Thierry745
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, basically I am in a situation where ideally I would like to go to a uni different to my firm or insurance, yet this is dependant on my results.
What I am wondering is, on results day is it possible to turn my offer from my firm choice (if received) into an unconditional offer for 2016, and re apply through the ucas system as normal, allowing me to apply to my ideal university and hopefully receive an offer from them, yet if I do not receive an offer from them i'll have my unconditional to fall back on.
Hope that made sense, and thanks!
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Thierry745)
Hi, basically I am in a situation where ideally I would like to go to a uni different to my firm or insurance, yet this is dependant on my results.
What I am wondering is, on results day is it possible to turn my offer from my firm choice (if received) into an unconditional offer for 2016, and re apply through the ucas system as normal, allowing me to apply to my ideal university and hopefully receive an offer from them, yet if I do not receive an offer from them i'll have my unconditional to fall back on.
I mean, this would be dependent on the university - but most unis will happily accept deferred entry as long as you meet the entry requirements (or seem like you will, if you go back into study again).

It's different depending wherever you're talking about, so best thing to do is just contact the university itself and ask them
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A flat-out no. You can ask this year's firm to defer you till 2016, but you cannot then apply in the next Ucas cycle without cancelling your deferred choice.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As Ageshallnot says.
ncp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
On results day, ring up the university you want to get into and try and get through clearing without changing anything on your UCAS. It's not like they will tell your firm choice about it and you will know if they will let you anyway.

The number of courses and universities that come up in clearing is staggering. That's guessing that you're not wanting to transfer to Oxbridge though.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ncp)
On results day, ring up the university you want to get into and try and get through clearing without changing anything on your UCAS. It's not like they will tell your firm choice about it and you will know if they will let you anyway.

The number of courses and universities that come up in clearing is staggering. That's guessing that you're not wanting to transfer to Oxbridge though.
This will not work. You are only issued with a clearing number if you hold no offers, and universities will not talk to you without one.
ncp
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
This will not work. You are only issued with a clearing number if you hold no offers, and universities will not talk to you without one.
My bad, I remember speaking to universities when going through adjustment and not having to change anything. I was wrong to assume they were the same perhaps.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ncp)
My bad, I remember speaking to universities when going through adjustment and not having to change anything. I was wrong to assume they were the same perhaps.
Adjustment is as you describe it - a risk free way of making enquiries, but clearing is a different kettle of fish, I'm afraid.
Thierry745
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexion)
I mean, this would be dependent on the university - but most unis will happily accept deferred entry as long as you meet the entry requirements (or seem like you will, if you go back into study again).

It's different depending wherever you're talking about, so best thing to do is just contact the university itself and ask them
(Original post by ageshallnot)
A flat-out no. You can ask this year's firm to defer you till 2016, but you cannot then apply in the next Ucas cycle without cancelling your deferred choice.
So I would be able to defer entry to next year, but not apply to other uni's through the normal cycle? Um if I explain to them I'd like to re apply through ucas for 2016 with some valid reasons, and I achieved their requirement, I should in theory get offered an unconditional right?

Thanks for the replies guys!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So I would be able to defer entry to next year, but not apply to other uni's through the normal cycle? Um if I explain to them I'd like to re apply through ucas for 2016 with some valid reasons, and I achieved their requirement, I should in theory get offered an unconditional right?

Your first sentence is correct.

If you turn down a uni this year, but then re-apply to them as one of your five choices for next year, then it is unlikely that they will hold it against you. In fact, they probably won't even remember who you are so I doubt you would need to explain why you are doing this. If you have achieved the grades for 2016 entry then yes, any offer would be unconditional. Is that what you are asking?
SonicOfPron
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Best and honest answer is to ask the uni's direct as they can give the honest answer.

People here only provide advice which is just their views.
Thierry745
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Your first sentence is correct.

If you turn down a uni this year, but then re-apply to them as one of your five choices for next year, then it is unlikely that they will hold it against you. In fact, they probably won't even remember who you are so I doubt you would need to explain why you are doing this. If you have achieved the grades for 2016 entry then yes, any offer would be unconditional. Is that what you are asking?
Yeah thats perfect, thanks

(Original post by SonicOfPron)
Best and honest answer is to ask the uni's direct as they can give the honest answer.

People here only provide advice which is just their views.
will do, cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.79%
Uncertainty around my education (85)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.63%
Lack of purpose or motivation (95)
12.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.25%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.65%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.77%
Financial worries (50)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.31%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.56%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed