Far left and right wing euro sceptics unite!

Watch
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The enemy of my enemy is my friend- this thinking has long been behind the motives of the far left and far right (commies and fascists have a long history working together against the evil liberal consensus for instance 1930s- Spain,Poland etc). Once again, this is the case with a vile tirade of Germaniphobia coming from the lefties- ( Germans are evil nazis who delight in starving Greeks seems to be the narrative from the likes of Owen jones). Of course there'd be a field day if somebody something like that about Muslims l, but because the German people are fed up of bailing out Greece Mrs merkel is the reincarnation of the (Austrian) Hitler.

In the last EU referendum the likes of Tony Benn and Enoch Powell joined forces and fought a rag rag campaign that combined the traditionalist right with the radical left. It appears that this will be the case again with a slew of the great and good left ditching the EU as I predicted because the EU won't let Greece bankrupt the euro (how dare they!)

The now latter day out campaign could now conceivably include a certain Caroline Lucas campaigning alongside the likes of Owen Payerson and of course the peoples champion.

I for one think this is fantastic news- it'll essentially cancel both sides stupid arguments out and like last time allow a sensible moderate faction ( Kendall, umunna, Lamb, Cameron, Rudd etc) to present a rational common- sense positive narrative not one defined by evil Germans or lazy Romanians.

The EU is the product of the pragmatic centre and is thus hated by the ideological loons of the political spectrum. Thus they fail to grasp reality and offer futile populist suggestions- for instance in Greece leaving the euro or writing off all debts. Neither changes any of the problems that Greece is suffering and much like Syriza will be a short term placebo.

I hope the Uk will again have far more sense and will not fail for the same lazy populism in 2017.
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
The enemy of my enemy is my friend- this thinking has long been behind the motives of the far left and far right (commies and fascists have a long history working together against the evil liberal consensus- Spain,Poland etc). =
Not sure what you are on about but Central & Eastern Europe are overwhelmingly in support of Germany, even those who are not in the Euro. Especially Finland, Estonia and Poland. They are all fiscally nazist/conservative. A 3% deficit in any of these countries is the breakdown of government and society and martial law is imposed. (almost)

Doesn't hurt to keep up with news.
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by SotonianOne)
Not sure what you are on about but Central & Eastern Europe are overwhelmingly in support of Germany, even those who are not in the Euro. Especially Finland, Estonia and Poland. They are all fiscally nazist/conservative. A 3% deficit in any of these countries is the
breakdown of government and society and martial law is imposed. (almost)
Doesn't hurt to keep up with news.
Heh I was on about the 1930s when I was talking about the history. I'll make that clearer in the OP.

Glad to see you unbanned!
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Heh I was on about the 1930s when I was talking about the history. I'll make that clearer in the OP.

Glad to see you unbanned!
Oh sorry, I'm not good with sarcasm in the early morning. But yes I think many "issues" with EU are overblown completely.
The_Mighty_Bush
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The enemy of my enemy is my friend- this thinking has long been behind the motives of the far left and far right (commies and fascists have a long history working together against the evil liberal consensus for instance 1930s- Spain,Poland etc). Once again, this is the case with a vile tirade of Germaniphobia coming from the lefties- ( Germans are evil nazis who delight in starving Greeks seems to be the narrative from the likes of Owen jones). Of course there'd be a field day if somebody something like that about Muslims l, but because the German people are fed up of bailing out Greece Mrs merkel is the reincarnation of the (Austrian) Hitler.

In the last EU referendum the likes of Tony Benn and Enoch Powell joined forces and fought a rag rag campaign that combined the traditionalist right with the radical left. It appears that this will be the case again with a slew of the great and good left ditching the EU as I predicted because the EU won't let Greece bankrupt the euro (how dare they!)

The now latter day out campaign could now conceivably include a certain Caroline Lucas campaigning alongside the likes of Owen Payerson and of course the peoples champion.

I for one think this is fantastic news- it'll essentially cancel both sides stupid arguments out and like last time allow a sensible moderate faction ( Kendall, umunna, Lamb, Cameron, Rudd etc) to present a rational common- sense positive narrative not one defined by evil Germans or lazy Romanians.

The EU is the product of the pragmatic centre and is thus hated by the ideological loons of the political spectrum. Thus they fail to grasp reality and offer futile populist suggestions- for instance in Greece leaving the euro or writing off all debts. Neither changes any of the problems that Greece is suffering and much like Syriza will be a short term placebo.

I hope the Uk will again have far more sense and will not fail for the same lazy populism in 2017.
What on earth are you talking about? Communists and rightists killed each other in their thousands in Spain in the 30s. They didn't work together.
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
What on earth are you talking about? Communists and rightists killed each other in their thousands in Spain in the 30s. They didn't work together.
They worked together against their shared common enemy : the liberal government and the anarchists at the time.

Yes they did kill each other in the thousands but that didn't stop them cooperating- for instance in Britain the communist party of Great Britain were strongly against Britain going to war with Germany until hitler attacked the USSR
The_Mighty_Bush
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They worked together against their shared common enemy : the liberal government and the anarchists at the time.

Yes they did kill each other in the thousands but that didn't stop them cooperating- for instance in Britain the communist party of Great Britain were strongly against Britain going to war with Germany until hitler attacked the USSR
The communists who took orders from the USSR were the controlling faction of the popular front. The government was not liberal in the sense that I think you are using it here. They attacked basic religious freedoms and freedom of association by banning the Jesuits. They did nothing to stop the violent aggression against the Church and landowners by revolutionaries that was a common occurrence. They were in actuality on the same side as those who were committing this revolutionary violence. We see this when the war started that most of the liberals or moderates essentially disappeared either joining the side of the reds or , as many of the free market liberalsright.c joining the nationalists. The nationalists didn't collaborate with the reds to defeat the anarchists. They were always opposed to both the anarchists and the communists. Yes, the communists attacked the anarchists but I fail to see how this means that they were on the same side as the nationalists. They were fundamentally at odds.

The British communists be against their war until the USSR was attacked does not mean they collaborated with the right. They were just being their usual treasonous selves.
HigherMinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is Caroline Lucas anti European Union? I didn't think so... I didn't think anybody in the Green party were anti EU because muh greenpeace muh climate change activism, etc.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HigherMinion)
Is Caroline Lucas anti European Union? I didn't think so... I didn't think anybody in the Green party were anti EU because muh greenpeace muh climate change activism, etc.
They are anti-EU to some extent, but support some form of renegotiation (not David Cameron's attempts though). I get the impression they support it in principle but don't like it in its current form. And a lot of Green party opposition to the EU is over things like TTIP.

The EU's environmental record is far from perfect, so don't assume that environmentalists must be 100% supportive of it.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ridiculous thread.
Stop trying to limit the scale of acceptable opinion.
There are left wing reasons for leaving the EU such as the capitalist aspects TTIP and its treatment of Greece, there are right wing reasons for leaving the EU such as immigration.
I'm unsure how I will vote but clearly the left wing reasons appeal to me more than the right wing ones and vice versa for right wing folk.

Just because there may be a coincidental overlap (its not like they're running on the same reasons) does not warrant ridiculous comparisons to the Nazis and Soviets.
Come off it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads