The Student Room Group

Is it wrong for white people to have cornrows?

Scroll to see replies

Makes me wonder if it isn't racist to try to harass people based on the combination of their hairstyles & the colour of their skin. No skin tone, age, religion, or ethnicity has exclusive ownership over hairstyles, clothes styles, or anything else to a similar end. I mean, arguably, the statement "is it wrong for white people to have cornrows" itself is fundamentally racist since it implies that people with white skin are inherently different to people with black skin outside of the colour of their skin, and should as a result behave and present themselves differently.

Let everyone do whatever they like as long as they aren't deliberately offending each-other. Racism is a force that cannot be defeated while the two groups are taught that they should behave & dress differently and that any attempt to deviate into each-other's comfort zone is racism and politically incorrect. For the same reason that classifying pink as a "girl's" colour and blue as a "boy's" colour helps enforce and inflict gender norms, stuff like this is enforcing racial norms.

That said, I'm open to an alternative point of view if a sufficient argument is presented, though I feel like society needs to be a bit more forward thinking and defeat all these backwards beliefs like racism by actually embracing equality, not picking and choosing which groups can do what.
Reply 21
Original post by Ndella
The reason Kylie is getting "picked on" is because her and her family have a history of using another culture as a costume whilst having no education on the context of the clothing or hairstyle.

There's also double standards present when Kylie - a white woman - is seen as trendy and edgy when she wears a traditionally black hairstyle, whilst actual black girls are ridiculed for doing the same thing. I myself have received some stupid comments from others when I wore cornrows as a child.

Perhaps if it was the first time that Kylie was appropriating black culture she would have got away with it. But that's not the case. Her family constantly wear Asian and Native American traditional clothing and accessories, as well as paying to get surgery for predominately black features (big lips and butt.) Its funny how they love other cultures but don't give a **** about their struggles. Kylie hasn't once used her status to comment on the police brutality towards African Americans, which really summarises the extent of her respect for other people, and that hurts.

My point is that white people can do whatever they want, all we want is for them to be aware of where the cultural products they wear come from, why we wear them and to respect ethnic minorities and their struggles. At the end of the day they can take off the cornrows, but black people will still be scrutinised in America for every little thing.
An amazing thing just happened - I understood every word of what you just said, yet I wasn't even aware that I spoke Swahili! Culture is spread and shared - it belongs to no one. She didn't appropriate your culture, she just decided she liked a particular way of styling her hair.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by TomatoLounge
Global super-talent KylieJenner has been criticised for 'appropriating black culture' after posting a selfie of her with cornrows. Link: ind.pn/1gwTRIi

Is it a celebration of black culture or is Jenner exploiting her privilege?
Hunger Games actress Amandla Stenberg has criticised her for “appropriating black culture” while “failing to help black Americans”.

Bit racist to suggest its only appropriate for blacks to have cornrows. To be honest i wouldn't ever have them but if someone wants to have a certain hair style its surely completely their choice.
Original post by Wade-
Well are black people appropriating white culture if they do traditionally white things?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No because, racism plus oppression minus privilege divided by systematic something or other = Shut up whitey!! It's impossible for you to be a victim of racism!!
Original post by anunoriginaluser
Makes me wonder if it isn't racist to try to harass people based on the combination of their hairstyles & the colour of their skin. No skin tone, age, religion, or ethnicity has exclusive ownership over hairstyles, clothes styles, or anything else to a similar end. I mean, arguably, the statement "is it wrong for white people to have cornrows" itself is fundamentally racist since it implies that people with white skin are inherently different to people with black skin outside of the colour of their skin, and should as a result behave and present themselves differently.

Let everyone do whatever they like as long as they aren't deliberately offending each-other. Racism is a force that cannot be defeated while the two groups are taught that they should behave & dress differently and that any attempt to deviate into each-other's comfort zone is racism and politically incorrect. For the same reason that classifying pink as a "girl's" colour and blue as a "boy's" colour helps enforce and inflict gender norms, stuff like this is enforcing racial norms.

That said, I'm open to an alternative point of view if a sufficient argument is presented, though I feel like society needs to be a bit more forward thinking and defeat all these backwards beliefs like racism by actually embracing equality, not picking and choosing which groups can do what.

isn't racism = discrimination + power?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frankthebunny
isn't racism = discrimination + power?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a linguist, but my meaning should be clear nonetheless. To clarify, I meant racial discrimination in general, whether oppressive or not.
Original post by Crongety
How is black culture demonised by the media? If anything the opposite is true. The American media has a fetish for black people which is very obvious and very weird.

A fetish would be if black people were celebrated by the media. If anything, the opposite is true. Crimes committed by blacks get substantially more media attention than whites, which suggests the media has an obvious ulterior motive.
Original post by ChampEon
the media has an obvious ulterior motive.

Forgive me, but if a motive is obvious it cannot be ulterior.
Not morally, but it looks horrendous. So do dreads, although not on a black guy.
Reply 29
Not wrong at all. And there's nothing wrong with "exploiting one's privilege" either - that's just another way of saying you're exercising your rightful freedoms without persecution.

She has no obligation at all to help black people because she wants to wear a haircut that's traditionally worn by black people. It's nice when people help other people, but it's not demanded because you've benefited from aspects of another culture.
We appropriate other cultures constantly; in the food we eat, the music we listen to, the clothes we wear, even the way we speak. It doesn't matter how possessive you are of your culture, it will be taken by others and morphed and changed, that's just how the world works.

Personally, I think it's a good thing, life would be awfully dull if we kept all elements of culture segregated according to skin colour, gender, class etc.
ChampEon
A fetish would be if black people were celebrated by the media. If anything, the opposite is true. Crimes committed by blacks get substantially more media attention than whites, which suggests the media has an obvious ulterior motive.

Or...it's because black people actually do commit way more crime. Especially relative to their population. When white people commit crimes against black people it dominates the media but when the far more common opposite occurrence happens it barely ever makes it outside of local news. Blacks killing whites happens almost dailyNon the usa, but you have to go to non mainstream sources to hear about it.
Omg this is not a big deal! Im black... how is it in anyway insulting? People are so pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely someone like Jenner bringing cornrows and other "black people stuff" into fashion is exactly what race-big-deal-******s want? If you complain that your black features are hideous by our Eurocentric standards then surely someone like this could make them...beautiful?

Idk, it seems like she doesn't really know what she wants from her apart from self-loathing and eternal contrition, I guess.
Or...it's because black people actually do commit way more crime. Especially relative to their population. When white people commit crimes against black people it dominates the media but when the far more common opposite occurrence happens it barely ever makes it outside of local news. Blacks killing whites happens almost dailyNon the usa, but you have to go to non mainstream sources to hear about it.

Daily lol you absolute joker where is your source of information?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Killa Kam
Daily lol you absolute joker where is your source of information? I think you will find crime has been commited since dawn of time by whites, they just call it politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
it is like saying Christians should not be circumcised as that is appropriating Jewish culture ?
I don't care about the PC crazy world aspect of it, it just looks wrong...
Original post by Killa Kam
Daily lol you absolute joker where is your source of information?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, I deleted my first post because the link was dodgy. But are you really denying that black people commit more crimes in the USA? 60% of violent crime is committed by 12% of the population, this is a cultural problem that goes beyond lack of education or poverty. It's pretty obvious to any objective outside observer that this has nothing to do with racism, it is caused by the fact blacks glorify violent criminality in their culture. Source: listen to most hip hop songs, and not hthe modern hipster crap that only white people listen too, but the music that black people actually listen to.

Blacks kill each other by the hour yet all leftists can argue about is whether or not white people should have cornrows? lol. Says it all really.

As for interracial crime. Just look it up. Everyday blacks kill whites in brutal ways. Even liberal media outlets like huffpo admit there's a double standard when it comes to reporting interracial crime because it's so obvious when you look into it, they just try and excuse it because they hate white people and love black people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-cesca/blackonwhite-crime-and-th_b_1521775.html

By the way - I'm not fully white myself though I mostly look white.
(edited 8 years ago)
But are you really denying that black people commit more crimes in the USA? 60% of violent crime is committed by 12% of the population, this is a cultural problem that goes beyond lack of education or poverty. It's pretty obvious to any objective outside observer that this has nothing to do with racism, it is caused by the fact blacks glorify violent criminality in their culture. Source: listen to most hip hop songs, and not hthe modern hipster crap that only white people listen too, but the music that black people actually listen to.

I can't decide which would be worse, this post as a trolling attempt or this post as a display of ignorance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending