The Student Room Group

I would like to be a planner, I need advice!

I studied a social science for my undergraduate degree. After coming across information on careers in planning I have decided I would like to pursue a career as a planner but i have a few questions.I intend to study a masters in planning.

1. Does the university you go determine how employable you are? As I am considering doing the masters by distance learning as it will be cheaper, the universities that offer a masters in planning through distance learning are not well know as the other universities offering a full time masters.

2. Will employers look down on a distance learning masters compared to a full-time masters?

3. What career opportunities are there in the private sector?

4. How competitive is the job market for planners?

please if you can answer any of my questions please let me know!
Reply 1
Original post by wintersun
I studied a social science for my undergraduate degree. After coming across information on careers in planning I have decided I would like to pursue a career as a planner but i have a few questions.I intend to study a masters in planning.

1. Does the university you go determine how employable you are? As I am considering doing the masters by distance learning as it will be cheaper, the universities that offer a masters in planning through distance learning are not well know as the other universities offering a full time masters.

2. Will employers look down on a distance learning masters compared to a full-time masters?

3. What career opportunities are there in the private sector?

4. How competitive is the job market for planners?

please if you can answer any of my questions please let me know!

is this in regards to a specific sector i.e construction or just general planning.
Reply 2
Original post by AMG44
is this in regards to a specific sector i.e construction or just general planning.

I would like to work as a town planner.
If you want to be a town planner then you need to work for the management and development of the cities.

Quick Reply

Latest