Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How's this for a first car? I've got a 2.3 litre, turbo-charged, super-chipped Volvo estate. I can take about 8 people around, if I use the boot. It goes like a rocket. It's comfortable, with AC and a CD player and leather seats.

But best of all, £240 per year insurance... Apparently boy racers don't drive Volvo's, therefore low premiums.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by tagzt
    did anyone she that program young, posh and loaded last night? a girl failed her driving test but her dad bought her a 45k mini with tv screen, fridge, 10 disc dvd player anyway! then they had a big expensive champagne toast to her (despite her failing her test).

does anyone else think that would completely screw her up? you would end up having absolutely no appreciation of money or hard work, still maybe its better to be rich and screwed up then poor and sane!
    I would expect that the girl in question is most likely not particularly happy with her life, despite how she may have appeared on TV (I didn't see the program in question). What's the point in having everything if you did not have to work hard to get it? She would not appreciate it, it would be to her like your front door is to you, you take it for granted and don't think of it as anything special. If everything's given to you on a plate, then you have nothing to live for, everything's so easy which goes completely against how the human brain works, in my opinion.

Anyway, if I had 45k to spend on a car, I wouldn't buy a mini for God's sake. I go for something like a nice Mercedes convertible or something with a bit more class than a Mini! I didn't even know you could get Minis for 45k (even with a TV screen and DVD player etc, that can't be more than a extra two or three grand, can it?).

apparently it was the top spec mini in the world, but if you ask me the car dealer was just ripping off the dad. at the end of the day, a guy with millions and millions in the bank is really not going to mind if he pays 20k for a super mini or 45k.

even if you had loads of money, you would still be better off getting something like a mini rather than a mercedes slk convertible. the girl on the program was a rubbish driver and if she had got a powerful car like a merc, god help us all!! i think the new mini coopers are actually quite stylish, they come with loads of features and look good...not a bad first car at all.

i totally agree that the human brain does not adjust well to being given everything on a plate. throughout our history as a species we have had to stuggle, whether for food or survival. when you take away the sense of appreciation that comes with working hard for something, what are you left with?

maybe these are just the words of a jealous person who lives in a very average house with very average amounts of money but i think i am honestly happier having to work for things and achieve them than if i was given everything.

oh by the way, the mini also had a fold out satellite navigation system. you press a button and this flatscreen coems out like a cd disc then folds out so its sitting like a tv screen where you would normally have a radio, the screen also doubled as a dvd player with 10 disc dvd changer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    oh by the way, the mini also had a fold out satellite navigation system. you press a button and this flatscreen coems out like a cd disc then folds out so its sitting like a tv screen where you would normally have a radio, the screen also doubled as a dvd player with 10 disc dvd changer
    How much are those things?

You should get one of those new Minis, they look really cool, I hope to get one of those soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    You should get one of those new Minis, they look really cool, I hope to get one of those soon
    Nooo!! I don't like minis at all! Wouldn't mind an Audi TT though

{Smileys are case sensitive!!}

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry, but there is only one car worth driving.

The MINI, the original one, not the german shed.

Im on my third. I started off with a cheap banger. D reg boughht for 200 quid. Sprayed it yellow, with white roof and stripes. Cheap insurance. Nippy. Runs on air.

Ive just bought a Mini Cooper. Flared arches, wide weels. Its so fast. You should c the look off BMWs when you beat them off the lights. ha ha. It goes round corners like nothing else. Once youve drove one, youll fall in love with it. There very uncomfy, bumpy, leak oil and rust alot, but thats all part of the fun.

ReputationRep:
    Not enough people give credit to the oldskool cars like the original mini and the original VW Beetle. Part of the fun of these cars is how naff they look, how bad the handling is, how old and rundown they are... they're just great. If you want the ultimate driving experience go with a Robin Relient. Classic...

ReputationRep:
    i got a vw polo, black, 1.4, the older style, not the orrible toy like new one.its lush and i def. recommend it x o x

PS best car - triumph herald! x o x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Nooo!! I don't like minis at all! Wouldn't mind an Audi TT though

{Smileys are case sensitive!!}

N audi tt now ya talkinh... i wish. Ive been wanting a polo 4ages n ive finally got the money tog (3k) but cant fing them ne where either pile of **** n really old or brand new nohing inbetween. ne ideas where i can look??? xPx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippa)
    N audi tt now ya talkinh... i wish. Ive been wanting a polo 4ages n ive finally got the money tog (3k) but cant fing them ne where either pile of **** n really old or brand new nohing inbetween. ne ideas where i can look??? xPx
    Have you tried http://www.autotrader.co.uk ?

Try looking in your local advertisement paper, too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Have you tried http://www.autotrader.co.uk ?

Try looking in your local advertisement paper, too
    Cheers mi dears but yes ive tried both n not a dam thing, driving me mad... think im going 2have 2 settle for something else....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    How's this for a first car? I've got a 2.3 litre, turbo-charged, super-chipped Volvo estate. I can take about 8 people around, if I use the boot. It goes like a rocket. It's comfortable, with AC and a CD player and leather seats.

But best of all, £240 per year insurance... Apparently boy racers don't drive Volvo's, therefore low premiums.
    Is this a joke? :confused:

If not which company is your insurance with - and exactly what volvo (year,reg) is it? And what sort of policy is it?

Id Go For An Aston Martin Vanquish.

ReputationRep:
    The Toyota Yaris is the best small car by miles. Looks good, fun to drive (before someone, probably expression, comments on this, though I am 15, we have a very long drive to our house, and my Dad lets me drive along it) and it is very reliable. The Jap chaps know how to make a good car. It always wins the small car section in the JD Power thing and usually finishes in the top three overall. Fantastic car. Good price second hand. Easily insurable.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The Toyota Yaris is the best small car by miles. Looks good, fun to drive (before someone, probably expression, comments on this, though I am 15, we have a very long drive to our house, and my Dad lets me drive along it) and it is very reliable. The Jap chaps know how to make a good car. It always wins the small car section in the JD Power thing and usually finishes in the top three overall. Fantastic car. Good price second hand. Easily insurable.

eeeer u guys r joking rite, i mean u actually go into public driving these things?????
    stop being a bunch of pikies n get urselves proper cars!! respectable vehicles!

thnx 4 listrning. mwah x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyboy)
    Im sorry, but there is only one car worth driving.

The MINI, the original one, not the german shed.

Im on my third. I started off with a cheap banger. D reg boughht for 200 quid. Sprayed it yellow, with white roof and stripes. Cheap insurance. Nippy. Runs on air.

Ive just bought a Mini Cooper. Flared arches, wide weels. Its so fast. You should c the look off BMWs when you beat them off the lights. ha ha. It goes round corners like nothing else. Once youve drove one, youll fall in love with it. There very uncomfy, bumpy, leak oil and rust alot, but thats all part of the fun.
    visit www.miniclassic.co.uk

i drive a mini also. the best drivin experience you will probably have(ok not the fastest but most fun) and to phil who ses about the poor handling of these oldskool cars. a mini is one of the best cars for handling. low centre of gravity short wheelbase etc etc. it won the monte carlo several times. if u own a mini u are part of a culture.

this 45k mini was it a bmw or origional. either way you could spen up to 15k on the car itself if it was an origional. 25k for a bmw heap. then 10-15k on audio and sat nav....but i have no idea what ice etc was in this thing so cus have been a complete rip off. but still he prob had more money than sense

rob

ReputationRep:
    Corsa's r gr8

its a shame ur not from essex like me

I thnk Novas r gr8 aswel

Kuz
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    When I get finally my first car, my mother is going to insure it under her name so she is the main driver and I'm the second driver.

According to her, it is a lot cheaper that way.
    Yes it is, but it's dodgy. If you're the owner and main driver, listing you as a second driver isn't true. Your insurers are unlikely to pay out if needed.

Has just happened to a friend of mine. Lives with me in the north, but the car's insured in his dad's name with him as a named driver. Dad lives on the south coast, accident was here. Insurers know the scam and refused to pay.

Besides, if you get your own policy now, you start building up no claims bonus, which is the only real way to get the price down.

Do you want it cheap now and useless when you need it, or cheap later, and useful when you need it?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.