The Student Room Group

Where to study social work?

I'd like to gain a social work degree, I'll be applying for university later on this year but really don't know what universities would be best to study Social work at. Any ideas???? Please
Reply 1
Hi,

That's a very broad question, and only you will really know what you're looking for from a University institution. :smile:

A good starting point may be looking at the Guardian league tables, which you can access here: http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016#S060

These give a good indicator of course/teaching satisfaction, as well as the success that previous applicants have had achieving employment since graduating. However, there are so many factors beyond this, that only you can really decide what is most important for you. For example, if you have financial constraints that will impact you, perhaps a starting point would be looking at universities in your local area to save on accommodation. Additionally, bursary numbers by the NHS are limited, therefore you might want to consider which universities have the most bursaries available, compared to those which have less.

Another factor to consider will be the availability of placements in the local area, particularly statutory opportunities. An area such as Merseyside, for example, has opportunities being sought by Liverpool Hope, Edge Hill, Liverpool JMU, Liverpool Community College, and Chester Uni. As a result, local authority placements within Merseyside boroughs are very competitive. In comparison, other universities may not have as many local 'rivals', so there'll be less competition.

Overall, it's up to you to create a shortlist and ultimately narrow it down. I would recommend spending this summer creating a possible list, visiting institutions during open days, getting ideas about their bursaries, local authority placements, other local institutes etc, and generally just see what options feel right for you. I genuinely don't know what university is most suitable for you, and I'd be doing a disservice to you if I tried speculating. However, the above league tables, combined with appropriate reflections on what learning factors are important to you, should help you.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest