Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is it possible to measure the speed of sound by,
    setting up a loudspeaker at a given frequency and aiming the loudspeaker at a smooth aluminium plate, moving the aluminium plate back untill a stationary wave is formed then place a microphone in between the plate and speaker and find the wavelength from the distance between 3 nodes, which are found from minima of the microphone connected to the osciloscope.
    once u have the wavelength u know the frequency from the signal generator connected to the loudspeaker, can u not then use c=f(lambda) to find the speed of sound.
    can this experiment be a ligitimate one for calculating the speed of sound in an experiment.

ReputationRep:
    That seems a bit complicated to me, can't you just use an oscilliscope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    That seems a bit complicated to me, can't you just use an oscilliscope?
    i cant understand how tht will work.
    how do u find the wavelength

ReputationRep:
    that would work fine, just make sure you measure the distance between more than more maxima to make the results more accurate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    that would work fine, just make sure you measure the distance between more than more maxima to make the results more accurate
    wot grade r u on for physics and wot did u get for your modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematician)
    wot grade r u on for physics and wot did u get for your modules?
    i do edexcel physics and im on an A and modules wise i got BAAB so far, with both my b's coming in my january exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    i do edexcel physics and im on an A and modules wise i got BAAB so far, with both my b's coming in my january exams
    im on a B, im on ABBB, with a in phy 2, i resta phy 3 already i rekon i got an a in tht, at the moment im on 76% for physics, im gettin worried tho cos i need an A and i ****ed up tht phy 5 practical, well i say ****ed up but no less than a C

ReputationRep:
    Mathematician's method will work just fine. the formula is L=n(lamba)/2; where L=length, n=number of 1/2 wave-length/number of anti-nodes/ number of nodes-1. remember a node is a satationary point and there are 2 per half-wavelength.
    To use and oscillascope you would be able to see the wave on the CRO, measure the length of the creen and then knwoing what scale the scope was set to do a conversion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Mathematician's method will work just fine. the formula is L=n(lamba)/2; where L=length, n=number of 1/2 wave-length/number of anti-nodes/ number of nodes-1. remember a node is a satationary point and there are 2 per half-wavelength.
    To use and oscillascope you would be able to see the wave on the CRO, measure the length of the creen and then knwoing what scale the scope was set to do a conversion
    oh, cheers m8, i forgot osciloscopes were displcement agst time graphs.
    why in the text book would it mention me to use TWO microphones

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.