correction thing on my web browser.

If by germs you mean bacteria then yes they are alive.
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm not taking the piss or being funny but just letting you know it's GCSE not GSCE :|
Reply 27
Original post by Quantex
Can you explain coalescent theory to people without sending them to sleep?

Teaching is my passion so I couldn't certainly have a crack at it :P Though I fear over the internet it would bore anyone. In person it could be possible I think :P
If by germs you meen bacteria then yes they are alive.

Yes I did mean germs as in "bacteria" and not germs as in electrical discharge from cumulonimbus clouds, as this would be an incorrect totally ***ed up use of the word. Although I sort of did that anyway in my earlier post.
Isaac Einstein

Teaching is my passion so I couldn't certainly have a crack at it :P Though I fear over the internet it would bore anyone. In person it could be possible I think :P

What do you teach?
Tell me an interesting fact that you think I am unlikely to know based on the subject you teach.
If people evolved from monkeys then why do monkeys still exist?

Evolution sometimes works in reverse, what is the cause of this phenomenon?

Its because some had a genetic mutation and some didnt therefore they set on two differant paths having further mutations etc

I dont know the second answer but i will take a guess. Im guessing we evolve to survive in the environment e.g lets say a giraffe evolved longer necks to reach the best leaves on the tree. Now lets say the trees became much smaller now it would make sense for them to shrink their necks right? Or maybe its just its just centain mutations are bad for the animal so they have to deevolve over time to save future generations i have no idea really only studied genetics briefly on my science course in college
Reply 32
Yes I did mean germs as in "bacteria" and not germs as in electrical discharge from cumulonimbus clouds, as this would be an incorrect totally ***ed up use of the word. Although I sort of did that anyway in my earlier post.

I was more clarifying as germs can mean any sort of disease causing microorganism :P

What do you teach?
Tell me an interesting fact that you think I am unlikely to know based on the subject you teach.

Currently I more do A level tutoring (though I may have a part time school teaching job in september). I want to become a teacher once I leave university and teach Biology and Chemistry.

I have a great love of music (don't we all) playing both violin and saxophone, with a particular interest in jazz music :smile: (might not be interesting but oh well :P )
I was more clarifying as germs can mean any sort of disease causing microorganism :P

Currently I more do A level tutoring (though I may have a part time school teaching job in september). I want to become a teacher once I leave university and teach Biology and Chemistry.

I have a great love of music (don't we all) playing both violin and saxophone, with a particular interest in jazz music :smile: (might not be interesting but oh well :P )

More interesting than the bloody Spice Girls, Abba or other talent deprived slappas that think they make nice sounds when, in fact, most people would rather listen to morse code. And on that bombshell I need to go to the toilet........
Reply 34
What interests you the nost about evolutionary biology?
Reply 35
Original post by kkboyk
What interests you the nost about evolutionary biology?

Well I have always been a huge fan of prehistory and evolutionary biology explains how we have all these wonderful species in each time period. Why they are so different. Why some are successful and some are not. How we came to what we have now.

It explains (or at least tries to) everything we see around us in the world. From natural to man made. All stems to evolution. It just poses really interesting questions, and is a great debate topic. (Not evolution vs. creationism debate...real evolutionary discussion about who we are as a species and about every species we see or has become extinct).
Reply 36
More interesting than the bloody Spice Girls, Abba or other talent deprived slappas that think they make nice sounds when, in fact, most people would rather listen to morse code. And on that bombshell I need to go to the toilet........

I find not enough people are into jazz which is sad.

Enjoy the toilet :P
Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the job prospects like?
Reply 38
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the job prospects like?

Well I want to go into teaching so...pretty good :P
Reply 39
Well I have always been a huge fan of prehistory and evolutionary biology explains how we have all these wonderful species in each time period. Why they are so different. Why some are successful and some are not. How we came to what we have now.

It explains (or at least tries to) everything we see around us in the world. From natural to man made. All stems to evolution. It just poses really interesting questions, and is a great debate topic. (Not evolution vs. creationism debate...real evolutionary discussion about who we are as a species and about every species we see or has become extinct).

So what are you doing now relating to that field of biology?

Quick Reply

Latest