Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am about to sign up with these people, I know their reliable because I visit a site hosted by them quite often and I also go past their offices everyday so if their is any problems I can speak to them face to face.

However does anybody know if their prices include VAT or not? I can't seem to find out where it tells you.

www.34sp.com

ReputationRep:
    If you're only after the basics, they're fine. I haven't had any reliability issues with them in the past, but the 1Gb bandwidth limit proved a little restrictive sometimes. I don't believe the prices do include VAT.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think you can upgrade the bandwidth if you wish, I am only intend to host on site with that account anyway as I have my university account for everything else.

I use CSS for all the graphics and use a good compression to quality ratio on any photographs which should keep bandwidth usage down.

The second question is you when you signup is asks you to either choose a 34sp.com subdomain or enter in your domain name. At the moment I don't have one as I still haven't decided on the name, could I register with no domain name for now and change it later?

ReputationRep:
    You can upgrade the bandwidth, but prices for doing so are nowhere near as good value as their basic account. They pretty much rely on account upgrades for their profitability, I believe.

Domain selection - I would be very wary here. I'm not sure of 34sp's policy specifically, but I know a number of hosts aren't keen on you changing it afterwards and would essentially want you to close that account and open a new one. You could ask their support - I think they have a forum too that might give you a reasonably quick answer - but if in doubt, I think you should definitely pick a domain name before ordering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    You can upgrade the bandwidth, but prices for doing so are nowhere near as good value as their basic account. They pretty much rely on account upgrades for their profitability, I believe.

Domain selection - I would be very wary here. I'm not sure of 34sp's policy specifically, but I know a number of hosts aren't keen on you changing it afterwards and would essentially want you to close that account and open a new one. You could ask their support - I think they have a forum too that might give you a reasonably quick answer - but if in doubt, I think you should definitely pick a domain name before ordering.
    Yeah thanks I will do, I just hope 1gb a month is enough is should be, the site won't be too graphics intensive but it will have a PHP forum.

ReputationRep:
    I've had good experiences with UH hosting- http://www.uh-hosting.co.uk/. They're pretty cheap as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you're unlikely to use up the 1Gb with a graphics-light site unless it's very popular. The forum might start to eat it up, but it's unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Because 34sp have their servers based in the UK (not simply a UK based company owning servers hosted in the US) then you're likely to get much better support, and obviously latency is going to be noticeably quicker.

I've heard good things about www.register1.net

ReputationRep:
    I have a multi-domain hosting account with CheapUnlimitedHosting.com

The service is excellent and the prices are fantastic!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.