The Student Room Group

What moral philosophy do you subscribe to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTruthTeller
An eye for an eye can be seen as justice and revenge at the same time.

'Can be seen as' isn't the same as 'is'. I've yet to see a remotely convincing argument that this is true.

I mean, it's absurd on its face. The crime is that suffering has been increased, and the 'just' solution is to increase suffering further? It's nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Implication
'Can be seen as' isn't the same as 'is'. I've yet to see a remotely convincing argument that this is true.

I mean, it's absurd on its face. The crime is that suffering has been increased, and the 'just' solution is to increase suffering further? It's nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crimes have a victim and an aggressor. The aggressor is the wrong doer and must do everything he can to compensate his victim.

Physical punishment is the threat if he refuses to make amends for his wrongdoing.
Nietzscheanism.
Original post by Falcatas
Crimes have a victim and an aggressor. The aggressor is the wrong doer and must do everything he can to compensate his victim.

Physical punishment is the threat if he refuses to make amends for his wrongdoing.

That's not really an argument though, it's just stating the conclusion isn't it? Punishment as a deterrent is one thing (where it works), but punishment just because we think someone 'deserves' it is very different and I just don't see why anyone seriously thinks it is appropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not really an argument though, it's just stating the conclusion isn't it? Punishment as a deterrent is one thing (where it works), but punishment just because we think someone 'deserves' it is very different and I just don't see why anyone seriously thinks it is appropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be up to the victim. If they feel better punishing their aggressor then so be it.

I'd sure most would rather get monetary compensation though, the threat to exert physical punishment is required however.
It should be up to the victim. If they feel better punishing their aggressor then so be it.

Why?

the threat to exert physical punishment is required however.

Why? Required for what?
Reply 26
There would be nothing wrong using violence to defend against aggressors or to punish people for crimes.

An aggressor has the obligation to by the very least make amends (if possible) for the wrongdoing. It is morally permissible to force them against their will to make amends for their evil aggressive actions.

On what basis is it morally permissible? Why does an aggressor have the obligation to make amends for a "wrongdoing"?

And, would driving be morally permissible? After all, it causes pollution and is therefore an act of aggression.

Original post by quentinhamilton
kantianism

So you believe that lying is always morally wrong? If someone was hiding a political dissident in their house in the Soviet Union, and one of Stalin's men came to the house and asked them whether they were hiding them, would it be wrong to lie if the dissident was to be shot?
Why?

Why? Required for what?

The aggressor has violated the victim's property and so must compensate as much as possible to undo any wrong done. Of course this can't always be done.

Well maybe it doesn't have to physical but some cases could be. A murderer technically should owe his life to the victims and if he refuses to cooperate physical force is the only real alternative.
The aggressor has violated the victim's property and so must compensate as much as possible to undo any wrong done. Of course this can't always be done.

Well maybe it doesn't have to physical but some cases could be. A murderer technically should owe his life to the victims and if he refuses to cooperate physical force is the only real alternative.

But why? One person dies so technically another one should as well?
But why? One person dies so technically another one should as well?

Well forced servitude would be more productive. It is possible that the victims would prefer to kill the murderer for revenge. I doubt it though.

The murderer can barter for his life and agree to give all his money in order to keep his life.

Killing a murderer is not morally equivalent to killing an innocent person.
Well forced servitude would be more productive. It is possible that the victims would prefer to kill the murderer for revenge. I doubt it though.

The murderer can barter for his life and agree to give all his money in order to keep his life.

Killing a murderer is not morally equivalent to killing an innocent person.

But you still haven't explained why the murderer deserves to take any punishment in the first place.

Also, somewhat incidentally, arguing that killing a murderer is less/more moral than killing an "innocent" person is nontrivial...
But you still haven't explained why the murderer deserves to take any punishment in the first place.

Also, somewhat incidentally, arguing that killing a murderer is less/more moral than killing an "innocent" person is nontrivial...

Because he has done evil against a victim. He cannot logically and consistently object to violence because his acts have violated his own beliefs.

Maybe the victims might just forgive the murderer. I doubt it though.
Reply 32
Moral relativism
Because he has done evil against a victim. He cannot logically and consistently object to violence because his acts have violated his own beliefs.

Well he can still object to violence, either by pleading a special case for himself or his victim or by admitting it was wrong of him to commit his crime.

But even if he doesn't object to violence, it still doesn't follow that it's moral to punish him.
Well he can still object to violence, either by pleading a special case for himself or his victim or by admitting it was wrong of him to commit his crime.

But even if he doesn't object to violence, it still doesn't follow that it's moral to punish him.

Yes but apologising possibly isn't enough. It might not be moral ie good, but it is at least morally permissible. Another example is self defence not good per se but morally permissible.

If he apologises and the victim forgives then so be it.
Original post by viddy9

So you believe that lying is always morally wrong? If someone was hiding a political dissident in their house in the Soviet Union, and one of Stalin's men came to the house and asked them whether they were hiding them, would it be wrong to lie if the dissident was to be shot?

I believe we require deontological rules to control society to prevent the justifying of wrong actions- the most realistic philosophy for a well functioning and harmonious society.
However, in that scenario I'd certainly lie :wink:
Reply 36
I believe we require deontological rules to control society to prevent the justifying of wrong actions- the most realistic philosophy for a well functioning and harmonious society.
However, in that scenario I'd certainly lie :wink:

So, your morality isn't Kantian, but you prescribe Kantian rules for society.

However, your justification for both deontological societal rules, as well as your response to the thought-experiment, suggests that you subscribe to two-level utilitarianism. At the very least, you're a two-level consequentialist.

Individually, I believe that we should be utilitarians, thus we should lie in the thought-experiment. However, there are good utilitarian reasons for the state to enforce deontological rules and punish individual utilitarians (i.e. if they pushed a fat man off a bridge to save five people from being killed by a trolley car.)

So, I broadly agree.
kantianism

Kantian Ethics are the way :hugs:
Original post by viddy9
So, your morality isn't Kantian, but you prescribe Kantian rules for society.

However, your justification for both deontological societal rules, as well as your response to the thought-experiment, suggests that you subscribe to two-level utilitarianism. At the very least, you're a two-level consequentialist.

Individually, I believe that we should be utilitarians, thus we should lie in the thought-experiment. However, there are good utilitarian reasons for the state to enforce deontological rules and punish individual utilitarians (i.e. if they pushed a fat man off a bridge to save five people from being killed by a trolley car.)

So, I broadly agree.

Yes, I believe kantianism is the most realistic/universal branch of philosophy (if we lived in an 'ideal' world) however, rules which can be broken due to the consequences of the action rather than the intrinsic action is pragmatic.
I believe kantianism sets up a good moral frame work but the fact that it does not take into account wider consequences makes it 'unsustainable' if that makes sence to follow as users have pointed out in certain scenarios such as lying to prevent many dying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending