v2gls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am thinking of applying for a MSc in November
in UK universities (so i will start my studies at the academic year of 2016-2017), and after that i want to continue my studies to the Phd level. However, i don't want to have a year gap between the degrees.
My concern is how i will manage to suggest a topic which could evolve to a Phd research topic , after a few months of graduate.. (3 or 4 months maybe)
How can i take advantage of the following -free of responsibilities- year , so to be more prepared and informed about this??
For instance, i am thinking of keeping up to date with relevant papers and studying graduate important subjects from the area of maths that i am interested in.
Does that make any sense?? What else can i do??
Any advise could be useful
Thanks in advance
Hjyates
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't have experience with this but going through journals and previous PhD students' work would be a great idea. I don't know if you've ever heard of marked by teachers but there could be something useful on there. Maybe that will give you a sense of what other people were successful in doing their research on. I also imagine that if you were to message a university in regards to some questions for their math PhD students or something like that, that could be quite useful. However I would primarily use the time to focus on your Msc. Hope this helped in some way (:
Ftmshk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You won't need to apply for the PhD until after the first semester of your masters. You will have studied several modules by then, so hopefully you will have some subjects that you are particularly interested in. The high level of research content on a masters will also help you and your tutors decide whether you are suited to PhD study. You could also talk to any of your lecturers/tutors about your ideas. Perhaps they will also be able to suggest suitable subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by v2gls)
I am thinking of applying for a MSc in November
in UK universities (so i will start my studies at the academic year of 2016-2017), and after that i want to continue my studies to the Phd level. However, i don't want to have a year gap between the degrees.
My concern is how i will manage to suggest a topic which could evolve to a Phd research topic , after a few months of graduate.. (3 or 4 months maybe)
How can i take advantage of the following -free of responsibilities- year , so to be more prepared and informed about this??
For instance, i am thinking of keeping up to date with relevant papers and studying graduate important subjects from the area of maths that i am interested in.
Does that make any sense?? What else can i do??
Any advise could be useful
Thanks in advance
Unless you are a genius, the probability of you coming up with a sensible mathematics PhD research topic armed with only an undergraduate degree is essentially zero. Undergraduate mathematics degrees barely cover any mathematics invented after 1920 or so - you are unlikely to have anywhere near the required knowledge of the modern literature. If you are in a field with a low barrier of entry (e.g. some parts of applied mathematics) then it is possible to come up with sensible research questions before starting a PhD, but there is still a big difference between 'solving isolated problems' and "having a coherent plan for a 3 year PhD project".

Apply for a masters, do a project in a field that interests you, and start talking to potential supervisors as soon as possible. Apply for PhD programs during your Masters year, with the aim of starting as soon as you finish. You don't need to have a research proposal at the moment (and you don't need your MSc project to blend perfectly into your PhD research), that isn't how things work.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If possible you may want to consider spending some time in a research environment as as research assistant. This may be paid or unpaid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads