Five reasons females should take Self Defence lessons Watch

CRDT
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The very fact that this article, 5 reasons for women to take a self defence course, has to be written speaks volumes about the collective female psyche of today. As a group, we continue to deny the need for our own self protection, relying instead on arguments that the law, our spouse, brother, father, etc, should be protecting us. The statistical reality is that the ones we expect to protect us are the majority of the ones committing the crimes. But the reality is, if we expect things to change, than we need to be the principal architects in effectuating that change.So let's sum up the basic 5 reasons why EVERY female should be taking some type of women's Self Defence course to ensure her own safety.1) Crime can happen to anyone at anytime. Whether you want to live in your fantasy world or not, that is the harsh reality. At some point in your life as a woman you will flash across a predator's (mainly male) radar as prey. You will be attacked. You will be alone and you will be vulnerable. And most likely, it will come from the one you least expected. The next question, what will you do?2) Be the role model for the next generation. We tell our daughters they can be anything they want. How about safe? How do we show them how to protect themselves against rape, incest, assault, domestic violence, etc, if we don't set the example of being strong and standing up for ourselves by being able to defend ourselves - emotionally, verbally, physically and spiritually? If we continue to move in silence about the things that happen to us (rape, assault, emotional battering, and domestic violence) how are we going to help our daughters become stronger and show our sons what is and is not acceptable behaviour from a male?3) Become Empowered. I have watched countless women come into my classes as sheep and walk out as determined, strong, empowered women ready to take control of their own lives. A self defence course can't empower you; but it can educate you in showing you the options that you have to take control of your life and feel safer in your world.4) This is true LIFE Insurance. We spend money to ensure our cars, our life, phones, travel insurance, our homes, etc., but yet we hesitate when spending money on a self defence class that can truly SAVE our lives. Women's self defence classes have an incredible positive impact on their participants and greatly change lives for the better. Self defence classes provide you with real insurance to protect your life.5) Do it for those who count on you. If you won't do it for yourself and the top 4 reasons, how about for those who count on you the most - your kids, spouse, parents, siblings, etc? What happens if you are now dead or incapacitated because of a crime? Who takes care of those that you took care of? Take the time to take care of yourself and empower your life by taking a women's self defence class. You just might surprise yourself with what you are capable of doing.
Need2Study4Exam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CRDT)
The very fact that this article, 5 reasons for women to take a self defence course, has to be written speaks volumes about the collective female psyche of today. As a group, we continue to deny the need for our own self protection, relying instead on arguments that the law, our spouse, brother, father, etc, should be protecting us. The statistical reality is that the ones we expect to protect us are the majority of the ones committing the crimes. But the reality is, if we expect things to change, than we need to be the principal architects in effectuating that change.So let's sum up the basic 5 reasons why EVERY female should be taking some type of women's Self Defence course to ensure her own safety.1) Crime can happen to anyone at anytime. Whether you want to live in your fantasy world or not, that is the harsh reality. At some point in your life as a woman you will flash across a predator's (mainly male) radar as prey. You will be attacked. You will be alone and you will be vulnerable. And most likely, it will come from the one you least expected. The next question, what will you do?2) Be the role model for the next generation. We tell our daughters they can be anything they want. How about safe? How do we show them how to protect themselves against rape, incest, assault, domestic violence, etc, if we don't set the example of being strong and standing up for ourselves by being able to defend ourselves - emotionally, verbally, physically and spiritually? If we continue to move in silence about the things that happen to us (rape, assault, emotional battering, and domestic violence) how are we going to help our daughters become stronger and show our sons what is and is not acceptable behaviour from a male?3) Become Empowered. I have watched countless women come into my classes as sheep and walk out as determined, strong, empowered women ready to take control of their own lives. A self defence course can't empower you; but it can educate you in showing you the options that you have to take control of your life and feel safer in your world.4) This is true LIFE Insurance. We spend money to ensure our cars, our life, phones, travel insurance, our homes, etc., but yet we hesitate when spending money on a self defence class that can truly SAVE our lives. Women's self defence classes have an incredible positive impact on their participants and greatly change lives for the better. Self defence classes provide you with real insurance to protect your life.5) Do it for those who count on you. If you won't do it for yourself and the top 4 reasons, how about for those who count on you the most - your kids, spouse, parents, siblings, etc? What happens if you are now dead or incapacitated because of a crime? Who takes care of those that you took care of? Take the time to take care of yourself and empower your life by taking a women's self defence class. You just might surprise yourself with what you are capable of doing.
didn't read
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CRDT)
The very fact that this article, 5 reasons for women to take a self defence course, has to be written speaks volumes about the collective female psyche of today. As a group, we continue to deny the need for our own self protection, relying instead on arguments that the law, our spouse, brother, father, etc, should be protecting us. The statistical reality is that the ones we expect to protect us are the majority of the ones committing the crimes. But the reality is, if we expect things to change, than we need to be the principal architects in effectuating that change.

So let's sum up the basic 5 reasons why EVERY female should be taking some type of women's Self Defence course to ensure her own safety.1) Crime can happen to anyone at anytime. Whether you want to live in your fantasy world or not, that is the harsh reality. At some point in your life as a woman you will flash across a predator's (mainly male) radar as prey. You will be attacked. You will be alone and you will be vulnerable. And most likely, it will come from the one you least expected.

The next question, what will you do?2) Be the role model for the next generation. We tell our daughters they can be anything they want. How about safe? How do we show them how to protect themselves against rape, incest, assault, domestic violence, etc, if we don't set the example of being strong and standing up for ourselves by being able to defend ourselves - emotionally, verbally, physically and spiritually? If we continue to move in silence about the things that happen to us (rape, assault, emotional battering, and domestic violence) how are we going to help our daughters become stronger and show our sons what is and is not acceptable behaviour from a male?

3) Become Empowered. I have watched countless women come into my classes as sheep and walk out as determined, strong, empowered women ready to take control of their own lives. A self defence course can't empower you; but it can educate you in showing you the options that you have to take control of your life and feel safer in your world.

4) This is true LIFE Insurance. We spend money to ensure our cars, our life, phones, travel insurance, our homes, etc., but yet we hesitate when spending money on a self defence class that can truly SAVE our lives. Women's self defence classes have an incredible positive impact on their participants and greatly change lives for the better. Self defence classes provide you with real insurance to protect your life.

5) Do it for those who count on you. If you won't do it for yourself and the top 4 reasons, how about for those who count on you the most - your kids, spouse, parents, siblings, etc? What happens if you are now dead or incapacitated because of a crime? Who takes care of those that you took care of?

Take the time to take care of yourself and empower your life by taking a women's self defence class. You just might surprise yourself with what you are capable of doing.
space it out like that mate.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
tl;dr

But yes self defence classes could be a good thing in case they bump into a weirdo like you.
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Man.bear.pig)
K. I read.

So all in all you're saying that because women can't fight, they're getting raped ...as they inevitably will anyway? Regardless of whether they can fight or not.

And once a woman learns martial arts will she not get raped? Will being an inevitable victim of rape be any funner, safer, easier...?

K.
I think one major benefit is the confidence that you will get purely from knowing that you are not absolutely defenceless and that you can immediately smash the back of a male 4 stone heavier than you onto the floor after touching him within 6 or seconds.

Those who are the most vulnerable tend to look the most vulnerable and we know that's who gets targetted for mugging/rapes and the like.
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
K. I read.

So all in all you're saying that because women can't fight, they're getting raped ...as they inevitably will anyway?

As you said:

"At some point in your life as a woman you will flash across a predator's (mainly male) radar as prey. You will be attacked. You will be alone and you will be vulnerable. And most likely, it will come from the one you least expected."

Regardless of whether they can fight or not.

And once a woman learns martial arts will she not get raped? Will being an inevitable victim of rape be any funner, safer, easier...?

K.
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TorpidPhil)
I think one major benefit is the confidence that you will get purely from knowing that you are not absolutely defenceless and that you can immediately smash the back of a male 4 stone heavier than you onto the floor after touching him within 6 or seconds.

Those who are the most vulnerable tend to look the most vulnerable and we know that's who gets targetted for mugging/rapes and the like.
you came too quick, I reposted an edited post lol

When you learn martial arts and can do that it's normally after a few years of consistent training. What about in the meantime. It's not a magical cure for rape lol And it's fair to say that martial arts can't defeat a gun or a madman on drugs.

And what about date rape?
That's the most recurrent type of rape, next to statutory. Which in some cases is voluntary like 15 yr old girl with 19 yr old guy, it happens a lot. Of course not voluntary being like 5 or something *gets sick*

But yea what about date rape. Can she roundhouse kick him to the head drugged and tied up?

I think the best counter to rape in society would be laws, because it's human nature to rape. I can fight and I still should look over my shoulder for anyone who has a problem. Being able to fight doesn't do anything.

Also self defense experts advise to deescalate the situation by not fighting but by understanding what scares people like chokeholds and pins.
A5ko
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Forget martial arts, consider sharpened edges on credit cards as weapons instead.
Raven of the Sun
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CRDT)
SexiestNameEver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Man.bear.pig)
you came too quick, I reposted an edited post lol

When you learn martial arts and can do that it's normally after a few years of consistent training. What about in the meantime. It's not a magical cure for rape lol And it's fair to say that martial arts can't defeat a gun or a madman on drugs.

And what about date rape?
That's the most recurrent type of rape, next to statutory. Which in some cases is voluntary like 15 yr old girl with 19 yr old guy, it happens a lot. Of course not voluntary being like 5 or something *gets sick*

But yea what about date rape. Can she roundhouse kick him to the head drugged and tied up?

I think the best counter to rape in society would be laws, because it's human nature to rape. I can fight and I still should look over my shoulder for anyone who has a problem. Being able to fight doesn't do anything.

Also self defense experts advise to deescalate the situation by not fighting but by understanding what scares people like chokeholds and pins.
something only a rapist or a supporter of rape would say
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TorpidPhil)

what did you disagree with?
because you're never quiet

(Original post by SexiestNameEver)
something only a rapist or a supporter of rape would say
lol please. so then where does the tendency to rape come from? I didn't mean it's a common trait for people so to legitimize rape ; I said it's human nature as in if someone is going to rape, it's their personal flawed trait; thus martial arts can't prevent rape. Being able to backflip and break bricks doesn't stop rape because it's in that person to do so for whatever reason. So there has to be another answer.
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If something is human nature it's natural for all humans.

Personally I don't have some instinctual need to rape that I'm holding back. Am I not human?
Raven of the Sun
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by there's too much love)
If something is human nature it's natural for all humans.
no
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Raven of the Sun)
no
Oh well in that case all human behavior is 'human nature' and the meaning of the term is utterly empty.

Which is it?
Raven of the Sun
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh well in that case all human behavior is 'human nature' and the meaning of the term is utterly empty.

Which is it?
It's natural for most humans
Just because 0.01% of the population fails to have that trait doesnt mean it is not human nature
Most young adult human males with enough testosterone are driven by sex. And rape falls under that category.
Thatotherone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although I agree with general notion of learning some form form a self defence I do find a few issues. For one, it shouldnt be limited to women, men are actually more likely to be victims of violent crime with reports of domestic abuse on men rising every year, men on a night out are more likely to targete in a violent attack, not necessarly sexualy motivated but things like muggings or just some idiot spoiling for a brawl. If we're talking about protecting future generations against a culture of random or targeted violence it should be for eveyone not just women, personally I'd want my son as secure on a night out as my daughter.

Secondly though it's important to make people aware of the very real risk of being a victim of crime and the steps they can take to defend themselves it's important not to create a culture of fear, I disagree with your premise that all women will be a victim of a violent crime in the statement "you will be attacked". This attitude isn't helpful to women or men seeking to become more savvy in self safety.

Finally though I agree self defence is an import skill, it's something my dad insisted on both myself (a girl) my sister and brother learning from the age of 10, perhaps an even more import lesson that can be taught than one of how to fend of a physical attack is the steps that can be taken, by a girl or boy, to make yourself less of a target, i.e dont travel home alone, dont get into un-licensed cabs always tell someone where you are going, dont walk around with two headphones in etc. It's obviously not full proof and plenty of people are sensible but stil are unfortunate victims but there are a huge ammount of people who make frankly dangerous decisions completely un aware that they are doing it. If they were educated on the issues they could avoid the situation entirely. Self defence is a great tool for men and women, it's one that was taught at my school and one I learned privately but it isn't the only element of self safety and it certainly shouldn't be advocated soley to women. and interesting concept though.

that's my essay in response to an essay
TL;DR agree on some level but find flaws in general attitude to atmosphere of threat
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Raven of the Sun)
It's natural for most humans
Just because 0.01% of the population fails to have that trait doesnt mean it is not human nature
Most young adult human males with enough testosterone are driven by sex. And rape falls under that category.
The **** did I just read?
You think that 0.01% of the population don't like or have urges to rape and the rest do?

Please, enlighten us with your evidence.
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Self defence classes for a women are pretty much a con because most people who assault women are drunk and probably much stronger than the women. However, they can help against females such as Jodie McMahon.
Raven of the Sun
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The **** did I just read?
You think that 0.01% of the population don't like or have urges have sex and the rest do?

Please, enlighten us with your evidence.
Ftfy. That is human nature, and rape is a subcategory of it.
Pugglet
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
Self defence classes for a women are pretty much a con because most people who assault women are drunk and probably much stronger than the women. However, they can help against females such as Jodie McMahon.
Tbh I have to disagree with you on that. An opponents strength can easily be used against them if you know the right technique or just use it to get them off balance before getting away from the situation as fast as you can. Knowing a few techniques or pointers is so important and it could quite possibly save their lives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How old were you when you first saw porn?

I've never seen it (129)
20.91%
Before I was 12 (212)
34.36%
13 (94)
15.24%
14 (73)
11.83%
15 (41)
6.65%
16 (19)
3.08%