Leanne1455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have a unconditional offer to study modern languages at the University of Birmingham this September. My post A level language is German. If I had the opportunity I would choose French as my beginners language but since I can only take it up extra curricular I am left to choose between Spanish or Italian as my beginners language. I am really unsure which one to pick or even whether to just study German and really concentrate on my French. Personally I would rather the year abroad in Italy and my friend already knows a little Italian so we can practice together but on the other hand Spanish seems slightly more appealing as a language and is more global. Opinions ??????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ennessee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!
I am Italian and I love my beautiful language. If you decide to study Italian, I would be very happy to help you! It is true, Spanish is widely spoken and it gives you the opportunity to use it more often, but I can assure you that Italian is very interesting and stimulating! Furthermore, if you have to spend a year abroad I could give you all the necessary information. Just make sure you follow your passion!

(Original post by Leanne1455)
I have a unconditional offer to study modern languages at the University of Birmingham this September. My post A level language is German. If I had the opportunity I would choose French as my beginners language but since I can only take it up extra curricular I am left to choose between Spanish or Italian as my beginners language. I am really unsure which one to pick or even whether to just study German and really concentrate on my French. Personally I would rather the year abroad in Italy and my friend already knows a little Italian so we can practice together but on the other hand Spanish seems slightly more appealing as a language and is more global. Opinions ??????

Posted from TSR Mobile
KeriKG
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you add Spanish or Italian to the French there will be a mess in your head... DO something else
Leanne1455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Ennessee)
Hi!
I am Italian and I love my beautiful language. If you decide to study Italian, I would be very happy to help you! It is true, Spanish is widely spoken and it gives you the opportunity to use it more often, but I can assure you that Italian is very interesting and stimulating! Furthermore, if you have to spend a year abroad I could give you all the necessary information. Just make sure you follow your passion!
Thank you! Italian culture interests me more than Spanish! It's so diverse and interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ho imparato il spagnolo perché pensavo che sarebbe più utile ma devo ammettere che italiano è più interessante!!! (molto più)

Direi che dovresti studiare italiano perché penso che italiano ti piaccia più di spagnolo
Stresshead94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did A Level Spanish but started Portuguese and Italian from scratch in uni so I completely understand how you would be hesitant about picking up 2 new languages, but I think it is completely doable, as long as you don't struggle already with your German. I'm not going to lie, it will get a little bit confusing sometimes but you are in a better situation than me because German is completely different to the others.
In terms of difficulty, Spanish and Italian are fairly equal so if you are going to pick between them, choose the one which you are more passionate about which seems to be Italian. Even though Spanish is more widely spoken, choosing Italian could improve your employability because there will be less people who speak it so more demand.
liquidconfidence
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spanish is spoken more, but I would say Italian lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads