The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

LGBTQ+ scene

Can anyone tell me about the student LBGTQ+ scene in Leeds, and also the wider scene, especially for lesbians. I know about the union LGBT* society, their coffee mornings, (very occasional) union club nights and annual ball

What else is there ?

Also, what's the wider scene like ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emlaar97
Can anyone tell me about the student LBGTQ+ scene in Leeds, and also the wider scene, especially for lesbians. I know about the union LGBT* society, their coffee mornings, (very occasional) union club nights and annual ball

What else is there ?

Also, what's the wider scene like ?

Not sure about "the scene" from a student perspective, but I've walked through the gay village a few times. There aren't any bars aimed specifically at women - a lot of the establishments seem to cater to a certain type of gay man (there's one called "Cockpit" ffs. :sigh:)

Your best bet is probably to sign up to the uni mailing lists to ensure you find out about events that aren't as overtly LGBT. I know at my uni the coffee meets were "in this cafe at this time - there'll be a stuffed Loch Ness Monster on the table" etc. You had no way of finding them if you weren't on the mailing list!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Blackacre
Not sure about "the scene" from a student perspective, but I've walked through the gay village a few times. There aren't any bars aimed specifically at women - a lot of the establishments seem to cater to a certain type of gay man (there's one called "Cockpit" ffs. :sigh:)

Your best bet is probably to sign up to the uni mailing lists to ensure you find out about events that aren't as overtly LGBT. I know at my uni the coffee meets were "in this cafe at this time - there'll be a stuffed Loch Ness Monster on the table" etc. You had no way of finding them if you weren't on the mailing list!

Cockpit !? LMAO :smile:

Thanks anyway - are you at one of the other Leeds unis ?
Original post by emlaar97
Cockpit !? LMAO :smile:

Thanks anyway - are you at one of the other Leeds unis ?

In a manner of speaking - I was at "BPP University" a few years back studying to become a solicitor. :smile:
Excellent LGBT scene at Leeds. Lots of festivals around, great gay bars and the like. 'Tis excellent. :smile:
Reply 5

Wow, a couple of days ago I was thinking about what it would be like to open a gay bar called cockpit. Sadly, I am late. :frown:((
I'll be going to the University of York in September and since that doesn't have much of a scene I'm glad to hear that Leeds has a good one and is close by. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to Leeds from York? Do many students from York go to Leeds for a night out?
Original post by Philippamalko
Unless you know someone from Leeds to stay with it would be an expensive night out. You could get the train to Leeds it'd be a bit over £10 one way to get there, but coming back you're looking at £50+ for a taxi home so there would have to be a couple of you. And drinks are definitely not cheap in a lot of the gay bars in leeds

A lot of people at York have said that they go to Leeds for a night out and I think if you get the train at certain times (around 8 which would be fine for going out) then it's at little as £3. The getting back thing is a problem, guess I would just need to literally party all night long but that doesn't sound like too much of a problem.

The cockpit isn't really a gay bar. There are some great ones in Leeds though.
Original post by Dylank96
A lot of people at York have said that they go to Leeds for a night out and I think if you get the train at certain times (around 8 which would be fine for going out) then it's at little as £3. The getting back thing is a problem, guess I would just need to literally party all night long but that doesn't sound like too much of a problem.

Yh, I know loads of students at York who say they came to Leeds on Friday/Saturday night and that trains around that time were fairly cheap and taxis worth it so long as you have a big group of people going.
"LGBTQ+"? I thought it was "LGBT"? what does the Q and + stand for?
Original post by zippity.doodah
"LGBTQ+"? I thought it was "LGBT"? what does the Q and + stand for?

Q is queer
Some also include A for asexual and I for intersex, + is just others and can mean for gay allies i.e. Cis/Straight people who want to come along
Q is queer
Some also include A for asexual and I for intersex, + is just others and can mean for gay allies i.e. Cis/Straight people who want to come along

I think the "Q" is for questioning, actually.
May check out the scene when I start, although I've always avoided the scene in London so have no idea what do expect :tongue:
I think the "Q" is for questioning, actually.

I think it stands for both but in general I've known more people who relate to it as queer so I guess that's what comes to mind first, just like the T is for transsexual and transgender too
Original post by YellowWallpaper
Yh, I know loads of students at York who say they came to Leeds on Friday/Saturday night and that trains around that time were fairly cheap and taxis worth it so long as you have a big group of people going.

I'm really looking forward to York and love the city but I'm just a bit apprehensive that it'll be boring with bad nightlife. I'm transferring from Newcastle so I've been rather spoiled in the nightlife department. :tongue:
Q is queer

isn't queer just another word for gay though? that's the "g" part of LGBT, right?
Original post by zippity.doodah
isn't queer just another word for gay though? that's the "g" part of LGBT, right?

it can mean gender queer which is "denoting or relating to a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders."
or queer in terms of sexuality can mean you're fluid in your sexuality and don't identify with gay straight or bisexual strictly
(edited 8 years ago)
It was a few years ago, but when I was at Leeds the society was very active and there were loads of good nights about. I doubt it's changed that much.
I'm really looking forward to York and love the city but I'm just a bit apprehensive that it'll be boring with bad nightlife. I'm transferring from Newcastle so I've been rather spoiled in the nightlife department. :tongue:

Yes, it's very small. I've heard there's some fab pubs, but not as many clubs and gigs as there is in places like Leeds and Newcastle.

Quick Reply

Latest