The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2 Heinmann Textbook

Is it just me, or does the Edexcel M2 book have tons of mistakes? Even the solution banks seem to be riddled with incorrect answers. I was doing a few moments questions today and it seemed that the solution bank took the length of the rod to be 4 m when it was 6 m in the question. They even took the incorrect value for arctan(1/4). The book really manages to destroy my confidence sometimes...
Reply 1
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Is it just me, or does the Edexcel M2 book have tons of mistakes? Even the solution banks seem to be riddled with incorrect answers. I was doing a few moments questions today and it seemed that the solution bank took the length of the rod to be 4 m when it was 6 m in the question. They even took the incorrect value for arctan(1/4). The book really manages to destroy my confidence sometimes...

Yes: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=279621&d=1398189952

It is very poorly written
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

I'm using that book and am on the Statics of rigid bodies chapter. Is the mistake you've found in that chapter? If so which question. It'll save me tearing my hair out.

I am actually really enjoying that book and I haven't found any errors, I don't think, unless I'm doing it as wrong as the book - which is highly likely. I'm really struggling with statics of rigid bodies.

Thanks for posting that list of errors. I must admit I am careless with units and I don't always follow the exact workings of the examples so I have missed a lot of those errors. But can I ask, why is 5A question 10 an impossible triangle?

Ah, I'm always using the CDROM.
chapter 1 Exercise 3b, for eample, is worked correctly on the CD ROM in as much as it gives the answer that you have.

Thanks though. I've printed the error page and will keep it with the book. A big help and a massive reminder for me to start quoting units properly.
Reply 5
Original post by maggiehodgson
Thanks for posting that list of errors. I must admit I am careless with units and I don't always follow the exact workings of the examples so I have missed a lot of those errors. But can I ask, why is 5A question 10 an impossible triangle?

Sine rule shows the angles add up to more than 180 degrees :L
Reply 6
Ah, I'm always using the CDROM.
chapter 1 Exercise 3b, for eample, is worked correctly on the CD ROM in as much as it gives the answer that you have.

Thanks though. I've printed the error page and will keep it with the book. A big help and a massive reminder for me to start quoting units properly.

You may have a newer edition of the book, if so some of the errors will be corrected.

Also, in the exam you won't get marked down for omission of units
Original post by Gome44
You may have a newer edition of the book, if so some of the errors will be corrected.

Also, in the exam you won't get marked down for omission of units

That could explain it. I have only recently purchased this book.
Reply 8
I'm using that book and am on the Statics of rigid bodies chapter. Is the mistake you've found in that chapter? If so which question. It'll save me tearing my hair out.

I am actually really enjoying that book and I haven't found any errors, I don't think, unless I'm doing it as wrong as the book - which is highly likely. I'm really struggling with statics of rigid bodies.

Hey, check out that PDF. It has everything, but unfortunately, didn't save me from tearing my hair out :P

Quick Reply

Latest