Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

LOOK!!! Degree employability stats!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/pic...,125607,00.jpg

Have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Law is much lower than I expected for graduate jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Law is much lower than I expected for graduate jobs.
    Ditto, bit shocked, I presume it means the employability in relation to the degree, e.g. percentage of law graduates whom become practising solicitors/training contracts/etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing that's supposed to be 19% not 198% on Town and Country Planning? That *would* be impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    I'm guessing that's supposed to be 19% not 198% on Town and Country Planning? That *would* be impressive.
    Unless it means that the extra 98% (in relation to people doing the degree) are people from other degrees going into town and country planning? Thats the only other plausiable explanation I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Unless it means that the extra 98% (in relation to people doing the degree) are people from other degrees going into town and country planning? Thats the only other plausiable explanation I can think of.
    Well I'm going on the basis that they're adding the two columns together to rank them, and the one above is 83, the one below is 79, so 62+19 would give 81 putting it in that place.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting...American Studies has a higher employment rate than English. And here's me deciding to do English because I thought it would lead to better job opportunities!

ReputationRep:
    Erm remember to take the further study into account too, it seems most law graduates go onto further study hence the low graduate employment rate.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...computer science doesn't look as promising as I'd hoped...

ReputationRep:
    bloody depressing this....... i turned down medicine for microbiology... erm!

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean that the X% who don't go on to further study or get a graduate level job go into entry-level jobs? 'cause for my degree that figure is 44% and they can't all be unemployed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Town and country planning has a very high employment rate, it won't be 19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Ditto, bit shocked, I presume it means the employability in relation to the degree, e.g. percentage of law graduates whom become practising solicitors/training contracts/etc.
    Its talking about employment straight after the degree. The 24% mentioned are probably the 24% who decide not to do an LPC or BVC, and secure a graduate job. The LPC & BVC are probably counted as further study. Considering that around two thirds do either one of these, this leaves 9% who leave legal education after the degree but don't find graduate employment, which is good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/pic...,125607,00.jpg

Have a look.
    civil engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Its talking about employment straight after the degree. The 24% mentioned are probably the 24% who decide not to do an LPC or BVC, and secure a graduate job. The LPC & BVC are probably counted as further study. Considering that around two thirds do either one of these, this leaves 9% who leave legal education after the degree but don't find graduate employment, which is good!
    Yeah kinda figured that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    civil engineering
    Oh yes indeedy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Huntroyde)
    Town and country planning has a very high employment rate, it won't be 19%
    That's the further study figure - the employment rate is given as 62%

ReputationRep:
    Why do they always lump Pharmacology and Pharmacy together? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, just has always seemed weird to me ... especially in this case because the jobs most pharmacy graduates get are not gonna be the same as pharmacology graduates.

ReputationRep:
    what would accounting come under on that list, if it does???

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.