MadHattHorne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just finished AS Geography (Edexcel) and didn't find it too challenging. At the moment I'm torn between dropping Geography and one of my other subjects.

I was just wondering how hard the course is at A2. Is the jump from AS really as hard as some people make out? Unit 4 in particular looks quite tough.....

Any comments from people who have been through it would be appreciated!
KieranH19977
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MadHattHorne)
I just finished AS Geography (Edexcel) and didn't find it too challenging. At the moment I'm torn between dropping Geography and one of my other subjects.

I was just wondering how hard the course is at A2. Is the jump from AS really as hard as some people make out? Unit 4 in particular looks quite tough.....

A2 geography is a lot more interesting than AS, unit 3 is quite challenging in terms of the pre-release that will come out in march but as long as you've prepared enough before hand learning the other topics then its not too bad. I personally found Unit 4 to be the easiest unit out of all of them, you have to produce a report on a chosen topic (i did tectonic hazards) and as long as you do a lot of practice reports before the pre-release comes out then it is pretty straightforward.
Spursam2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi
A2 geography is a very large step up from AS. Unit 1 and 2 are very easy compared to unit 3, however unit 4 is basically an extended version of unit 2 and is not challenging at all as long as you put the work in. One note on unit 3- there are 6 topics but in reality you only have to learn 3 of them, with one compulsory topic for the second part of the paper. I really recommend it though, unit 3 is super interesting and many topics such as energy security are very up to date. I may be biased though, I am going to be starting a geo degree in September.
Hope this helps
DaveUncle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MadHattHorne)

Hey, A2 Geography is in my opinion easier than AS, although less interesting for me. It is made up of 2 modules, like the AS:

Unit 3: Contested Planet
This unit is made up of 6 chapters and in the exam you answer questions on 3 of them - 2 are up to you, one is chosen for you in a pre-release. Personally, as someone applying to study the environmental side of Geography, only a couple of these chapters were particularly interesting to me. However, as mentioned this exam is probably the easiest on the course. You have 2 hours 30 to answer 7 questions for a total of 90 marks, so working at a mark-a-minute, you have loads of spare time in which you can think and plan.

Unit 4 - Geographical Research
This unit is a research unit - You get to pick from a variety of topics and research it. A couple months before the exam you get a pre-release that gives you an idea of what the question will be so you can focus your research. This unit caters for most geographic interests, with topics ranging from plate tectonics to culture. The paper will consist of one 70 mark question.

Overall, from my experience, Unit 3 is easy, Unit 4 is pretty tricky but you can learn to structure your reports well.

I'd say stick with Geography! The A2 really isn't much of a step up at all. Unit 1 is probably harder than Unit 3!

I should probably add I got 100% UMS at AS, if that makes what I've said here any more legitimate haha :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads