The Student Room Group

Typical Clearing questions?

So I will be ringing up a couple universities for clearing and am wondering what kind of questions they ask, apart from asking about grades.

Has anyone been through this process? I don't want to be unprepared when I ring up the university.
Reply 1
bump
Original post by MintyCherry
So I will be ringing up a couple universities for clearing and am wondering what kind of questions they ask, apart from asking about grades.

Has anyone been through this process? I don't want to be unprepared when I ring up the university.

Have you looked through the TSR section on clearing http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment rather than bumping your thread after a mere half hour?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you looked through the TSR section on clearing http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment rather than bumping your thread after a mere half hour?

Yes I have read through the majority of those threads. No need to get snappy with me.

Hey there,

You'll need to have your personal details, UCAS/Clearing number and qualifications etc. to hand so you're ready to answer all those basic questions.

Universities will want to know a bit more about you too to see if it sounds like the course is right for you. :smile: So be prepared to talk about your interests and why you've chosen to study that subject. It's a good opportunity to get answers to your questions, so it's a good idea to prepare these in advance too :smile: The conversation will be more informal than an interview, but you still need to put yourself across well.

I hope that helps :h: If you've got any other questions let me know. :smile: We've also got a clearing helpline open to everyone (even if you're not thinking about Staffs) so you can always give us call and speak to someone: 03702186241

Katie

In addition to the above post, it's a good idea to have your PS on hand too (or if you haven't written a PS, at least a skeleton of one). This will help you answer questions such as "Why do you want to study X course?" . You might also be asked why you are interested in the particular uni that you've called.

However, there's not a standardised set of questions, and the specific questions you are asked may vary even between different departments at the same university.

It's also a good idea to think of any questions you might want to ask the uni before you call. Once you have a clearing offer, you usually only have 24-48 hours to decide if you want to accept it, so you may not be able to get any further questions answered in time. This is especially important if you haven't visited the university on open days, or their website isn't especially forthcoming with information.

Questions you might want to ask include:

-Can the university help clearing students with accommodation in September? What are the chances of getting a place in halls?
-How is the course assessed, via exams, coursework or a mix of the two?
-How is the course taught? Does this change in second and third year?
-Does the uni offer any additional financial support, such as bursaries?
-What do students who have graduated from the course go on to do?
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
In addition to the above post, it's a good idea to have your PS on hand too (or if you haven't written a PS, at least a skeleton of one). This will help you answer questions such as "Why do you want to study X course?" . You might also be asked why you are interested in the particular uni that you've called.

However, there's not a standardised set of questions, and the specific questions you are asked may vary even between different departments at the same university.

It's also a good idea to think of any questions you might want to ask the uni before you call. Once you have a clearing offer, you usually only have 24-48 hours to decide if you want to accept it, so you may not be able to get any further questions answered in time. This is especially important if you haven't visited the university on open days, or their website isn't especially forthcoming with information.

Questions you might want to ask include:

-Can the university help clearing students with accommodation in September? What are the chances of getting a place in halls?
-How is the course assessed, via exams, coursework or a mix of the two?
-How is the course taught? Does this change in second and third year?
-Does the uni offer any additional financial support, such as bursaries?
-What do students who have graduated from the course go on to do?

Thank you for the advice! :smile:
This is very helpful and I'll try to prepare myself from what you've said. :h:
Thank you for the advice! :smile:
This is very helpful and I'll try to prepare myself from what you've said. :h:

I'm glad you found it helpful.

Don't worry about being a bit nervous. Admissions tutors will expect this, and good ones will do their best to put you at ease. However, the people you speak to will be able to tell the difference between nervous but prepared and those who are absolutely winging it.

I would also recommend ringing from a landline if you can, or at least making sure you have excellent mobile signal. You don't want to be constantly asking someone to repeat themselves because you can't hear, or risk them mishearing you. Try and speak a little more slowly than usual and think about what you are saying. Unfortunately, unlike a face to face interview, you won't have body language to help, so it's really important to be as clear as you can.

If you've never had a phone interview before, it can be quite a weird experience, so consider practicing with a friend or family member.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending