The Student Room Group

Best news source

Hi,

I am very interested in business and finance related news, so have always read the Financial Times. However, my busy schedule at university means that I often find it difficult to spend much time reading the news.

I was wondering whether anyone could provide a good source of news which is both brief(-ish) and contains good content.

FOX News
Well, BBC news is great for all categories and they literally do everything on their app, but it can go off on one on a lot of stories. I've noticed that a much more concise app is sky news so I recommend reading the business news on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gman10
Hi,

I am very interested in business and finance related news, so have always read the Financial Times. However, my busy schedule at university means that I often find it difficult to spend much time reading the news.

I was wondering whether anyone could provide a good source of news which is both brief(-ish) and contains good content.

You are more than welcome to visit the LSBF Global Matters Blog :smile:
http://www.lsbf.org.uk/blog

We publish at least one article a day about the main topics in the world of business and finance in the UK and internationally. The good thing is that our articles are long enough for you to get a good grasp of the subject, but short enough for you to read on the go.

Hope you enjoy!

LSBF Team
Original post by localblackguy
FOX News

Fully recommend Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. Their journalistic integrity is beyond reproach /s
Reuters generally has short and simultaneously detailed information. I highly recommend it if you are interested in the Business world (or the economy in general)

As for others, Economist is a good news source but they normally write essays rather than articles and you need a good 10 min to spare. FOX News, Sky and Wall Street Journal also have good business news articles and updates but generally below par compared to the other two mentioned. Depending on if they can be arsed, New York Times, Washington Post and Guardian. DW.DE is also good

I really don't recommend BBC, Russia Today or Al Jazeera. State-news are really terrible on everything apart from social issues. Otherwise you can also read bloggers but good ones are hard to find.

So if you already read financial times then > Reuters > DW.DE > Economist > Sky > WSJ > Blogs > FOX > NYT > Guardian > WP > everything > State-run news

I personally really recommend this if you have "medium" time to go through articles:
http://www.dw.com/en/top-stories/business/s-1431
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Daily Mail pretty much has everything you'd need to know.
Original post by A5ko
Daily Mail pretty much has everything you'd need to know.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by 123Beaverboy
I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Don't you want to know what Kim has been up to since 10 minutes ago?
Quartz for finance-related news. Best website in the world -- it's like a more concise, easy-to-look-at version of Bloomberg.
Bloomberg for video.

FT for print.
CNBC/BB
Farmers Weekly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I flick between the Telegraph, Independent, Guardian, BBC and FWI
Try BBC's World Business Report, daily short programme containing a round up of the day's news.

Economist and Telegraph are probably my best recommendations. Reuters is usually best if all you want is just the data part of the news. It means they're less likely to be biased but personally I like a bit of a narrative.

I would try to read the Guardian a little every now and again to give a perspective which isn't centre-right.
Reply 16
From how many different news sources do people read from? Just the one? Or a few?
Original post by gman10
From how many different news sources do people read from? Just the one? Or a few?

I read Economist to pander to my own views, FT and WSJ for different viewpoints close to mine and I read Guardian and Daily Mail for a good laugh from the lunatic view.

Not to say I read everything. Economist every day, the next two whenever I see something interesting and want a different view and Guardian/DM once a week or when I need to be cheered up.
TMZ is my personal fave.

Quick Reply

Latest