Weird music tastes

Watch
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

So I wanted to pose a question to you all. Do you enjoy certain music that really does not sit well with your general music tastes?

To give a bit of context to what I mean, I recently hard Never Ending Story by Limahl. Now, I haven't heard this song since I was a child and I was genuinely enjoying it. I oddly love songs like these, as well as corny Disney songs, ABBA, or even Blondie and Bonnie Tyler.

The reason I find this odd is because I tend towards rock and metal - I particularly love really heavy industrial metal and avant garde metal.

These few pop songs really do not square nicely with the rock and metal I listen to.

Anyone else have this and anyone know why we find such songs entertaining and enjoyable, even when they really aren't the sort of genres we like?
blackened_sky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
I oddly love songs like these, as well as corny Disney songs, ABBA, or even Blondie and Bonnie Tyler.
It isn't odd. Everyone loves that ****. Some people just don't admit it.
Teaddict
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackened_sky)
Even the theme song to Never Ending Story?

How about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqJTKdznaM (This is perhaps the 'gayest' song I secretly like). I would never add it to a playlist but there is something about this kind of terrible old music I really like... and I can't figure out what it is.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like jazz, specificy gypsy and what I listened to when I was 13, which was Britpop.
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have always really liked listening to classical music, but I've taken to listening to a lot of thrash metal recently, which i also quite like. I detest pop, rap etc. btw
Does this count as a 'weird music taste', since the two types of music sit at odds to one another?
MJlover
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
I like jazz, specificy gypsy and what I listened to when I was 13, which was Britpop.
I loved Britpop when i was 13/14/15. oasis, stone roses, blur. Also was intensely in love with the Smiths back in my teens. I consider it a bit odd considering my background ect
lustawny
Badges: 6
Report 5 years ago
I'm into all sorts. I don't think it's weird or embarrassing for a guy to enjoy listening to ABBA - they were an awesome music group!

I also really like HAIM. Come at me, bro's and mofo's.
lustawny
Badges: 6
Report 5 years ago

Teaddict
Rep:
?
(Original post by an_atheist)
I have always really liked listening to classical music, but I've taken to listening to a lot of thrash metal recently, which i also quite like. I detest pop, rap etc. btw
Does this count as a 'weird music taste', since the two types of music sit at odds to one another?
I don't think they are at odds at all. Some research looking at the demographics of music genres - those who listen to particular music genres - finds that the only difference between those who listen to classical and those who listen to 'metal' (quite broad) is age. Those who listen to classical tend to be older.

There is a lot of overlap in this music, and you will find many metal artists take a huge amount of influence from classical music.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Nostalgia supreme.
thecatwithnohat
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lustawny)

HAIM

SO PERFECT. MUCH PERFECTION. I luv them so much :cry2:

I actually went mad when one of my friends said that they couldn't sing :mob:
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess my usual taste is black/folk metal and early progressive rock.

I'm not one of these people who will claim to listen to everything because I really don't. I just see something in these genres that is special, usually for different reasons. I like black metal because of the dark atmosphere and because it can be the most appropriate musical device for conveying some things. I like the way cacophony can come together to produce something with deep meaning and strong emotional attachment to the performers. I grew up with prog rock so that's why I like it. But I do like other strange things too:

I like Kraftwerk because of melodies, because they weren't afraid to innovate and because I just like the textures they use. It's music played on electronic instruments at it's heart rather than "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO WITH MY MACBOOK!!one1!".

I like traditional folk (and 1970s folk/rock revival) as the tunes are often very pleasant and it's link with the past which I really appreciate.

In terms of individual songs, I really like Get Lucky by Daft Punk, Fire by Kasabian, Happy by Pharrel Williams and Wake Me Up by Avicii. I think all of those songs have a very positive sound to them and are catchy, so that probably helps me enjoy them.
jeje198
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really love kpop and k-hiphop, which is quite contrasting from what I generally listen to which is alternative/indie/folk/rock music.

(Original post by lustawny)

(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
HAIM

SO PERFECT. MUCH PERFECTION. I luv them so much :cry2:

I actually went mad when one of my friends said that they couldn't sing :mob:
HAIM FTW!! They are so badass, I love it

(Original post by Teaddict)
I oddly love songs like these, as well as corny Disney songs, ABBA, or even Blondie and Bonnie Tyler.
Whoever says they don't belt out to the Mamma Mia soundtrack every now and then and says they hate ABBA are lying and can come fight me.
Madmatician
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I listen to all sorts of music to be honest. Usually, it's indie/folk/alternative/singer-songwriter. I guess the most unusual recently has been some of the songs by twenty one pilots (such as "Stressed Out" and "Fairly Local" - both these have rapping in them which I don't really listen to) and I also enjoy the song "City" by Hollywood Undead for some reason
emlaar97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ho about this ? I love it ! These guys are from Finland and are completely insane !
Idlemild
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's tough to pick something outside of my normal listening patterns because I listen to loads of things from post-metal to hip hop by way of soundtracks.

But the opening theme to the anime Lucky Star probably sticks out a bit...
sandvika
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blackened_sky)
I hate that ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Erm, not many people would like the more experimental and cold IDM I listen to. Autechre can be viscerally beatiful, but often they choose to be as cold as **** (which has it's own hidden beauty):

sinclairbest
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

a friend of me is listening to German "Schlager" which isn't exacttly the music that you would expect him to ear at irst sight. Personally this music is just weird and i dont know how someone can be really into that kind of music.
blackened_sky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sandvika)
I hate that ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads