The Student Room Group
Reply 1
bump
I think it's trying to say that computer games don't make you violent, and expecting you to discuss research into the effects of computer games and the media into anti-social behaviour.
Reply 3
yeah thats what i thought but i was wondering where rik waller 'fits' into the equation?

will it have to be biographical in any sense?
Reply 4
MC REN
Going through revision pack and this question came up, wasn't sure how to answer it...

"Blaming computer games for making you violent is like blaming Rik Waller for making you fat" Discuss.

wow.. i did psych... i've never come across a question like that before! lol. :tongue: (thinks) But yeh... i agree with Surfing Hamster. It's a awkward way of asking you about the media ie it's being sarcastic by saying you can't possibly blame Rik Waller for someone's obesity so therefore how can you blame video games for violence(!) In whicn case, you argue for and against the effects on media on anti-social behaviour. And rem! if the question comes in teh form of a quote, you MUST refer to it at some point in your answer too, okay? :smile: hope that helps! any more questions, feel free to ask! -psych's one of my strong points! :biggrin:
MC REN
Going through revision pack and this question came up, wasn't sure how to answer it...

"Blaming computer games for making you violent is like blaming Rik Waller for making you fat" Discuss.

It'll be something to do with discussing the behaviourist approach to human behaviour- that all behaviour is learnt from observation, modelling and reinforcement for example from the media. So, blaming computer games for violence learnt by operant conditioning (because you get rewarded for violence in them) could be likened to Rik Waller being rewarded for being fat due to all the attention he gets from the media for it, people may vicariously learn this behaviour and then copy it (presumably by eating lots). However, this is definitely a weak case of similarity- learning behaviour by observation (as in the Rik case) is different from learning it yourself by conditioning. In psychology you can write pretty much nething and get full marks neway!

Latest

Trending

Trending