Employment screening: lied about employment dates

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Komakino
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I recently got an offer for a job I really want. But on my CV I lied about some job dates from several years ago because there was a time where I was very depressed and only doing a bit of volunteering and I was worried it would look bad. They're now asking for 5 years of employment history and have got Experian to do a screening. What do I do, can they found out I lied?
I appreciate it's very unethical of me but I just couldn't think of how to explain it.
Chamchu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would claim you rounded it up. Tbh there isnt much you can do. Next time, leave the "bending of the truth" to what you actually did during your experience, not so much on dates and times. There is a chance you will be okay if it was only volunteering on a small scale. I would avoid it in the future.
ReggaeRich
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everyone 'bends the truth' on their CV, to some extent. Hell, in sales it's practically a pre-requisite.

I'd front up to it and explain it as a simple oversight. If you stick to your guns and maintain it's true then you'll be exposed after the background check.

Important point: Employers don't give 'references' any more. They're not allowed to by law. The only thing they CAN confirm is your employment dates.
Spakz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am interested to knowing what happened with this. Did they find out and if they did, did you get the job?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads