Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain the priciples of isolation and speciation? Is it isolation occurs as a result of speciation? Or the other way round. Can someone also tell me how prezygotic and postzygotic isolation and allopatric and sympatric speciation is involved in all this?

I am doing A2 Edexcel Biology

I am getting reall confused - so PLEASE help - would really appreciate it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Sally)
    Can someone explain the priciples of isolation and speciation? Is it isolation occurs as a result of speciation? Or the other way round. Can someone also tell me how prezygotic and postzygotic isolation and allopatric and sympatric speciation is involved in all this?

Thanks
    Oh thank god I dont do that awful awful subject anymore.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Isolation often results in speciation. Allopatric speciation is speciation due to geographical isolation, whereas sympatric speciation occurs within an existing population e.g. via the formation of sterile hybrids. Prezygotic thus includes allopatric speciation (as this prevents the gametes from meeting), whereas postzygotic reproductive isolation is usually linked with sympatric isolation (e.g. sterile or inviable hybrid formation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Oh thank god I dont do that awful awful subject anymore.
    Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound!!!

ReputationRep:
    arnt you a silly sally :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    Isolation often results in speciation. Allopatric speciation is speciation due to geographical isolation, whereas sympatric speciation occurs within an existing population e.g. via the formation of sterile hybrids. Prezygotic thus includes allopatric speciation (as this prevents the gametes from meeting), whereas postzygotic reproductive isolation is usually linked with sympatric isolation (e.g. sterile or inviable hybrid formation).
    Thanks for that - you deserve a rep!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    arnt you a silly sally :rolleyes:
    Hence the name!!!

So many people have told me that though - do i just give the impression i am silly!!! :confused: - still i don't mind!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hence the name!!!

So many people have told me that though - do i just give the impression i am silly!!! :confused: - still i don't mind!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    She is silly really! i know her in real-life! lol. she's exceptionally clever though (she's going to be doing medicine at UCL come sept!).

btw sally, Soz and I are horribly offended! you didnt wait to hear our wonderful emails of explanation to you before you asked ppl on here! it took me 30mins to read and write it for you! <sulks>

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.