This discussion is closed.
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
What would you guys reckon is an ideal first car?

I've been looking at Vauxhall Corsas, but I'm not sure.

I need something under 2k and cheap to run (diesel?).

Thanks!
Sza
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Corsa's have cheap insurance so you can't go wrong with one of those for a couple of years or so...

www.parkers.co.uk

Check all the cars out there - with insurance groupings n stuff.

My personal favourite first car banger is a Datsun Sunny.
But i wouldn't mind a fiat cinquento/scientio (can't spell it properly)... Cheap insurance,cheap tax,cheap car. But can't travel v.fast - i don't think there is a diesel option.

Personally im fond of primera - decent cars to drive on town roads and motorways - but its the insurance n stuff.

Just check the site...
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Does that £2k include insurance or not, and what type of insurance would you get, e.g. 3rd party, fully comp, etc.

Phil
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also, try going to www.autotrader.co.uk, which should help, or a similar site. For under £2k, and with pretty cheap insurance (for a learner driver that is), you should look at an old Ford fiesta, Nissan Micra, Renault Clio/Twingo, VW Lupo/Polo, Peugot 106/Citroen Saxo or similar. However, be sure to check the cost of insurance before you buy the car, as I know when I was looking, I found that a car which I really liked, that was under my budget, but as it had a largeish engine, the insurance would have been loads!!

Phil
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
By now you should be able to get a newer model fiesta (n or p reg onwards) for under 2K easily, or for a bit more a KA, which all have power steering as standard.

I'm on my third ford, first one the engine blew up, but the car was an old nail, my second and third have been superb, not a penny spent on them in two years.

Vauxhall corsas are OK too, but if you by a european brand car you will find maintenace more expensive, and some (Renault, I'm looking at you) have a reputation for being unreliable.

Whatever you do DON'T buy a diesel. Modern diesels are a lot better but the age of car you will be looking at they are likely to cause problems as well as have poor performance.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i drove a ford fiesta for a while, but it got stolen so it was replaced with a citreon saxo. both are nice to drive and seem pretty reliable.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I drive a polo TDi, and though this is a diesel, you wouldn't tell it by driving it, the only time you notice, is when you can do about 500 miles without having to fill up again, which is good for the old wallet, though admittedly diesels usually cost more initially, and you might get some stick from your mates, etc.
Also, if your learning to drive, its a lot harder to stall a diesel, which can come in handy to boost your confidence when you're learning

Good luck,
Phil
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your posts, you've been really helpful

I'll let you know if I pass my test and what car I get!
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got my first car last year. It's a Vauxhall Corsa 1.5D (diesel). It is cheap on insurance and very economical on fuel. Good luck on your test.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Originally posted by rowei
I got my first car last year. It's a Vauxhall Corsa 1.5D (diesel). It is cheap on insurance and very economical on fuel. Good luck on your test.
How much did it cost to get the car and insurance roughly?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i would get a vw polo if u can aford it, they are very quality and stylish!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree with Ollie (not being biased or anything, due to my car being a polo) What engine is it?

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Surfing Hamster
What would you guys reckon is an ideal first car?

I've been looking at Vauxhall Corsas, but I'm not sure.

I need something under 2k and cheap to run (diesel?).

Thanks!
Have a corsa go on www.autotrader.co.uk you'll find corsas 995 or nearest offer it's very good
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Do you reckon power steering's worth investing in?
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Surfing Hamster
Do you reckon power steering's worth investing in?
You will pay extra for it, cos until recently, only high spec small cars had it.

It is not really essential, I don't think, on a small car, but you should try test driving any car throughly as some have heavier steering than others anyway.

Has the car you are learning in (or learnt in) got power steering?
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Nope, it hasn't. I don't think I'll bother with it then.. Don't really need it
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It helps with the manouveres etc.

Phil
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When I get finally my first car, my mother is going to insure it under her name so she is the main driver and I'm the second driver.

According to her, it is a lot cheaper that way.
tagzt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did anyone she that program young, posh and loaded last night? a girl failed her driving test but her dad bought her a 45k mini with tv screen, fridge, 10 disc dvd player anyway! then they had a big expensive champagne toast to her (despite her failing her test).

does anyone else think that would completely screw her up? you would end up having absolutely no appreciation of money or hard work, still maybe its better to be rich and screwed up then poor and sane!
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I can drive but I don't have a car - I can't afford one even with my job, and I don't have parents who will just buy one for me. However I get to use my mum's fiesta, which is nice cos its a newish one and is comfortable, but I don't have to pay for insurance or tax or petrol on it. I had expected to contribute some money for the use, but they said since I don't get to use it all the time (as she works during the day) it wasn't fair for me to pay. I think that I am really lucky to be in that position. And if was my car, what help would a TV screen be - i'm the driver so I couldn't watch it without me baing a danger to other road users!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads