Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ahh right ok, which ones are good then? nottingham is isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxer)
    ahh right ok, which ones are good then? nottingham is isn't it?
    There's a load of different threads on this. Nottingham is very good and is supposedly one of the most difficult law schools in the country to get into - just about every Tom, **** and Harry seems to apply there.

Oxbridge are traditionally seen as providing the best education. Today, however, an Oxbridge education will only give you a slight advantage; law firms generally do not have much of a preference for Oxbridge students over others from any top 20 law school.

Good law schools in England include (in no particular order) UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham, Leicester, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds ... there are undoubtedly others but I'm having trouble thinking of them right now! These generally require AAA - AAB at A level.

PS Try not to rely too heavily on league tables, as they're often questionable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Very true. League tables do not represent (and sometimes can be shockingly far off) what law firms percieve as the best Law Schools.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to rely on league tables but want to know the good law schools that the major firms recruit from, check out which firms visit the University's law fair.

muncrun's list of unis all attract the top-10 firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    If you don't want to rely on league tables but want to know the good law schools that the major firms recruit from, check out which firms visit the University's law fair.
    How do you find that out?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info everyone, has been real helpful

ReputationRep:
    There's a load of different threads on this. Nottingham is very good and is supposedly one of the most difficult law schools in the country to get into - just about every Tom, **** and Harry seems to apply there.

Oxbridge are traditionally seen as providing the best education. Today, however, an Oxbridge education will only give you a slight advantage; law firms generally do not have much of a preference for Oxbridge students over others from any top 20 law school.

Good law schools in England include (in no particular order) UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham, Leicester, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds ... there are undoubtedly others but I'm having trouble thinking of them right now! These generally require AAA - AAB at A level.

LSE as well....

And in response to the initial post...i managed to get into my first choice uni with Bio, Phys and maths at A level...need the grades now....i don't think choice of subject really matters that much..just as long as you can show either through interview or in PS that you have other things to offer than just work....

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    LSE as well....
    Knew I was missing at least one. Doh!

ReputationRep:
    Knew I was missing at least one. Doh!
    Never mind...that's the only i could find missing from your list..the rest of it seems about right!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude_)
    I am quite interested in law and would like to see what it really is like? Can someone who is studying law tell me what it is like? is there any books that i can read to see if i like it? I've heard from a lot of people that law is REALLy boring, but it seems to be the contrary from what i've seen.

Also, im doing lit in eng at a level and the rest are science/maths subjects, do u think the uni's will think im not "arts" enough for law? anyone tried with a similar combination?

I'd also want to know how to become a barrister or solicitor after getin a law degree
    im doing biology, chem and maths but that doesnt really matter over here but we had a law talk and the guy giving it said the logic used in maths was very useful in law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    im doing biology, chem and maths but that doesnt really matter over here but we had a law talk and the guy giving it said the logic used in maths was very useful in law.
    Are you entering uni this september....or next year?? Just out of interest?

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)

muncrun's list of unis all attract the top-10 firms.

Hey you did/doing the CPE aren't you? What degree did you do?

Dya think a degree in politics is a good non-law degree?

ReputationRep:
    Are you entering uni this september....or next year?? Just out of interest?

G
    next year unfortunately,i wish the leaving cert was over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    Hey you did/doing the CPE aren't you? What degree did you do?

Dya think a degree in politics is a good non-law degree?
    I did Financial & Business Economics at Newcastle. I'm currently on the CPE.

Politics seems fine to me. I don't think law firms give a damn providing that the course is reputable (i.e. no media studies, sorry but I wouldn't call that reputable :P). Just make sure you get the magic 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    next year unfortunately,i wish the leaving cert was over and done with.
    Lol...good luck...you've got the LNAT as well haven't you....have you decided where you're going to apply yet??

G

ReputationRep:
    Lol...good luck...you've got the LNAT as well haven't you....have you decided where you're going to apply yet??

G
    we dont have to do the LNAT.
    I think im just going to stay in ireland for my degree as i want to be a barrister and need an irish degree for that. i hope to go to the uk for my postgraduate studies.

I'm thinking either the National University of Ireland Galway or Trinity College Dublin im having a hard time of it trying to make up my mind though. Trinity is aparently better but i dont particularly want to live in Dublin rent is also at least 100euro a week.
    I'm also too easily swayed if i meet someone who has been to Galway i want to go there if i talk to someone who went to trinity then i want to go there.

ReputationRep:

G
    we dont have to do the LNAT.
    I think im just going to stay in ireland for my degree as i want to be a barrister and need an irish degree for that. i hope to go to the uk for my postgraduate studies.

I'm thinking either the National University of Ireland Galway or Trinity College Dublin im having a hard time of it trying to make up my mind though. Trinity is aparently better but i dont particularly want to live in Dublin and rent is at least 100euro a week.
    I'm also too easily swayed if i meet someone who has been to Galway i want to go there if i talk to someone who went to trinity then i want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do further maths with my maths a level so i have 3 A levels instead of 2 (i posted about this earlier). Do u think they law schools would dislike my further maths? I've seen earlier that maths is good, but would 2 maths subjects be overdoing it?

Also, im a bit worried about LNAT. Does anyone know how to prepare for it? suggestions anybody?

ReputationRep:
    i would certainly upgrade to further maths and have 3 A-Levels.

I currently (nearly finished - 4 more exams!) study futher maths and i got an offer from durham of ABC, when the typical is AAA/AAB. So i think further maths helped me a lot. My advice is go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    i would certainly upgrade to further maths and have 3 A-Levels.

I currently (nearly finished - 4 more exams!) study futher maths and i got an offer from durham of ABC, when the typical is AAA/AAB. So i think further maths helped me a lot. My advice is go for it.
    If you're from up here (Durham/ Newcastle area) loads of people get ABC offer.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.