Actaeon
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, NASA have just released the first images of the Pluto system from the successful fly-by...

Mountains on Pluto, but no craters, which the New Horizons team are saying implies Pluto has an active geology - for such a small isolated planet, this is a big surprise.

And the first really high resolution picture of Charon!

Anyone else hugely excited by these images from 3 billion miles away?
LGBTvoice
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am very excited. I'm 16 now and I remember all those years ago when that thing shot off into space. I remember thinking, what will I be doing in 2015? 😂 but no it's really good and certainly worth the wait considering we didn't know what the planet looked like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actaeon
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by 123Beaverboy)
I am very excited. I'm 16 now and I remember all those years ago when that thing shot off into space. I remember thinking, what will I be doing in 2015? 😂 but no it's really good and certainly worth the wait considering we didn't know what the planet looked like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised it's so pinkish/red coloured, but I always imagined it as a grey lump of rock. A second Mars with whales and hearts, it's rather beautiful! It's amazing to think we're getting to experience the last ever 'first' classical planetary fly-by too.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Space is wondrous and brilliant. The atmosphere producing red was a surprise.
LGBTvoice
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It all just goes over my head and messes with my mind. Knowing how big our solar system is, then lots of these solar systems make up our galaxy. And then there are billions of other galaxies with the same setup. It's just so fascinating!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lustawny
Badges: 6
Report 5 years ago
It's all jolly exciting, isn't it?
caravaggio2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wonderful time to be alive and in to astronomy and space exploration in general.
Glad the team chose their shirts carefully to avoid a twatter storm.😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (133)
36.84%
Take autumn exams (113)
31.3%
Look for a job (11)
3.05%
Consider an apprenticeship (16)
4.43%
Take a year out (66)
18.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
6.09%

Watched Threads