Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

*official Aqa As Eng Lit In 3/4 Days Thread!* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So wat texts is eveyone doin?? am doin handmaid's t, the miller's tale and the glass menage. Handmaid is so scary. Serena Joy is bound to come up!! or else hist notes...

ReputationRep:
    I did handmaid's tale last year and actually really enjoyed it! if you need any help/advice on pm me and il try and help

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting Unit Three and doing Dr. Faustus and the Whitsun Weddings

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    yeah im doing the Miller's tale and The Glass Menagerie

what questions you reckon will come up for the glass menagerie?

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing millers's tale, glass menagerie and enduring love

i think for the glass menagerie

a question may come up relating to laura cause there hasn't been one yet
    maybe about escape??

what do you think??

Do you know what the January 2004 questions were

i have Q8

Remind yourself of scene 1 of the glass menagerie

to what extent do you agree with the view that, in terms of subject matter and style, this scene is an effective introduction to the play

ReputationRep:
    what questions do you think will come up for the millers tale?

also any examples of satire in millers tale and what it means? cause i have read that it is a big part of the tale but have never been taught what it is

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing Streetcar on here? i need help with it please! or waterland (graham swift) for that matter

(Original post by priya)
    anyone doing Streetcar on here? i need help with it please! or waterland (graham swift) for that matter
    anything else that you want help with for streetcar?

and for streetcar i would appreciate any advice and help on critical interpretation from anyone as its the area that i am getting stuck on really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    what questions do you think will come up for the millers tale?

also any examples of satire in millers tale and what it means? cause i have read that it is a big part of the tale but have never been taught what it is
    I have a STRONG inclination that a question on Alisoun will be commin up. Perhaps an extract from her portrait etc...

ReputationRep:
    dunno if i can help u with critical interpretation i'm afriad...it's not assessed in our exam so we didn't do much on it...
    here are a few things we got off a radio 4 prog though....

kenneth times........great characters are created when they're pushed to desparation....all streetcar characs are in this position at some point

Martin Shaw - stanley's physical prescence contrasts well with Blanche's vulnerability

Stanley doesn't actually lash out all the time...he holds back a lot....just standing there can be very disconcerting, which he realises....his power is in his physical prescence (in the kazan version Brando beefs up his arms to show this)

the cruellest thing that Stanley does is tell Mitch about Blanche- thus robbing them both of happiness, though it may have been fantasy

the ultimate tragedy is that when Blanche does tell the truth (her rape...to Stella) she isn't believed, or at least isn't taken seriously...Stella dismisses it

Michael Billington..... Blanche can't forgive Stella for complying with the new 'bestial' generation that is emerging....she does this because without Stella's support she has nothing/no one left to relate to, therefore is holding onto whatever she can

Blanche's preoccupation with desire is a certain brand of madness.....its ungovernable....if you try to repress it you drive yourself further into madness...something we can't win against...we all have it within us

Blanche is a great survivor....she perseveres even though she knows she won't emerge triumphant

Tennessee represents Blanche in that they both have a dividing line in them....Blanche was divided between mind and body/sensitivity and sexuality, whereas Tennessee was torn between poetry passion and sensitivity, and was of course quite ambivalent about his sexuality

hope that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    or waterland (graham swift) for that matter
    This website is excellent but mostly beyond AS: http://www.postcolonialweb.org/uk/gswift/wl/wlov.html.

What do you especially need help with? I can help.

(Original post by priya)
    dunno if i can help u with critical interpretation i'm afriad...it's not assessed in our exam so we didn't do much on it...
    here are a few things we got off a radio 4 prog though....

kenneth times........great characters are created when they're pushed to desparation....all streetcar characs are in this position at some point

Martin Shaw - stanley's physical prescence contrasts well with Blanche's vulnerability

Stanley doesn't actually lash out all the time...he holds back a lot....just standing there can be very disconcerting, which he realises....his power is in his physical prescence (in the kazan version Brando beefs up his arms to show this)

the cruellest thing that Stanley does is tell Mitch about Blanche- thus robbing them both of happiness, though it may have been fantasy

the ultimate tragedy is that when Blanche does tell the truth (her rape...to Stella) she isn't believed, or at least isn't taken seriously...Stella dismisses it

Michael Billington..... Blanche can't forgive Stella for complying with the new 'bestial' generation that is emerging....she does this because without Stella's support she has nothing/no one left to relate to, therefore is holding onto whatever she can

Blanche's preoccupation with desire is a certain brand of madness.....its ungovernable....if you try to repress it you drive yourself further into madness...something we can't win against...we all have it within us

Blanche is a great survivor....she perseveres even though she knows she won't emerge triumphant

Tennessee represents Blanche in that they both have a dividing line in them....Blanche was divided between mind and body/sensitivity and sexuality, whereas Tennessee was torn between poetry passion and sensitivity, and was of course quite ambivalent about his sexuality

hope that helps?
    thanks that is great..i did listen to that radio for programme but my notes are all over the place and i really havnt got time to read through all of the articles and critical reviews i was given-there are just millions of them.. but if i don't put some in then apparently i won't get more than a C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    I'm doing Waterland, lol. That book is so crap!
    The best revision site I have found is http://www.hewett.norfolk.sch.uk/cur...iguro/wlov.htm

hope it helps

I'm also doing:
    *Poetry- John Donne
    *Play- Amadeus by Peter Shaffer (anyobe got any good revision sites for that!?!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    I'm doing Waterland, lol. That book is so crap!
    The best revision site I have found is http://www.hewett.norfolk.sch.uk/cur...iguro/wlov.htm

hope it helps

I'm also doing:
    *Poetry- John Donne
    *Play- Amadeus by Peter Shaffer (anyobe got any good revision sites for that!?!)

yey! someone else doing john Donne!! i can't believe we don't get a choice on question i'm actually kinda comfortable with him on the whole...*she says* but i dunno how well i'll remember the quotes, and/or remember the relevant ideas!

(Original post by priya)
    yey! someone else doing john Donne!! i can't believe we don't get a choice on question i'm actually kinda comfortable with him on the whole...*she says* but i dunno how well i'll remember the quotes, and/or remember the relevant ideas!
    yeh i know what you mean, john donne is the section im probably most happy with-atleast you get the poem on the question paper, i find looking at it helps me remember things to write and then for the other poems my mind has built up key things to say on some of the poems. i think it is doing every single past question going that has helped!

ReputationRep:
    i'm re-doing it for the 3rd time - i got a high B on both previous attempts, i need to get an A - i thikn i got around 78/105

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    thanks that is great..i did listen to that radio for programme but my notes are all over the place and i really havnt got time to read through all of the articles and critical reviews i was given-there are just millions of them.. but if i don't put some in then apparently i won't get more than a C
    Hmmm... I don't think I do your syllabus, but I think you should have a look to check if that's true because that sounds dodgy. I got AAB on my modules for AS English and I didn't even read some of the books properly, let alone any critical crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    i'm re-doing it for the 3rd time - i got a high B on both previous attempts, i need to get an A - i thikn i got around 78/105
    Nice to see that I'm not the only one doing an exam for the third time.. I got a high B the first time (one mark off an A), then didn't revise for my resit and got a C. Oops. I'm just doing it to hopefully push up the UMS and give me a better chance in case I mess up on any of my A2 exams!

(Original post by F. Poste)
    Hmmm... I don't think I do your syllabus, but I think you should have a look to check if that's true because that sounds dodgy. I got AAB on my modules for AS English and I didn't even read some of the books properly, let alone any critical crap.
    i dunno..i kept getting essays back from my teacher saying that critical interpretation was one of the main AO's for the drama section so i needed to make sure that i included plenty otherwise my grades would fall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Nice to see that I'm not the only one doing an exam for the third time.. I got a high B the first time (one mark off an A), then didn't revise for my resit and got a C. Oops. I'm just doing it to hopefully push up the UMS and give me a better chance in case I mess up on any of my A2 exams!

hheheheh poor us eh?! have you revised for this next one? i've not really, i'll start tonight

i got the exact same amount points in both attempts hehe

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.