Ketchuplover
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to write a really good dissertation about defamation? Do you think it would be good for me to write one about defamation? Particularly i want it to be about defamation and the freedom of speech and how there is a chilling effect. I also want to include some recent problems arising because everyone on the internet can now say anything and reach a big audience etc.

What would the themes be? What kind of BIIIG punchlines can I add? I reallly want the essay to stand out!

ANY little or big helpful answers are muchly appreciated!
cliffg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Read this:

M Salter & J Mason, Writing law dissertations:an introduction and guide to the conduct of legal research, (Pearson, 2007)

available at all good law libraries.

If you are not already aware of some of the major themes and academic debates surrounding your chosen topic then get reading. Do not look for big punchlines - it's a dissertation not an advertising campaign! Look instead for a well structured, critical analysis of the law (either in black letter or in practice or both) which advances an argument - your hypothesis. Do not treat it as an "essay", albeit one with an extended word count, you'll be engaging in a different process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.62%
Less motivated (186)
68.38%

Watched Threads