The Student Room Group

How many practicals in A Level Chemistry?

There should be 2 right? Unit 3 and Unit 6?
Original post by It's a Classic

I suspect it might be changing if you're starting it next year, though I won't say anything as to not spread misinformation.

You have unit 3 and unit 6 yes. Unit 3 is the one that counts towards your AS grade, based on AS topics, and unit 6 for A2, on A2 (and maybe AS combined) topics.

But for each of those units you have two different practicals that you have to do, the best of which counts towards your overall grade (at least AQA does that anyway).

Those are the practicals that you get examined for - you should have plenty of others to demonstrate stuff you've learned and get some practice in for the real exams.
Original post by It's a Classic

If you are doing Edexcel chemistry then there wont be practicals anymore.
Original post by SeanFM
I suspect it might be changing if you're starting it next year, though I won't say anything as to not spread misinformation.

You have unit 3 and unit 6 yes. Unit 3 is the one that counts towards your AS grade, based on AS topics, and unit 6 for A2, on A2 (and maybe AS combined) topics.

But for each of those units you have two different practicals that you have to do, the best of which counts towards your overall grade (at least AQA does that anyway).

Those are the practicals that you get examined for - you should have plenty of others to demonstrate stuff you've learned and get some practice in for the real exams.

True. If you start the course this September, you have about 12 compulsory practicals per year and you get examined in them amongst the theory based papers (AQA).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prophetkid
True. If you start the course this September, you have about 12 compulsory practicals per year and you get examined in them amongst the theory based papers (AQA).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I believe they're incorporating the experiments into the regular exams somehow...I feel sorry for the prospective year 12s :frown:
Reply 5
The main things to note is that your performance on the practicals won't affect your overall grade. Practical competency is on top of whatever grade you might get, although 15% of the exams you will take will be based on practical skills.

An edexcel webinar thingy:https://edexcel.adobeconnect.com/_a49419191/p4y09fpw41n/

Quick Reply

Latest