CharlieK94
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I never considered going to university. Purely because I studied a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business Studies, rather than A-levels. I always used to think that in order to get accepted at university, you needed A-levels, you needed to be an A* GCSE student and naturally gifted academically. So for those reasons, university was never an option for me.

I was in the second and final year of my BTEC course, where I could not quite believe that I was on track to achieve Distinction* Distinction* Distinction* - which is actually equivalent to three A* A-levels (420 UCAS points). It was only then, that I started to believe I could go to university. So I applied to Anglia Ruskin University through UCAS as a late applicant to study Business Management.

Soon after, my place at Anglia Ruskin University was officially confirmed and it was the start of my three year journey. Since that day, I have not looked back and keep over achieving. I am on track to achieve a first, and I thought I would never, ever be able to say this after studying BTEC. It just goes to show, that there’s more than one route to university; if you study a BTEC course, don’t let that hold you back. You will be surprised by the correlation between BTEC coursework and university essays and all the course work on a BTEC really prepares you for study at University.
08.f.poswal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CharlieK94)
I never considered going to university. Purely because I studied a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business Studies, rather than A-levels. I always used to think that in order to get accepted at university, you needed A-levels, you needed to be an A* GCSE student and naturally gifted academically. So for those reasons, university was never an option for me.

I was in the second and final year of my BTEC course, where I could not quite believe that I was on track to achieve Distinction* Distinction* Distinction* - which is actually equivalent to three A* A-levels (420 UCAS points). It was only then, that I started to believe I could go to university. So I applied to Anglia Ruskin University through UCAS as a late applicant to study Business Management.

Soon after, my place at Anglia Ruskin University was officially confirmed and it was the start of my three year journey. Since that day, I have not looked back and keep over achieving. I am on track to achieve a first, and I thought I would never, ever be able to say this after studying BTEC. It just goes to show, that there’s more than one route to university; if you study a BTEC course, don’t let that hold you back. You will be surprised by the correlation between BTEC coursework and university essays
and all the course work on a BTEC really prepares you for study at University.
Yep. I certainly agree although I haven't started my second year of btec yet. There is lots of independent research involved in that there is little spoon feeding. Also, essay/report writing is normal in btec so that too is good preparation for uni. It's amazing how a btec opens up minds and there are still many opportunities!
CharlieK94
Rep:
?
That's great, which BTEC course are you studying?
I find that the BTEC course prepared me better for university, as the work is coursework based. At university there are a couple of exams, I am going into my third year in September and I have only done three exams throughout my whole time here! I definately do not regret going to university
08.f.poswal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CharlieK94)
That's great, which BTEC course are you studying?
I find that the BTEC course prepared me better for university, as the work is coursework based. At university there are a couple of exams, I am going into my third year in September and I have only done three exams throughout my whole time here! I definately do not regret going to university
Applied Science
CharlieK94
Rep:
?
Sounds great! Good luck for your second year at college
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.36%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.45%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.15%
I need help with my personal statement (91)
41.94%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (53)
24.42%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.84%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (17)
7.83%

Watched Threads