The Student Room Group

I put a bowl of bottled water a bowl of tap water in front my cat.

The cat ALWAYS drinks the bottled water.
So do I.
Why do people think buying better water is a waste of money? It's not that expensive.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cuz it's water

I've drunk tap water all my life and I'm fine. I don't really notice that big a difference between them to be honest, certainly not enough to spend money every week on bottled.
Original post by ronmack
cuz it's water

"required to provide quality reports, required to provide source"

Yes, at source. There's no checking that your pipes aren't old/eroding and that chemicals from groundwater aren't seeping into your supply.

I don't think either are safe. But I prefer the taste of bottled so I go with that :h:
The only time I ever buy bottled water is if I want a bottle to take with me somewhere, as I don't keep empty water bottles lying around. I've never noticed any taste difference.
Reply 5
Original post by Comeback

I don't think either are safe. But I prefer the taste of bottled so I go with that :h:

Fair enough
Did you know that plastic breaks down into tiny particles which fish eat and we're eating plastic when we eat fish. I hope you recycle your water bottles.
Reply 7
Has the bottled water been in the fridge or not?

Cat's tend to go for water that is at room temperature.
Reply 8
Original post by RFowler
The only time I ever buy bottled water is if I want a bottle to take with me somewhere, as I don't keep empty water bottles lying around. I've never noticed any taste difference.

It depends on the brand your buying. Aquafina has a stronger taste
Original post by A5ko
Has the bottled water been in the fridge or not?

Cat's tend to go for water that is at room temperature.

Well when I leave both bowls out next to each other in the open for hours and hours the temperature tends to even out, so you can assume temperature is constant.

If the cat prefers the bottled water, it suggests that maybe the tap water has some sort of problem maybe?
Original post by Raven of the Sun
The cat ALWAYS drinks the bottled water.
So do I.
Why do people think buying better water is a waste of money? It's not that expensive.

you should put a bowl of filtered tap water and see what happens
Reply 11
Well when I leave both bowls out next to each other in the open for hours and hours the temperature tends to even out, so you can assume temperature is constant.

If the cat prefers the bottled water, it suggests that maybe the tap water has some sort of problem maybe?

The cat would have no concept of what the water is made up of so it's possible they simply prefer the taste/smell or whatever bottled water you got.

They lick rain off of roof tiles, so they're not that fussy over quality.
Original post by A5ko
The cat would have no concept of what the water is made up of so it's possible they simply prefer the taste/smell or whatever bottled water you got.

They lick rain off of roof tiles, so they're not that fussy over quality.

That's another possibility. I still think that there's something not right about my tap water.
idk I just like Evian
The value bottled water is like a couple of pennies
We have a Brita filter jug in our fridge which we use. I hate the taste of tap water

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would I pay for something I can get for free?
Original post by NotNotBatman
Why would I pay for something I can get for free?

The same reason you don't search your neighbour's garbage can for leftovers

Original post by LeaX
We have a Brita filter jug in our fridge which we use. I hate the taste of tap water

The quality of some water filters, especially the most popular ones, is questionable.
TBH My sisters cat prefers to go outside and drink out of a green puddle... I won't be following suit
The same reason you don't search your neighbours garbage can for leftovers

But tap water is safe, food from my neighbours garbage can isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest