please can someone tell me how i to choose what to do in life

Watch
EmergencyBagels
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi i know no one can like read my mind and tell me or whatever but please i really either want advice or for people to tell me how they themselves decided what they wanted to pursue in life so if anyone could respond thatd be great

ive tried going to my schools career councillor, i have an account in preety much every career advice site, ive done quizzes, im probably made a few of these threads before
but im still so clueless

if anyone has any suggestions i guess i should say stuff about me?

education
i had p good gcses which kind of allowed me to do whatever, but after that i chose to do english maths and classics A level (results pending but all A's at AS), and history AS (b)
my feelings about this stuff have been complex. i always thought english was my best and favourite subject and i guess it kind of was/is. but over A levle i think ive kind of preferred maths? i cant tell whether its cold feet but i really have enjoyed maths and have dreaded doing english revision and homework in comparison. that said i never even considered studying maths further because i was so sure i would flop. that said i felt the same when i chose to do it for a level but it had my best AS marks so hmm

i did my work experience at a community art centre. the art stuff was nice but i didnt like the rest of the situation. in year 12 i tried a few things - went to some classics talks, but then decided on english lit kind of without too much thought. i dont know whether this is good or bad. but then i entered a cambridge essay competition for it and was highly commended and got into the oxford summer school for english so it kind of seemed like it was set in stone and would be crazy to do anything else?

what i like:
not much these days. im feeling very dejected so its hard to really think what might make me feel excited and happy
some things i think i like are:
drawing/playing guitar/creative stuff
animals
reading sometimes
out of my school work i kind of enjoyed maths most. ive not really read any kind of scientific or mathematical books for fun though so i cant comment on how far my enjoyment reaches outside the classroom.
helping people
sometimes i quite like arguing my opinion/reading about current affairs

what im good at
im decent at essays and apparently from my stuff at like year 9 was quite good at creative writing but that too i havent done for fun much either sooo
p good at maths
i can draw ok but would like to be better
im a bit of a jack of all trades
a little bit musical

sooooo im just wondering what to do because it makes sense for me to do english but actually really havent enjoyed it this year. also!! whenever i say im worried about choosing english lit people always assume im worried about jobs and they say 'oh dont worry you can get a job with english' and i know that! ive got an offer from exeter which is a decent uni with p good employment stats but none of the jobs actually appeal to me!

a couple of jobs in the past ive kind of liked the sound of are very random like paleontology/archaeology, vet sciences, maybe some kind of animation/design? all irrelivent to english lit you can see. ive also kind of liked the sound of writing/journalism at some point but i just cant imagine it
uughghh
i know people have better things to do that try and sort out my future but i really dont know what else to do ive got a firm and insurance place for english and if that is my calling i dont want to throw it away, but i dont want to keep doing with it if im wrong.
RiahDawson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EmergencyBagels)
hi i know no one can like read my mind and tell me or whatever but please i really either want advice or for people to tell me how they themselves decided what they wanted to pursue in life so if anyone could respond thatd be great

ive tried going to my schools career councillor, i have an account in preety much every career advice site, ive done quizzes, im probably made a few of these threads before
but im still so clueless

if anyone has any suggestions i guess i should say stuff about me?

education
i had p good gcses which kind of allowed me to do whatever, but after that i chose to do english maths and classics A level (results pending but all A's at AS), and history AS (b)
my feelings about this stuff have been complex. i always thought english was my best and favourite subject and i guess it kind of was/is. but over A levle i think ive kind of preferred maths? i cant tell whether its cold feet but i really have enjoyed maths and have dreaded doing english revision and homework in comparison. that said i never even considered studying maths further because i was so sure i would flop. that said i felt the same when i chose to do it for a level but it had my best AS marks so hmm

i did my work experience at a community art centre. the art stuff was nice but i didnt like the rest of the situation. in year 12 i tried a few things - went to some classics talks, but then decided on english lit kind of without too much thought. i dont know whether this is good or bad. but then i entered a cambridge essay competition for it and was highly commended and got into the oxford summer school for english so it kind of seemed like it was set in stone and would be crazy to do anything else?

what i like:
not much these days. im feeling very dejected so its hard to really think what might make me feel excited and happy
some things i think i like are:
drawing/playing guitar/creative stuff
animals
reading sometimes
out of my school work i kind of enjoyed maths most. ive not really read any kind of scientific or mathematical books for fun though so i cant comment on how far my enjoyment reaches outside the classroom.
helping people
sometimes i quite like arguing my opinion/reading about current affairs

what im good at
im decent at essays and apparently from my stuff at like year 9 was quite good at creative writing but that too i havent done for fun much either sooo
p good at maths
i can draw ok but would like to be better
im a bit of a jack of all trades
a little bit musical

sooooo im just wondering what to do because it makes sense for me to do english but actually really havent enjoyed it this year. also!! whenever i say im worried about choosing english lit people always assume im worried about jobs and they say 'oh dont worry you can get a job with english' and i know that! ive got an offer from exeter which is a decent uni with p good employment stats but none of the jobs actually appeal to me!

a couple of jobs in the past ive kind of liked the sound of are very random like paleontology/archaeology, vet sciences, maybe some kind of animation/design? all irrelivent to english lit you can see. ive also kind of liked the sound of writing/journalism at some point but i just cant imagine it
uughghh
i know people have better things to do that try and sort out my future but i really dont know what else to do ive got a firm and insurance place for english and if that is my calling i dont want to throw it away, but i dont want to keep doing with it if im wrong.
Maybe you didn't enjoy English because of the teacher? Your class? I've had that relationship with English, one year I hate it another I love it, all down to the teachers. I do think you should stick with English. (Taking maths would seem a bit random). Though it's possible to do maths. I would keep doing English especially as you're good at it. If you decide you don't want to do it later to you could try something new. You're not tied down to one subject after all.
Killa Kam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you like being creative why not do something creative that can earn you money like programing, including web development, game developmed etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Queen J
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
your underlying love seems to be English so I would stick with that, especially as you have an offer from Exeter! At university, sometimes you're able to choose modules so perhaps you can use this as a chance to explore other ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads