Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is coria that good? i thought it would be closer but it would be a good return if i win, would you place a bet on henman to win?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    is coria that good? i thought it would be closer but it would be a good return if i win, would you place a bet on henman to win?
    coria is hot favourite. he is 1/6 that means if u put £60 on him u would only win £10 whereas if u put £60 on henman u would get £240.
    to be honest i wouldnt put the bet on, but if u have faith in tim and u think he can do it, have a try

ReputationRep:
    erm im not sure im gonna look for some advice, also if i bet that he will win the tournament the odds are 9/1 so i will get £100 back with a £10 bet, not bad eh?

ReputationRep:
    erm im not sure im gonna look for some advice, also if i bet that he will win the tournament the odds are 9/1 so i will get £100 back with a £10 bet, not bad eh?
    its not bad, but can he win the tournament?

ReputationRep:
    maybe if he gets through his match then he will have a good chance in the final, i wont bet to win the tournament though i will just bet for him to win his match tommorow. so what bets will you make? or what bets have you made for up and coming events?

ReputationRep:
    on betfair you can place a bet then lay against the same person at lower odds. If someone accepts you make money if u win the bet and if you loose you don't loose any money.

ReputationRep:
    could you explain that again for me? lay means you bet that the person will lose?

ReputationRep:
    if you lay, basically you are offering odds.
    So if you lay X amount at 4.3 on tim henman and someone takes up the odds then if henman wins you pay them their winnings. If not you get there bet.

So basically if you lay at say 4.1, and bet the same amount u layed at 4.3 then you will win if the bet is positive.

say you did bet and layed £50, and it payed off, you would win £10.
    But if you lost then you wouldnt loose any money.
    The skill is in timing the betting markets (the graphs are very helpful)

ReputationRep:
    its much safer to bet rather than lay?

ReputationRep:
    no, Its much safer to bet and then cover your bet with a lay and guarentee no loss.
    Experiment with laying and betting.

ReputationRep:
    oh really cool, but if everyone did this it would mean everyone would make money and how would betfair make anything?

ReputationRep:
    don't think that's quite right

betfair take a percentage in some way don't they?

you'll need to predict which way the market's going to move to get this right - get it wrong, and you'll lose money just as you do in the stock market

ReputationRep:
    fatboy what you got to say?

ReputationRep:
    anyone else placing a bet for the match?

ReputationRep:
    anyone else placing a bet for the match?
    i'm not, tennis can be very unpredictable.

ReputationRep:
    thats why its good to back henman because he isn't favourite to win

ReputationRep:
    You're likely to get the best odds on betfair, but unlike other sites they take a few percent commission, as it's a betting exchange rather than a bookmakers.

ReputationRep:
    isnt it like 1.5%

ReputationRep:
    Something like that, I can't remember. I've only used them a couple of times.

ReputationRep:
    betfair dont take a comission as far as i know
    dont know how thye make there money

It would be iompossible for everyone to do it as it takes some timing and skill and you have to work it out by maths. If everyone did it it wuould not always be pheasable. In essence i am saying get another person to back your bet.

Won;t be online to answer Q's today james but feel free to add me to msn

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.